Builds My New Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's your plan for the shock mount? The box looks centered over the axle

Yes near centered. I had issues moving it forward with the return line from the GM pump. I'll probably build some type of hoop to compensate for the gear's location.

Yes near centered. I had issues moving it forward with the return line from the GM pump. I'll probably build some type of hoop to compensate for the gear's location and serve as a shock mount.

Made some shock hoops

I got a small amount of shop time this weekend and mocked up some shock hoops. i still have to cut the stock mount off the passenger side and then fit it all with the fenders but I'm thinking these will do.
IMG_1172[1].jpg
IMG_1173[1].jpg
IMG_1174[1].jpg

NikP, are you satisfied, with the steering clearance? What kind of shaft, did you use, between the Boregeson Joints and lastly, what app. are the Sanderson headers, made for.

I think it's turning out, very well, good job.

Thanks, Ron

Last edited:
NikP, are you satisfied, with the steering clearance? What kind of shaft, did you use, between the Boregeson Joints and lastly, what app. are the Sanderson headers, made for.

I think it's turning out, very well, good job.

Thanks, Ron

I guess we'll see on the clearance. I really won't be able to know for sure until it's all running. The good thing is I can space the gear out by installing washers so I'm not too concerned. I have 1/2 inch of clearance or more at all points.

The shaft in the picture is temporary. It's a scrap 3/4 DD that was attached to an old steering column. I have a new shaft but didn't want to cut it to length until I was sure about final fit.

The headers are LS1 huggers. Part number CC1LS1-SEC

So after three weeks on an airplane to S. Africa and Australia for work, I finally got some shop time.

I made some clearance room for my stock truck oil pan by having one of the guys at work do a bit of aluminum welding. I think the net result of my modification will provide about the same clearance as if I traded out for a camaro oil pan except I didn't have to dish out the $250-300 required to purchase it.

I'll give a try and I've always got alternatives.
IMG_1373.jpg
IMG_1375.jpg

Once the engine clearance was fixed I pulled the engine out to do all my final welding on spring perches, motor mounts and shock mounts.

I'm getting close to the time when I'll pull the body off and send it and the frame out for blasting. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to pull the body off. I'm not sure how heavy it is and if I can lift it with something like and engine hoist to get it set on saw horses so the frame can roll out from under it. Ideas are appreciated since I'm trying to do this in my own garage.
IMG_1386.jpg
IMG_1388.jpg

Nik, your rig is looking good...if you need help with the body/frame send me a PM or email.

Brian

I seen them go in a door opening and mount the hoist to the seat bolt holes. Might have to play with it a few times, to get it balanced. Then, just raise it up enough to put your jack stands, etc., under the body. Piece a cake! :)

Intimidated

So while I've got the body and frame being media blasted, I thought I tackle the intimidating job of rebuilding the GM 4L60E. Boy I seem over my head when I look at this compared to rebuilding the stock Toyota 4-speed and transfer case.

Just cross my fingers that this thing works when I'm done!:):)
IMG_1459[1].jpg
IMG_1461[1].jpg
IMG_1465[1].jpg

Oh Man, you did it now! That would be a big can of worms , for me. Good luck with it, everything is looking like it's under control. How do you like your oil pan, think it's going to be out of the way.

Thanks, Ron

good work on going spring over, I scrapped doing a vortec in my 55 because I figured there is no way to fit it with the stock spring under configuration, looks like I was right and it is going to be tight for you even with the spring over and shaved pan.....

Got the frame back from media blasting... and immediately went to put a coat of epoxy primer on it. Thankful I have access to a lift at work. It made it so easy vs. crawling around on the floor hoping to get good coverage.

Maybe this weekend I can get a coat of black on it. Then I can set the motor and the freshly rebuilt transmission and transfer case in.

Hibernation in the garage for the winter doing body work.
IMG_1481.jpg
IMG_1480.jpg

Looks good. How hard was it, getting all the sand, out of the frame.

Wanted to ask about your transmission rebuild. go ok?

Looks good. How hard was it, getting all the sand, out of the frame.

Wanted to ask about your transmission rebuild. go ok?

I was able to connect a flexible hose to the air nozzle on my compressor and get the sand out of one side relatively easy.

The other side I still have work to do because it appears the frame was packed full of mud. I tried to chip away at it but didn't want to spend all night. I'll probably run a garden hose in there since the water should loosen the mud pack better than air. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Transmission build ... we will only know when I put it in drive to take the first spin. The manual is pretty good and once you get into it, it's not as intimidating. The only thing I hate is the fact that most rebuild kits send a whole bunch of parts to cover the various years and differences. This causes you to end up with left-over parts and I find myself second guessing if I've left something out.

I saved some money by doing it myself but I'm not sure if it was something I'd do again. Don't do it if you don't have the right tools. It requires a couple press tools that my brother-in-law had so that was good. I still didn't have all the right tools for installing a few key o-rings and seals. There are teflon seals on the main shaft which are the last few parts to assemble. There's a special tool to install them which must help limit the expansion of the seal as it goes over the shaft. Then there's a corresponding compression tool to re-form it. I used a hose clamp; so we'll see later if that was successful.

I'll just cross my fingers. If it drives, then I'll do it again. If it doesn't then... oh well I'll get more familiar with how it works.

Well, I have to give you two thumbs up, for taking it on. I get out of my comfort zone, on some of these things, but try to remind myself it's just a hobby.

That frame looks awesome!!! A little primer followed by some paint and you have a really big part of the job done. It's got to make you feel good seeing some great progress.

You may already know this but don't get too paint crazy with the springs as they can actually get painted together. Makes for a questionable ride. Just a light coat is best on them. Please don't ask how I came to know that. :hillbilly:

I got to spend a little time in the shop today. I got rear shock mounts welded on along with with brackets for the sock anti-sway bar. After that, I had time to paint it.

I'm getting excited now. It's been a year in the garage and finally starting to complete something. I hoping the body doesn't require a bunch of panel replacements after being media blasted. Based on what I've seen I might be one of the lucky ones not to have to rework body mounts, rocker and floor panels. Cross the fingers.
image-4263923006.jpg
image-3094364739.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom