My Baby's Cummin(s) Along (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yes, hurry up! ;)

yes, hurry up! ;)
You know you're welcome to come over and help. LOL
Things don't go half as fast with one person vs two. It seems to take 10 times longer.

So advanced adaptor and axis are both making adaptors for the cummins r2.8?

Good timing ...
OK guys, as AA is totally back ordered of these R2.8 kits I called Axis in a panic as I need this stuff asap, and it turns out that in actual fact it is Axis that is making these adapters for AA. So, just wanted to thank John for posting his link because I now have a kit on the way !! '

Thanks John
Cheers
Steve

Good timing ...
OK guys, as AA is totally back ordered of these R2.8 kits I called Axis in a panic as I need this stuff asap, and it turns out that in actual fact it is Axis that is making these adapters for AA. So, just wanted to thank John for posting his link because I now have a kit on the way !! '

Thanks John
Cheers
Steve
:bounce:
I didn't know they made the AA version.
Phoenix Casting and Machining said they had an adapter for ,I think a 3.3 and said it would fit. But, when I sent some measurements they said the 2.8 was different. The last I heard was they had received drawings for the 2.8 and that was the last I heard from them so I ordered the Axis.

Good call John, yes it seems that Axis has made all of these for AA (18 for Jeeps and just 2 for the LS in the 1st batch)
Great guys to deal with, heck they even shipped the very same day for me !

Cheers
Steve

My addapter from AA was delayed by 2 weeks, but finally received it Monday. Axis also confirmed they made it for AA. my transmission is a 4L60-E

Bumpity, bump, bump. Any updates? I'm itching to see how this goes, and dying to put one in my '40...

Bumpity, bump, bump. Any updates? I'm itching to see how this goes, and dying to put one in my '40...
Not much in the way of updates.
Finally got the old motor mounts off. Had to use a combination of cut off wheels on the grinder, air chisel and the plasma torch. Couldn't get to the mounts without removing the fenders and bib. Should have taken them off at the start, but I thought I could work around it.
Next step is to install the engine and locate the new motor/transmission mounts and hope I have enough driveshaft length to allow for the radiator/fan, intercooler, and A/C condenser.

Hey guys, I am also doing a r2.8 swap on my 1990 Toyota 4Runner. The previous owner ran it until there was a hole in the engine block, so I decided to this swap to it! There are still a lot of work to do, but I am projected to be done by May.

20171112_173714.jpg
20180106_211658.jpg
I am running with 4l60e with a np241 passenger drop.
20180107_124853.jpg

I still need to lift the back up, but it is looking good so far.
20180113_113442.jpg

The engine wouldn't fit on the stock IFS, so I went with trail gear's IFS eliminator kit.
20180101_210559.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am also doing a r2.8 swap on my 1990 Toyota 4Runner. The previous owner ran it until there was a hole in the engine block, so I decided to this swap to it! There are still a lot of work to do, but I am projected to be done by May.

View attachment 1616722 View attachment 1616726I am running with 4l60e with a np241 passenger drop.
View attachment 1616728
I still need to lift the back up, but it is looking good so far.View attachment 1616731
The engine wouldn't fit on the stock IFS, so I went with trail gear's IFS eliminator kit.View attachment 1616733

Do you have a build thread for yours?

Reactions: Teo

Yours should go a lot easier than mine. You have a lot more driveshaft length to work with for positioning.
Finding an intercooler that will fit between the headlight buckets is turning out to be a lot more difficult than I thought.

I think I crossed a major stumbling block today.

I literally looked at hundreds of intercoolers trying to find one that would fit between the headlight buckets and meet Cummins requirement of 150 sq in of surface area. Some that seemed to fit put the outlet directly in front of my FJ60 steering box, so I kept looking. I finally found this Autobahn88 18x9 inch core intercooler and received it today.

The silicone 90s will be in tomorrow so I can fine tune the placement on the radiator and check how much, if any, I need to move the engine. I've already moved it back about 4.5 inches from where the 327 was. Once that's finalized, I can make motor and transmission mounts. I want to eliminate that propeller mount on the xfer case.

So far, it looks like I have enough room to run the exhaust down the inside passenger side frame rail, assuming I can rig the transmission mount so it doesn't interfere.

Autobahn88 18x9 Intercooler.jpg

Yours should go a lot easier than mine. You have a lot more driveshaft length to work with for positioning.
Finding an intercooler that will fit between the headlight buckets is turning out to be a lot more difficult than I thought.

Maybe take a look at LED headlights. I have the JW Speaker lights, and the buckets are super shallow. This allowed me to have a MUCH wider radiator.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom