Builds My 40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have not painted the lockouts yet. They are gold and not sure after installing them what color they should be. If the 40 gets painted I will decide then what color. Leaning towards blood red.

View attachment 1801274
I kinda like the gold. But red might look good too. I think its a good idea to leave it for later. Thats something you can tinker on when your retired and the rig is on the road. Nice u got the front knuckles all rebuilt. Ive never seen bearing races like that. I would run the brake hoses and after a few test drives check for any cracks or bulges in the hoses and just check them here n their after too. Brake hoses are pretty robust. If they were sitting out in the sun the whole time I would be worried, if inside then they are probably good.
I have not painted the lockouts yet. They are gold and not sure after installing them what color they should be. If the 40 gets painted I will decide then what color. Leaning towards blood red.

What do you attribute the wear pattern on the races to ?

My guess and its a very uneducated guess is that the shims were wrong. My math and the shim calculator math was a lot less than what was in it. Maybe it let the top bearing move just enough that it beat the grooves in it maybe????

Last edited:
My stock height alcan springs vs the 2-3" lift rancho's. I measured the installed height of both brands of springs with the same weight. The Alcans are 1" lower than than the Rancho springs. I also know the stock length bilstein shocks were 1" too short at full extended length. Did not want to buy another set of bilsteins so I went with Monroe gas magnum shocks. Will be ok no more than I will ever drive it, well I should say if I ever get to drive it.

Last edited:
What do you attribute the wear pattern on the races to ?
My understanding is that it is caused by the years of impacts with objects/ wheel vibrations etc. Since the wheels spend the vast majority of their life in the straight position the marks tend to be in one area of the race.

Working on the tbi adapter and wiring. This combo allows the use of a stock air cleaner. The iac plug hits the valve cover and temp sensor. Dug around and found a later thermostat housing that I can mount the temp sender in but the iac? Downeys adapter solves these issues but a stock air cleaner hits the hood. Easiest solution-cut hole in hood and add a hood scoop.

Last edited:
I would run a aftermarket air cleaner so you do not have to cut the hood and do more work.
JP

I currently have a 1970 style intake on it. This is the first time I bolted it on. There is enough clearance with the stock air cleaner using the downey adapter. The bad, it has a bolt hole that broke into the intake tract. Have no exhaust manifold for it. So I bought another intake setup. Its off a 1976 2F. Its currently being machined. Using that set up the air cleaner hits the hood. Did not know the later intake puts the carb base higher. Here is the air cleaner using the downey adapter. Looks like at least 1" of clearance. The perfect solution is buy a F exhaust manifold, get it machined and bolt onto my engine.

Last edited:
Maybe use a plate style adapter than but make one that is about 1" thicker for better iac clearance?

Had one made but they used 1/2" instead of the 1" I asked for. Might try to carve a spacer from some 1/2" plate myself.

Started making the fuel lines. Bolted the line clamps together and bent the tubes. Clamped some boards to the tubes to keep them aligned. Still no intake manifold to mount the tb on. So I just guessed to where they should be at. Need to bend the lines along the firewall and drill a couple holes for nutserts.

Last edited:
Almost finished the fuel lines. Was going to run a solid line from fuel filter to tb. Thought about the difficulty in changing the filter. So I cut a small section of line and replaced it with rubber. Should be easy to replace now. Will need to remove all the lines so they can be bent when going to the tb. Now to finish the vss wiring and brake lines.

Here are the tools I used. Have a nice Mastercool tube flaring tool. If I ever do make anymore fuel lines I will invest in a good tubing bender. My little bender was not much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom