Builds My New Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a two-for one deal and I couldn't pass it up. This was the first one that made the trip home.

It was knee deep in Texas sage brush so I didn't get to look too closely since I was buying this mainly for windows and other misc parts.

Come to find out when I got home, it has a '78 2F transplanted in it. I haven't studied these too much to know exactly what I'm looking at with regard to motors since my FJ40 had an SBC. Hmmm.... Wonder what other surprises I'll find? Many I'm sure.

For one, the PTO winch looks like a decoration (no driveline and I haven't crawled under to see if the transfer case parts are there).

Not too much rust rot although it's got the normal areas on fenders and rocker panels. Floor pans look solid. Can't wait to look further.

I'll post a few pictures when I pick up the other one.
IMG_3258.jpg
IMG_3304.jpg

The other one I'm picking up has the better body and A/C but no windows. I'll probably combine the best of both and part-out the rest. Between the two I think I have a real good start.

But then again I exceeded my budget on my FJ40 by 100%. My wife's estimate was much closer. I'm not sure I want to even try to estimate this time or I'll never hear the end of it from my :princess:

i've got one of those old ramseys onmy 45. nice score

So this is the '70 that has a fairly good body. The only rust sport are the right front fender panels and those will be really easy to fix.

So my plan is to make this into a daily driver for when I move to Colorado. I'm convinced a new car isn't worth the money anymore so I've decided to go old school and have something that doesn't cost me $1000 for a mechanic to look at.

My plan is to swap out the 1F for a 5.3L SBC with 4l60 automatic. I'll probably go SOA and add a few modern touches but keep with tradition where I can. I hope the A/C unit in this thing can be salvaged.

If anyone need engine or transmission parts from these, let me know. I hate to junk them if someone can use them.

Let the fun begin.
IMG_3471.jpg
IMG_3485.jpg
IMG_3502.jpg

Amarillo. Not sure if the spent their life there but I bought both from the same person.

Look what I found for my pig. 5.3l vortec with 68k miles. Now I need to study electronics to see I can figure this out.

This should be fun. Just need to find a transmission and a t-case adapter.
image-163284711.jpg

Last edited:
how much was the vortec? You are planning an auto?

What year vortec? For tranny, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting the tranny that came off the back of the engine. Things work out MUCH easier;)

As opposed to those pesky tranny's off the front of the engine? Those are a giant PIA.

how much was the vortec? You are planning an auto?

I picked it up for $700 complete with all the accessories, ecm and wiring harness.

What year vortec? For tranny, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting the tranny that came off the back of the engine. Things work out MUCH easier;)

2004 - I'm planning to find a 4l60e that would go with it. This came out of a 2004 GMC pickup where the owner got a desire to swap in a 6.0L. so the transmission didn't stay attached.

Are 4l60e transmissions different by year does anyone know? I see lot's locally but want to make sure something special isn't required for a 2004 model.

Thanks.

Nik

Did you get the wiring harness down to the tranny?

If so, track down a 2004 4l60e. It will make your life SOOO much easier. If you are going to retain the stock FJ tcase, get a two wheel drive version.

My 6.0 is a 2004 also. Stock, mine came with a 4l80e... I went with NV4500... it has cost me an arm and a leg:rolleyes:

Some advice:

1. Get a new H3 oil pan... fairly cheap.
  2. Use a newer FJ55 "hump" hood
If you do both the above, you can fit the Vortec in with the fancy cover AND not have to go spring over.:lol:

Drive by wire is not too bad. You will need to lengthen the stock pedal in the middle.

Yes, got the wiring to the transmission.

I was probably going to spring-over anyway. I read your thread and thought I would follow your path. I may be needing some measurements or pictures here and there as I get more into this.

From what I read on your post, this should fit under the hood without the H3 oil pan and hump hood, is that correct?

Call Painless and have they build you a harness and it will be plug nd play. Did you get the computer.

It's been a while, time for an update

So a little vacation time in the man-cave and was able to try out my new reciprocating saw to remove the old stock engine mounts. Why did I wait so long to ask Santa Claus for one of these?

I also took advantage of the Advance Adapter Christmas sale and ordered a transfer rebuild kit and and 4l60e adapter. Today, I dissembled the transfer case so I could start to bolt pieces together for fitting of the engine. I'm hoping I can test fit with just the gearless t-case. I need to rebuild the 4l60e I picked up so while I have it apart, I'll be able to shorten the shaft to accommodate the AA spud shaft. So in the mean-time, I'm just test fitting then I'll remove to do all the rebuilds.

I spent some time in the shop at work trying out their new plasma table. I was able to make quick work of an engine mount that took advantage of some left-over spring bushings from my 40 project.

If all goes well tomorrow, I'll temporarily stuff the engine under the hood so I can figure out where to place the beast. I also need to figure out what I'm going to do for a transmission mount. I have lots of ideas from here on the forum so shouldn't be too difficult to steal an idea or two.
IMG_0042.jpg
IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

So a pulled my 5.3L out of the corner of the garage and started to strip off all the electrical wiring. The wiring is enough to scare you. I'm a computer guy and still this amount of electronics is a bit intimidating.

Once that was complete, I mounted up the transmission and the case from the transfer. I'm hoping I can get away with minimal components to do the test fitting.

Then the fun began. I hate to bother people when I can do things myself so I stuffed the engine in without help. Just a little at a time and some creative positioning of the chains.

I go it stuffed in and hanging from a cradle I built to level and hold the engine. I had a family commitment so I was in a hurry and didn't get pictures. I'll post them up later.
IMG_0062.jpg
IMG_0063.jpg
IMG_0064.jpg

Looking good NikP. I just put a 5.3L in my 40 a few days ago so your pics look very familiar. I am not a computer guy so you can guess how the wiring and computer for the engine might look to me! :mad:

I look forward to following your progress!

Happy New Year!

So another good chunk of time in the garage. I got the engine where I want it and I think I've got enough room for it all to fit. I took lessons from Lil'John's build and I think I'm low enough to get the Vortec cover installed and not have hood clearance issues. If you disagree let me know since I haven't welded motor mounts yet.

The pictures shows a 2x2 piece of square tubing and it sits just below it. Based on rough measures of the hood I should have and inch or so to spare in the end or maybe a smudge more.
IMG_0070.jpg
IMG_0072.jpg
IMG_0073.jpg

I also decided to cut out the rear hump cover and extend it a couple inches. I did this to gain an inch or two more clearance for the transfer case as it hung below the frame 2-3 inches. Now I've got it just less than two inches and should still have clearance for vacuum shift hoses and linkages. (cross fingers)

I cut my motor mounts to fit for the final welding so you can get an idea of how they look. I'll probably machine them down 1/4 inch and weld them to a 1/4 flat plate and weld the flat plate to the frame.

If you have any doubts about needing to do a spring over you'll see in the picture there is no question. Does anyone know if the diff flange from fj60 axles will sit any further to the outside than stock? I haven't done any measuring on the 60 axles and hope it sits an inch or so further to the right so in a sever flex I won't have to worry.
IMG_0079.jpg
IMG_0075.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom