Mountain Bikes - show/tell me how you lug yours around! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've seen you post this elsewhere and maybe I've missed it, but what is the actual rack you're using? Is that just a single rail of a Thule T2? Or parts of one and a custom crossbar? Very cool!

i'm using the Thule T1 mounted to a modified spare tire carrier. T1 tray mounts to a piece of 2in x 2in square stock. I think two bikes might be too much for the hinges of the FJ Cruiser

Last edited:
The barn doors really suck when you have a hitch rack and want to get into the cargo area. So, I am experimenting with a 3D printed fork mount that I found online for $12. Works great and I now can access things in the rear. I'm seriously thinking of removing the second row.
20210918_120837.jpg
IMG-20210918-WA0006.jpeg

The barn doors really suck when you have a hitch rack and want to get into the cargo area. So, I am experimenting with a 3D printed fork mount that I found online for $12. Works great and I now can access things in the rear. I'm seriously thinking of removing the second row. View attachment 2790736View attachment 2790737
I used a similar set up in my 60. Worked awesome

Similar.

PSA: you can do a double bike mount in the back of a 60. Offset bikes to allow for nesting. This with the second row seats folded up.

I did this while fully loaded for a week on the Arizona strip. Can't find pictures though :doh:

Last edited:
finally got my 1UPs. they are pure beef and so easy to use! i need to haul five bikes so i bought the roof rack ones. for two i installed the fat bike adapters. three will go on the trailer like this and i’ll build a couple mounts to go on the extendable tongue. i can still put the lid up too! i also got the two place trailer hitch mount the i can use when it’s just my wife and i. the roof mount racks will attach to it but you can’t use the standard hitch trays for a roof rack.
3B6983BA-1C2F-4E23-B5C9-B97FBA0D127F.jpeg
9F8CDADF-5643-43CC-AFB1-158390882E5F.jpeg
70776C79-215A-4ACF-8D5F-769FB7297C4D.jpeg
EE545CE3-0A19-42C2-94E7-3C188150A7FF.jpeg
0368AEBD-597A-49FC-A5EC-B6DFF57866D0.jpeg

Glad you don't have a big lift on the trailer. Those bikes aren't exactly light!

yeah but i guess it’s all relative. the fat bikes don’t weigh much more than my old mountain bike to be honest.

i love that those struts hold it open though. makes getting stuff out so much easier. i’m really pumped about the racks though!

I've been through quite a few setups, including bike on roof, bike stuffed inside, bike on tray style rack, bike on Recon rack, and finally my current setup which is a two bike hanger off my PS swingout.

My main use case is to throw the bike on the back, drive 15 minutes up the mountain, and ride. It takes about 20 seconds to put the bike on and similar to take it off. I could cut that time in half if I improve the strap on my lower tire attachment point. I hate wasting time when it's time to ride :)

I like this over the previous setups I've had because:
  • Bike outside car
  • Nothing sticks above the roof line, so when I take the bike off I can pull right in the garage (couldn't do this with roof rack)
  • It's on a swing out so easy access to the rear hatch still (hitch mounted tray rack kept me from ever getting in the back)
  • With the bike removed, the rack doesn't affect my departure angle at all (hated this with the tray style rack)
  • Can carry two bikes without sticking out too far past my spare tire - nice for the Starbucks parking lot
Lots of cool setups in this thread - I love seeing what different setups work for different needs.

1639240552913.png

1639240608348.png

I've been through quite a few setups, including bike on roof, bike stuffed inside, bike on tray style rack, bike on Recon rack, and finally my current setup which is a two bike hanger off my PS swingout.

My main use case is to throw the bike on the back, drive 15 minutes up the mountain, and ride. It takes about 20 seconds to put the bike on and similar to take it off. I could cut that time in half if I improve the strap on my lower tire attachment point. I hate wasting time when it's time to ride :)

• Bike outside car
  • Nothing sticks above the roof line, so when I take the bike off I can pull right in the garage (couldn't do this with roof rack)
  • It's on a swing out so easy access to the rear hatch still (hitch mounted tray rack kept me from ever getting in the back)
  • With the bike removed, the rack doesn't affect my departure angle at all (hated this with the tray style rack)
  • Can carry two bikes without sticking out too far past my spare tire - nice for the Starbucks parking lot
Lots of cool setups in this thread - I love seeing what different setups work for different needs.

View attachment 2861835

View attachment 2861839
More details on the 2-bike+swingout mount, please? Custom? Combo of custom and commercial rack? Looks good!

• Bike outside car

View attachment 2861835

View attachment 2861839
Nice process!

More details on the 2-bike+swingout mount, please? Custom? Combo of custom and commercial rack? Looks good!

^^this please!

So, it's mostly custom, but the baskets that hold the wheels I stole from my 5 bike Recon rack.

Here's a picture of the rack. It's pretty much just a 2" square "T". The baskets bolt in on the top. The rear wheel slots into that little aluminum "U" near the bottom, and right now I just wrap a little strap around the tire/rack (need to put a permanently mounted rubber strap on here). I used the same basket to rear wheel slot geometry as the Recon rack. (Note, only one of the rear wheel slots is currently installed - the second one will be mirrored on the right side of the vertical tube once I get around to it). The flange at the base with 4 bolts is so I can bolt different attachments onto the swing out. Please excuse the lack of paint.

I haven't seen anywhere that sells just the wheel baskets - that's the only hard part of this whole thing. I want to put my Recon rack back together so I can sell it, so I'll probably end up building my own wheel baskets at some point.

1639418044514.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom