Builds My 40 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bezzle.jpg

:(
Need I say more.

:)

Well I sold that bezel to @kevos37 and it arrived like this. Guess it was karma paying me back for an upside down bezel.

Last edited:
Still waiting for my intake/exhaust manifolds to come back from being machined. So I thought why don't I throw the almost new Alcan springs under it. Now to install the Bilstein shocks and the suspension should be finished. Next up is the fuel lines, brake lines and rebuilt the front axle. When thats done hopefully everything will be here to finish the engine. Maybe a starting of the engine by Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
The main objective is to get it running and driving before I retire. Will be selling anything and everything that is not necessary to accomplish this.

Last edited:
I have come to terms with my build. Tried to sell the complete rig but its not worth the effort to do it. Had a few guys come and look at it. Got tired of the complaints about it.

The main objective is to get it running and driving before I retire. Will be selling anything and everything that is not necessary to accomplish this. About a month before we move to Finland the 40 will be sent to be crushed. Maybe and just maybe after 30+ years I might actually get to drive a 40. Not putting much hope in it though.
You'll only be able to sell a incomplete rig for pennies-especially if it doesn't run. Why do u want to sell It? It's almost done and your down to the easier stuff now. This is what I do to are my builds go faster. Get yourself a white board and a marker. Write down a list of things u got left to do. Number the items in order to make easiest to get done. Also have same list on your cell phone in a notes app. When your hanging out and another item that u think of u forgot, put it in your cell phones list and add it to the white board later. Stick to the list and it's order. Doing this easily doubles my production rate. It also saves me a lot of frustration and having to back track or redo things. Also, why do u want to go to Finland? Isn't it freezing cold their?

You'll only be able to sell a incomplete rig for pennies-especially if it doesn't run. Why do u want to sell It? It's almost done and your down to the easier stuff now. This is what I do to are my builds go faster. Get yourself a white board and a marker. Write down a list of things u got left to do. Number the items in order to make easiest to get done. Also have same list on your cell phone in a notes app. When your hanging out and another item that u think of u forgot, put it in your cell phones list and add it to the white board later. Stick to the list and it's order. Doing this easily doubles my production rate. It also saves me a lot of frustration and having to back track or redo things. Also, why do u want to go to Finland? Isn't it freezing cold their?

I have a detailed list for electrial, fuel injection, suspension, axles and drivetrain.

Finland. My wife is from there. I have no kids or siblings so there really is nothing to keep me here. Finland is one of the world's best kept secrets. Absolutely perfection in the summertime. Wintertime is a white wonderland. We should be able to retire there in 2020. If we stay in the US my earliest I can retire is 2026 or so. If you had the options I do, what would you do?

Dropped the distributor in. Have about 1/4" engagement to oil pump. So to double check I removed the dist and measured everything. Its 1/4" and thats the minimum recommended.

Last edited:
I have a detailed list for electrial, fuel injection, suspension, axles and drivetrain.

Finland. My wife is from there. I have no kids or siblings so there really is nothing to keep me here. Finland is one of the world's best kept secrets. Absolutely perfection in the summertime. Wintertime is a white wonderland. We should be able to retire there in 2020. If we stay in the US my earliest I can retire is 2026 or so. If you had the options I do, what would you do?
Oh cool I didn't know that about Finland. Can u bring the 40?

If it’s perfection in summertime and a white winter wonderland in winter, I’d bring the 40 regardless the cost. You’ll have the coolest ride on the block, and you’ll be retired to enjoy it.

If you button up your build and drive it you’ll understand why. If you’re not bringing it, never drive it! Finish your build, have some one else test drive it, and sell it complete... otherwise you’ll find yourself in Finland searching for another cruiser fix. :D

A pic before I installed the oil pan. Is something missing of the driver side of the engine?

Last edited:
Working on EFI electrial some. Coolerman sent a new rear harness so I was going to install the tail lights but the brackets are wrong. Well I guess finishing the wiring will be later.

While waiting for over a year on the engine to be finished I changes 3rd members to 3.70's. Went to finish that up this morning. Now to find my knuckle rebuild kit. Might need bearings.

Last edited:
Started the fuel lines a couple days ago. Only could get short sections locally. Asked about getting a 15' roll of 3/8" tubing. Ended up ordering a roll from inline tube. Did get a short section of tube to use from gas tank to the bulkhead connections. Dug out my tube beading tool to flare a bead on the ends. Will use flexible barrier FI hose in between the tubes. If the gas tank ever needs to be removed it should be easy to get the lines out of the way.

Last edited:
Still waiting for the intake and exhaust to be machined. No idea when that will be finished. Installed new races in the axle housing. Used the knuckle centering tool. After measuring twice I got the same results. The original lower shim is correct but the upper shim is way different. Original upper is .058 and what the shim calculator and my math says is .019. Guess the new koyo bearings are just a bit different that the originals.

Last edited:
Passenger side shims are different also. Lower was .039 but now its .017. Upper was .060 now .031. I had .019 shim for the lower and .028 for the upper. That was the closest I could get. Both sides were set with 10lb.

Last edited:
How old is too old for new soft brake lines??? I bought these a long time ago but never had brake fluid in them. Dated January 1994. Guess thats how old the new calipers, wheel cylinders and brake pads are but they have never been used.

Last edited:
Knuckle rebuild almost done. Need to paint the lock out hub and dial still, black for outer ring and ?? for dial. Was thinking a butterscotch similar to the mid 70's 3/4 ton lock outs. Just a pic from the internet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom