JT Outfitters brake booster adapter length (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

69vortec

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anyone know the length of the JT Outfitters brake booster adapter that clears the rib on the early FJ40s?

if you are talking about the adapter that goes from 3 bolts to four bolts i dont know how long but it does clear
fj40 51.jpg

The pic above is not a early model FJ. I have a 69 and I dont think it will clear. I am planning a f60 booster with an extension adapter for mine conversion to front disk.

is not early model gee i thought it was it is a 1970 model and it does go to the edge of the rib and if you look it does clear the rib

The JT Outfitters adapter is 3.25in long. I ended up making my own at 4in for use with a 1998 Tacoma booster and master cylinder.

The pic above is not a early model FJ. I have a 69 and I dont think it will clear. I am planning a f60 booster with an extension adapter for mine conversion to front disk.

It is.

The JT Outfitters adapter is 3.25in long. I ended up making my own at 4in for use with a 1998 Tacoma booster and master cylinder.

I'm trying to figure out the best/easiest way to boost my '70 without cutting the stiffening rib. The JT Outfitters adapter looks like the right idead, but a little pricey at $60.

Can you post up some pictures of the adapter you made? I'd also like to see how the Taco booster and MC fit! The '79-'83 mini truck booster that JT Outfitters recommends is expensive and hard to find, but a late-model Tacoma booster ought to be easy to find in the junk yard.

Brian

I'm trying to figure out the best/easiest way to boost my '70 without cutting the stiffening rib. The JT Outfitters adapter looks like the right idead, but a little pricey at $60.

Can you post up some pictures of the adapter you made? I'd also like to see how the Taco booster and MC fit! The '79-'83 mini truck booster that JT Outfitters recommends is expensive and hard to find, but a late-model Tacoma booster ought to be easy to find in the junk yard.

Brian

I am looking at doing this as my next project as well. I would be interested in seeing pics too!

I have a nice Tacoma booster/MC combo in my sights. I was just wondering if it will work with the stock F engine, due to air cleaner clearance (That almost sounds like an old Airplane joke:D) I have weber carb with the air cleaner on top of the carb. What is the overall length of that set-up?

I just built an adapter for the '79 mini truck booster to install on my '65. Pics attached. The booster came with an aluminum spacer and steel plate. I used the steel plate as a mounting plate for the adapter, as it already had the right hole pattern, and just welded it to four plates and a face plate with the original 3 hole pattern + a big center hole. I placed the booster/MC up on the firewall and measured how much spacing i'd need, happened to be the same as some flat stock i had laying around which I used for the four side plates. Worth mentioning I have a SBC so length wasn't a real concern, but I also didn't want it any longer than needed to clear the rib. Sorry no pics of it all installed as I've found that the booster now heavily rubs the clutch master cylinder (which wasn't installed at the time of fabrication), so my works not done yet...:beer: I will use the aluminum spacer still. FWIW my adaptor is 2 1/4" in length, and the aluminum spacer is 1 1/4" in length, so call it 3 1/2" total.
adaptor1.jpg
adaptor2.jpg
booster1.jpg

I just built an adapter for the '79 mini truck booster to install on my '65. Pics attached. The booster came with an aluminum spacer and steel plate. I used the steel plate as a mounting plate for the adapter, as it already had the right hole pattern, and just welded it to four plates and a face plate with the original 3 hole pattern + a big center hole. I placed the booster/MC up on the firewall and measured how much spacing i'd need, happened to be the same as some flat stock i had laying around which I used for the four side plates. Worth mentioning I have a SBC so length wasn't a real concern, but I also didn't want it any longer than needed to clear the rib. Sorry no pics of it all installed as I've found that the booster now heavily rubs the clutch master cylinder (which wasn't installed at the time of fabrication), so my works not done yet...:beer: I will use the aluminum spacer still. FWIW my adaptor is 2 1/4" in length, and the aluminum spacer is 1 1/4" in length, so call it 3 1/2" total.

Hmmmm, I thought clutch cylinder clearance wasn't going to be an issue if I can find an early mini truck booster.

I probably wouldn't be had I made my adapter with the clutch M/C installed. Honestly I'm fairly certain it's a goof on my part. The interference is probably no more than 1/8".

good luck to ya!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom