Builds Absalom's HDJ81 Build Thread - Restomod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time Toyota guy, just picked up my first 1990 HDJ81 and figured I'd do a build thread on my progress so far. I purchased her at auction in Osaka, Japan about 3 months ago, but only took delivery about 2 weeks ago in Long Beach. It was surely the longest and most excruciating wait of my life! She's got 264k seemingly well maintained kilometers on her, and is in pretty amazing shape considering her age! There is a bit of peeling paint on the rear right fender flare, but the rest of the paint is mostly intact. There's also a heavily cracked dash, and extremely faded interior plastic that's being restored now.

Rbiuxs9.jpg

qx75gBw.jpg

Now, on to the good: triple locked with factory winch (and winch controller), working center freezer/fridge with ice-cube trays, cruise control, rear disc brakes, sunroof, and much more. The motor runs very smooth, and trans shifts relatively well albeit a bit rough, or more truck-like than I'm used to. I suspect an ATF flush as well as kickdown cable adjustment will sort this out.

xq3RHf4.png

The plan: She's got some play in the steering, about 2.5" inches in fact, but I suspect a busted tie-rod is contributing to this. So I won't make any adjustments to the box until I have all brand new steering ends and tie rod ends. I'd hate to overadjust and cook my box in the process. The shocks are also completely blown, so I'll be replacing with brand new OEM shocks for now. Fox 2.0's down the road, but I have a strict budget from this stupid Dave Ramsey class, so I got to prioritize.

LDUj78w.jpg

This trucked is slated to be my new client car/DD (I'm a Realtor), so it must present very well. So the emphasis will be on maintenance, aesthetics, noise, and ride quality. To the first goal, BEB's are en route, the front end will be completely redone, front and rear axles rebuilt, all fluids changed to Toyota brand, and belts/thermostat replaced. I still have 44k km's left on t-belt and water pump, so I can put that on the backburner for now.

cSDHuqe.jpg

For aesthetics, the truck will receive a full paint job, less the door jams, in Nissan KAD metallic. The front bumper will be replaced with either a TJM T17 or a Slee without hoops. I'll also be looking to retain the factory winch, so I'll need to do more research on this and see what's involved. The wheels will be swapped to Level 8 Strike 6's repainted in a gunmetal finish, and the tires will be 265/75/16 Duratracs in load range C. The window tint will be 50% from B pillar back, 70% on driver/passenger, and then 90% on windshield. New DEPO glass headlights fitted with a DDM projector HID kit (55w, 4300k) will also be installed.

I'm literally copying this color scheme since I'm so lazy!
Z9kkjii.jpg

For noise, I'll be doing sound deadening install throughout the floor boards and doors, although I haven't decided on a brand yet. I'll be retaining the factory exhaust and mufflers, although I'm considering swapping out the small muffler under the driver's door for a catalytic converter to help with diesel fumes at idle. While this isn't hugely important to me, it's important that clients don't think I drive a tractor. I'll also be installing a 3" electric exhaust cutout that will dump right in front of the rear right tire. This will be fed by a 3" downpipe with no other restrictions. This way, I'll be able to dial up the fun once I'm clear of clients.

yOLvQxG.jpg

Finally, ride quality. This is an issue which I constantly obsess over. Before my truck arrived, I was anxious that the solid front axle would create a very harsh ride. I was pleasantly surprised to see just how smooth these trucks ride. Miles better than either of my old 4runners. However, I'm sure this would be ruined very quickly by installing poorly valved shocks and a lift kit; just like my 4runner. So I'll be taking my time experimenting with different setups. It's imperative that the truck stay at stock height so as to make ingress and egress easier for clients. So I'm stuck with factory springs or 861/862's. So as mentioned above, I'll initially be running new OEM shocks to establish a baseline. From there, I'll most likely try 861/862 and make sure I don't gain too much height. Finally, if I find myself driving "past" the capability of the shocks off road, I'll upgrade to Fox 2.0 IFP's. So comfort trumps all with this build.

I'll be doing several other smaller projects along the way, documenting as much as I can with my trusty $100 Craigslist SLR. Projects such as double-din navigation install, interior restoration, exterior trim restoration, carpet refresh, leather seat swap, and more. So, just like all my past build threads, I have very thick skin, so lay on the comments, criticisms, and questions!

When doing your tie rod ends, get upgraded drag link and tie rod from Slee. I've got play in my steering and my drag link has a slight bend from the previous owner... Makes the whole process much easier as it is an effort to get the old ends off sometimes.

That is dedication and patience. Welcome!

The PO, and judging from the handwriting in the original owner's manual, the only owner, was a heavy smoker. The floor was covered in foil wrappers, ash, cigarette butts, and other fun things. I quickly realized the easiest way to thoroughly clean the entire interior, would be to ... remove the entire interior. So I yanked all the seats out, as well as the majority of the interior plastics. I figured I'd begin restoring the plastics as they were quite the eyesore.

GWFNTH7.jpg

aGjmOMt.jpg

Spent just under a billion dollars on SEM's interior finishing sprays, and got to work. First, the seats are very much collapsed and the foam is disbursing itself on the carpet flooring. I'm eagerly looking forward to swapping in a set of new seats, once I find a set. I was tempted to remove the tacky vinyl seat covers and see what the cloth is like underneath, but the foam just disintegrated when I'd reach into the seat rails, so I left them alone.

cAx3oF1.jpg

g51MQHY.jpg

Next, following the instructions on the SEM cans, I setup a high-end cleaning station, re-purposing my son's rarely used swimming pool. I used homemade powdered laundry detergent to clean the plastics, and then hit them with the SEM plastic cleaner. Once dry, I laid down a few coats of plastic adhesion promoter, followed by a few coats of Color Coat in Graphite color. This stuff is fantastic to work with, and once you figure out a rhythm, very rewarding.

6xGHxCa.jpg

LCx15tu.jpg

piBhgFQ.jpg

hj8GPr3.jpg

While the plastic was drying, I assaulted the interior with the shop vac, and in a matter of minutes the truck was looking much better. I also discovered what would become my next big project. The owner had installed an old GPS unit on top of the dash about 285 years ago, using a very sticky rubber mount. The rubber mount was huge, and had completely bonded with the vinyl dash. Unfortunately, unless I wanted to have a Japanese-speaking GPS unit for the rest of time, I had to destroy the dash removing the mount. Trust me when I say, it was incredibly well bonded. I've never seen paint stick to metal this well, and to this day, a palm-sized chunk of dash is still bonded with that damn GPS mount. So this was a small morale blow, but looking back now I'm glad, as I've had a great opportunity to learn a new skill; the highly labor intensive process of restoring a 25 year old dash!

FUH9oCA.jpg

Before diving into the dash, I gave some much needed love to the faded front end and windshield wipers. The front fascia and grill look as though they hadn't seen paint in a decade, and the wipers were well rusted. So, I got some SEM trim paint (they have a paint system for every project, it seems), scuffed with 400, and laid down a few medium wet coats. The results: amazing, and have completely transformed the front of the truck. I imagine a new bumper will really tie the whole look together as well. I plan on leaving the "TOYOTA" a brushed aluminum look, and then painting the "TURBO" a fire-engine red. Should bring a nice, subtle pop to the front.

BhRYQTS.jpg

03AeOkO.jpg

VNKBU41.jpg

Loving the attention to detail so far! The console turned out great.

Nice. That original paint is very Japanese looking.

Big things in store for the truck, but in the meantime, let me catch everyone up with the latest! I got the front end buttoned up with the repainted trim. In my opinion, it looks much better than before, but I do plan on painting the "turbo" on the grille red. I also continued attempting to repair the dash pad from the aforementioned GPS mount damage. It's clear that my calling isn't that of an auto body repairman, this stuff is delicate work. In my defense, the dash pad was pretty far gone, and it's a touch more presentable now. I am, however, going to make another stab at it, and see if I can't blend the texture a touch better.

jnvz39Z.jpg

pScEdTp.jpg

H2t9zfa.jpg

YZhIyCU.jpg

aWvtcHw.jpg

Next, I replaced all of the horribly rusted shocks with brand new OEM shocks. What a massive difference!! Rides wonderfully now, though I wouldn't be upset if they were a tad stiffer. I still plan on Fox 2.0's with 861/862's down the road though, but this is a great placeholder solution in the meantime. The replaced shocks looked to be completely original, and provided no dampening whatsoever. It's one of the more exciting and satisfying repairs I've ever made before on a vehicle.

yUsU2Ii.jpg

After procrastinating for several days, I finally tackled the BEB's. The job was actually quite enjoyable, and I was relieved to see both the engine, and the original BEB's, were in fantastic shape! I used all new Toyota bolts and Taiho bearings, complete with fully synthetic oil and Toyota oil filter to finish her off. She purred like a very happy kitten when it was all said and done. I also managed to do a second ATF drain n' fill, but am still struggling to get the proper fluid level to show on the dipstick. Fortunately, I seem to be getting closer, and am rewarded with very smooth, yet confident shifting.

FA7f0cf.jpg

I also changed the rear brake pads, which were non-existent, and did a complete brake flush. What a difference! I can now hold back the truck while in 4-LO, which I was unable to do before. Braking performance is an important feature for me, so I've ordered modern 97' OEM brake rotors, calipers, and 100 series pads to install after the truck gets back from the body shop.

LfiA6iE.jpg

6bK5p5U.jpg

7ZJKyuW.jpg

The truck also received a full tint job, necessary here in AZ. I went with 35% ceramic in the back and then 55% ceramic on the two front windows. I'll be looking to get Llumar Blue 80% on the front windshield once the two rock chips are plugged. I also installed a Jensen GPS sterero with bluetooth, HD radio, etc. Makes the truck feel like home! Also not pictured are the 3" straight exhaust, and a keyless entry with remote start!

3Uj3SnT.jpg

The current state of the truck: I am currently waiting on a full respray in Toyota 1G3 (Magnetic Metallic Grey) from a body shop here in Arizona. I had to strip the entire truck of cladding, fender flares, door handles, tire carrier, bumpers, etc etc ... what a chore! In any case, she received primer on Thursday, and is getting base n' clear on Monday (12/6). I've been very busy in the meantime, and have ordered the aforementioned brakes, all new tie rod ends, knuckle rebuild kit, relay rod ends, LCA bushings, 16" Level 8 wheels, and 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATM's! I'm also hoping to get the entire interior redone within the next few weeks, find some 861/862 coils, and also find a suitable bumper for the front. So it's been very busy, and will remain this way until I'm confident she's ready for full-time client duty!

za9bqpX.jpg

hUw9heU.jpg

When doing your tie rod ends, get upgraded drag link and tie rod from Slee. I've got play in my steering and my drag link has a slight bend from the previous owner... Makes the whole process much easier as it is an effort to get the old ends off sometimes.
Good to know! I went with OEM this time, but will certainly consider this for the next time. This truck won't be doing extremely demanding off-roading, so I'm hoping OEM is good enough for my needs. I do plan on importing a Nissan Patrol from EU within the next 6 months, and dedicating that to full time trail duty!

That is dedication and patience. Welcome!
Thanks, no kidding about the patience! However, once I drove the 1HDT, it was all worth it! More people need to experience this amazing motor.

Loving the attention to detail so far! The console turned out great.
Thanks! I wish the dash pad turned out half as well as the console. I'm actually 80% certain I'll be respraying the entire interior plastic black, to match the marine vinyl going on the seats!

Nice. That original paint is very Japanese looking.
My thoughts exactly, and while I'm sure many purists like it, I was very excited to lay down some new colors. Can't wait to see how the Magnetic Grey turns out!

The previous owner of my car was also a smoker and wowee it took a toll on the interior plastics! Was the handbrake grip discolored on yours?

Oh yeah and I will be following your build, nice rig!

Fantastic job. I loved building my 81 series. A lot more fun than the 40 I am busy with.
There are still low mileage 80 coming out of Japan. There is one here on local land cruiser forum with less than 80 000KM on the clock and clean as new.

Sweet truck! I recognize you from t4r.org (also a 3rd gen 4runner guy). I'm a little iffy on this truck as a realtor-mobile (I'm a Realtor as well), but I guess it all depends on your clientele. I can only imagine the RHD conversations. I gave a client a ride in my LX450 *once* and that was enough to convince me to take the IS350 or TSX to all appointments. Some of my folks also look down their nose at anything older than 5-10 years. :eek:

Excited to see the paint on there.

A RHD HDJ81 would be a "conversation starter" in AZ for sure! I was a 3rd gen 4Runner guy (well , Hilux Surf I guess), and your username does seem familiar to me as well, but that was 4+ years ago already.

Wouldn't black vinyl seats be stupid hot in AZ?

Do you have any other pics of the center console removed from your interior you could post up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom