My Baby's Cummin(s) Along (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe take a look at LED headlights. I have the JW Speaker lights, and the buckets are super shallow. This allowed me to have a MUCH wider radiator.

Good luck!
I have Racer's LED headlights now. I'd have to find the later style buckets and notch the bib to get any more room.

You wrote that you want to ditch the AA style propeller. Any particular reason why? I'm trying to get a parts list for my own R2.8 conversion and I was gong to buy one.

You wrote that you want to ditch the AA style propeller. Any particular reason why? I'm trying to get a parts list for my own R2.8 conversion and I was gong to buy one.

Mine is the old style with the stock cover so it's two pieces and it leaks. No matter what I did, it would eventually start leaking. Plus I have an NV4500 that's pretty heavy being supported by the xfer case. A lot of people run the xfer case support w/o problems, and others recommend the transmission support. So, now that it's apart, I'm going to try something different.

I have Racer's LED headlights now. I'd have to find the later style buckets and notch the bib to get any more room.

If I remember correctly there is definately some difference with spacing between the late model and early buckets.... probably 2 inches at least. I can hobble out and measure the late model buckets for you..

If I remember correctly there is definately some difference with spacing between the late model and early buckets.... probably 2 inches at least. I can hobble out and measure the late model buckets for you..

Thanks, but no need. I put the intercooler between the old buckets and it looks like it'll fit. Will know more tomorrow.

I placed the engine to the best of my ability, so I could do the motor mounts.
Passenger side being painted.
Motor Mount Pass Side.jpg

Driver side installed.
Motor Mount Driver Side Installed.jpg

Later, I'll decide if I want to bolt or weld them to the frame.

Now I get to work on the tranny mount.

Did you fab those motor mounts?

Did you fab those motor mounts?
Yes.
The passenger side needs to have a little of the weld ground down so the bolt will seat properly.

For those wondering about the motor mounts.

I trimmed a some 3" angle to fit on the frame.

I used some thin stiff cardboard and made a sleeve that would fit around the 2x3 tubing and was shorter than the distance from the engine to the frame. Then I slid the sleeve off the tubing and taped it to the engine side.

Using a hot glue gun, I glued pieces of cardboard to the sleeve, conforming to the angle on the frame.

I removed the cardboard template and slid it over the tubing. After marking around it, I removed the template and cut it out using a cut off wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder.

Test fit, tack, remove and finish weld.

I used foam core board the first time and couldn't get a good fit. It was too thick. After I switched to the thin cardboard, it was a snap.

Maybe crude, but it worked.

Motor mount sleeve.jpg
Motor mount pattern on angle.jpg

Very cool build. Can’t wait to hear what it will be like in the 40. Seat of the pants driving impression, etc...,,

Not exactly.
Been mocking up the brackets to hold the I/C, condenser and radiator all together. Looks like everything will work.
Today, I'm doing the frame brackets for the radiator assembly.
Need to pull the radiator assembly and bolt everything together.
Cooling-System-Mockup.jpg

How far did you have to move the Radiator .. About to start my install Friday, The new H55f will be here I think I have everything I need ..

How far did you have to move the Radiator .. About to start my install Friday, The new H55f will be here I think I have everything I need ..

I can't tell you how far it was moved because it didn't have a stock radiator when I started.
If you look carefully at the pic, you can see the bottom of the radiator is at the end of the stock radiator support brackets. Of course it's dependent on the thickness of your radiator/IC/condenser assy.

Good luck on your build.:bounce:

Nice John ... Ya I assumed to fit all that in there, and looking at the Icon build, we have to come back at least 4" which looks about what you did

More pics !! lol

Cheers
Steve

Got the radiator leveled, plumbed and squared with a mount on the passenger side frame. Still need to weld a diagonal brace in to stiffen it.
Rad Mount PS.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom