More Disc Brake Conversion ???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We're still learn'in the LC... so bear with the noooobs. Been reading FAQ's, searchin' the disc conversion etc... good stuff.

We're in the process of doing the mini-truck disc brake conversion on a 12/69 FJ40 with '85 truck parts.

To help cipher the info a little better I had two questions:

1) What year did the fire wall stiffener change in the FJ40? I'm referring to the big vertical one between the brake and clutch masters.

2) When were power brakes first available on the 4d?

Also, when someone says "mini" that opens up a wide range of different parts.... be'in a "mini" owner and all. ;)

Thanks!

Humm... 61 views and no replies.

Either I'm an idiot (my family thinks that from time to time) or the questions are too hard.

I thought this forum had all the Cruiserhead geniuses? :p

(I'm still searchin' and readn' too)

Firewall change, booster introduced 7/'70..........

Thanks for the help gents. I'll keep diggin'.

Firewall change, booster introduced 7/'70..........

Thanks! That explains alot.

Yes and no! Already read all those, tons of great info on the axle portion of the swap. Little or no info concerning the booster/master side of a conversion, especially the earlier LC with the vertical firewall rib.

I'm sure the info is here in MUD, I've just got to get the right search combo and stop getting off on rabbit trails... :D I think Guppy has something somewhere about it??

It appears the first gen Toyota truck booster may be an option. The OD is (8") and may juuuust miss the clutch master. It also comes with a funky spacer that might get it away from the rib too... My '85 truck booster measures about 9" and WILL not work and I'll have to make a spacer.

Off to the junk yard!!!

If I do a good write up with pics can it go in FAQ's??? ;)

If I do a good write up with pics can it go in FAQ's???

Yes.

The early mini truck booster/master is just shallower than the later versions. I'm guessing either will work just fine for you.

Dan

Thanks for the help gents. I'll keep diggin'.

Thanks! That explains alot.

Yes and no! Already read all those, tons of great info on the axle portion of the swap. Little or no info concerning the booster/master side of a conversion, especially the earlier LC with the vertical firewall rib.

I'm sure the info is here in MUD, I've just got to get the right search combo and stop getting off on rabbit trails... :D I think Guppy has something somewhere about it??

It appears the first gen Toyota truck booster may be an option. The OD is (8") and may juuuust miss the clutch master. It also comes with a funky spacer that might get it away from the rib too... My '85 truck booster measures about 9" and WILL not work and I'll have to make a spacer.

Off to the junk yard!!!

If I do a good write up with pics can it go in FAQ's??? ;)

Guppy's write-up is the bomb, but he doesn't discuss fitting a MC to an early firewall. I've been reseaching this exact issue myself, and this is what I've learned: there are a couple of ways to do this, but the easiest is to find a booster from want is from a '79-'83 mini (Toyota 4WD) truck. It is narrow enough to clear the clutch MC, but the spacer on the back of the booster isn't tall enough to clear the rib, and it is has 4-mounting bolts, as opposed to 3 on the early MC, so you will need an spacer/adapter that will tie it all together and clear the rib. You can buy one from JT Outfitters or build your own.

Also, don't forget that you are going to have to convert from your existing single-circuit brake lines to separate front and rear circuits, using 10mm fittings instead of the early 9mm fittings.

Here's a link to the adapter: Toyota Early FJ40 45 Land Cruiser Brake Booster Adapter - JTOutfitters

Also, check out this discussion: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...brake-booster-adapter-length.html#post4290688

Last edited:
Anyone besides JT that makes the adaptor/spacer anymore? I dont like to deal with JT, but if I have to... I got my last one from Wardens...

Shawn

Saw that, but looking to stay with Toyota booster and master...

Shawn

Anyone besides JT that makes the adaptor/spacer anymore? I dont like to deal with JT, but if I have to... I got my last one from Wardens...

Shawn

If you have the welding skills, or access to someone who does, it shouldn't be too hard to fab your own. Even if you have to pay someone it should cost less than the $60 JTO is asking.

Could also swap the firewall (or the necessary portions) from a later model. Have read some articles on this before (TLCA newsletter I'm pretty sure Not sure what issue, but Mark W. wrote the tech column) and I think there are some threads on it here on MUD. I'm going to attempt to do this myself and was hoping this could be my first buildup thread (don't wait for me though, it could be a while). I'm also swapping the column and gas pedal portion of the firewall (basically the entire drivers side) to allow for my steering column swap/modification (my second planned buildup thread) and use of the gas pedal/throttle linkage for a 2f. A lot of work, but I'm hoping to have and early FJ 40 look, with later model Toyota mechanicals (for "improved" performance and safety) in the end.

Grafting in a later model firewall is not an option and I really don't want to hack the stringer/fw either.

Thanks for the links. Those adapters look cool but I may just try to fab me own. :p

Swing'n by the JY today or tomorrow... :bounce:

Sheesh, this conversion is enough to make a fella wanna shave his head with a cheese grater!!

Here's what we're workin' on. It's my son's 40 (him driving). He traded my brother out of it for a fourwheeler. He got the 40 and a dirt bike. Sold the bike. :D
DSC02843.jpg

Original config
DSC03105.jpg

'80 Toyota truck 4x4 booster/master. Booster measures about 8.2" or so...
DSC03107.jpg

Workin' on the axle
DSC03110.jpg

It's gonna be close. It will hit the carb diaphragm for sure and it's going to be durn close to the clutch master. Spoke to the JT Outfitters guy about the bracket and it sounds like the push rod will have to be custom made too. Have some more sipherin' to do... :hmm:
DSC03111.jpg

Shawn

Shawn,
You gotta link? I looked in the vendor listing and googled it... lots of game wardens! :D

Thanks!

Danny Warden had a legendary LC shop in placerville, CA - he closed the shop about 5 years ago and has largely dropped out of the land cruiser scene.

I think Mark Algazy Marks Off Road Home Page sells or at least sold an adapter to space the booster and master cylinder out away from the firewall and the rib that's in the way.

I think I remember that the land cruiser booster got into the carb of an F, but maybe the mini-truck booster is better here.

Dan

It appears the first gen Toyota truck booster may be an option. The OD is (8") and may juuuust miss the clutch master.

Clutch master is an easy solution. Use one from a 71+ and you can run a FJ60 booster. May not clear the carb, but it will clear the clutch master. Might require some plumbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom