Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

when you do your body swap just cut the front end of yours off and make it wall art.

Your engine will be happy in the near future :D

Your engine bay is all one color! Dirt! haha.

Looking good man.

Missing a couple of things:

What should I put on the empty garage wall?

Your missing a VORTEC!:lol:

I also agree with putting a FJ60 front end on the wall. I have a peterbuilt semi front end in my shop on the wall and we rigged up the lights to work too. it looks sweet.

Your missing a VORTEC!:lol:

I also agree with putting a FJ60 front end on the wall. I have a peterbuilt semi front end in my shop on the wall and we rigged up the lights to work too. it looks sweet.

That is a fantastic idea. I'll have to investigate that further:hmm:

Just took off the valve cover to put that in the car to be brought to the ceramic coater and holy s***, there is a TON of sludge and burnt oil under the valvetrain!! I'm surprised as the last time I changed this gasket, I found the valvetrain surprisingly clean. Guess I'll clean it as best I can and then run a bunch of seafoam through it again. Hopefully this motor will be solid for a couple thousand more miles as I'm not quite ready to swap it out yet!!

Rebuilt the carb, cleaned the air cleaner and got as much sludge off of the head as I could. Used the kit from Cruiseroutfitters as well as a new Toyota secondary diaphragm. Last time I rebuilt the carb, I didn't use the proper kit so it didn't come with the right size accelerator pump or a secondary diaphragm.

Lower 2/3's
IMG_20111025_203817.jpg

Air horn:
IMG_20111025_203811.jpg

Drilled out the mix screw plug. The top of the plug is 2, maybe 3mm thick. I drilled down into it until I had a hole big enough to fit a flathead screwdriver in. I then popped the plug out with the screw driver:
IMG_20111025_215205.jpg

IMG_20111025_215213.jpg

Finished carb:
IMG_20111025_223637.jpg

The headers and valve cover should be back by Friday and the other parts I need should be here Thursday. Hopefully she'll be ready to go to Fayetteville on Saturday!

I like seeing pictures of the carburetor pulled apart. I attempted a rebuild on mine but had a screw break off in the choke shaft while removing the butterfly. I was attempting to follow the Engine manual. I never got any further with it.

Do you rebuild per the manual? Or just go in and replace things?

It annoys me I have a good carburetor in pieces sitting in a box at home haha.

I like seeing pictures of the carburetor pulled apart. I attempted a rebuild on mine but had a screw break off in the choke shaft while removing the butterfly. I was attempting to follow the Engine manual. I never got any further with it.

Do you rebuild per the manual? Or just go in and replace things?

It annoys me I have a good carburetor in pieces sitting in a box at home haha.

I hear you there. The first time I rebuilt a carb was with Big Red, my first cruiser I had back in high school. At that point, I used the manual. Every single component and assembly was individually bagged and labeled. After adjusting the float, she was good to go. The second time I rebuilt a carb was this one 3 years ago. I went to take out the jets and broke one of them while doing so, so I had to buy anther carb to use the venturi section. That time I used mostly pictures that I took during disassembly and referenced the manual once or twice.

Last night, I did it all by memory. There are three main sections, from the top down. The air horn, the venturi and then the butterflies. The main operating components of the carb can be accessed by removing the air horn, including the power piston, the accelerator pump, the jets, the venturi, the float, the metering valve and a couple of other things. I took that off and replaced everything that I had parts in the kit for. There are 7 or 8 phillips head screws that hold the air horn down and once you remove them, you can get right at everything, as shown by the pictures. It's not that difficult, just a bit tricky. Tuning is the most difficult part.

I am in the middle of waiting for my trollhole carb..... I may take my old carb and dive into it as i have always been hesitant on rebuilding them. I have rebuilt just about everything else ...so I dont see why I shouldnt tackle this project too.

:hmm:Hell, if you can do it so can I.....:lol:

I am in the middle of waiting for my trollhole carb..... I may take my old carb and dive into it as i have always been hesitant on rebuilding them. I have rebuilt just about everything else ...so I dont see why I shouldnt tackle this project too.

:hmm:Hell, if you can do it so can I.....:lol:

Exactly my thinking. I'm obviously not as good as JimC, but I am getting better at this process. Now to figure out how to adjust the valves:hmm:

"If you can do it, so can I..." :flipoff2:

More parts. Did you guys know that these were supposed to be silver on the bottom?
IMG_20111027_203016.jpg

More parts. Did you guys know that these were supposed to be silver on the bottom?

Whattttt. No way haha. I must have had an exhaust leak for a while.

Wow, awesome weekend thus far. Let's start from the beginning.

Picked up the parts from the ceramic coater Friday afternoon. I am STOKED about how great these pieces came out. I had them coated at Carolina Ceramics (getcoated.com). The owner / operator, Joel, is an excellent guy. He's extremely knowledgeable about this process and the quality of the parts shows it. It cost $260 to have both of these parts done, which includes sand blasting, baking to remove any leftover carbon as well as the ceramic coating. Turnaround time was 5 business days, exactly what he told me when I got the quote. I highly recommend that potential customers give Joel a call before going to Jet Hot.
Remember what these looked like before?
IMG_20111028_180402.jpg

IMG_20111028_180411.jpg

The pitting is a result of the rust that was present before. This ceramic coating should prevent that from happening again.
IMG_20111028_180420.jpg

How do you like my valve cover?
IMG_20111028_180140.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous. No overspray ( is that the correct term? ) in any of the holes. I am very impressed.
IMG_20111028_180207.jpg

IMG_20111028_180350.jpg

IMG_20111028_180326.jpg

Slapped it on. It sticks out like a sore thumb, I love it:grinpimp:
IMG_20111028_182332.jpg

Looks good with the manifolds on
IMG_20111028_201038.jpg

I have to get rid of that air cleaner, it's killing me. Any good recommendations on a replacement?
IMG_20111028_223808.jpg

Got all of that done on Friday night so I could go to the ONSC HAMOM. We had a good amount to do. Rebuild Adam's 40 front axle, redo the manifolds, swap axles on Mike's 62, mount my new tires and tune my carb.

IMG_20111029_181026.jpg

I think Mike should have kept this stance:
IMG_20111029_132725.jpg

My new body, soon to grace my truck
IMG_20111029_083857.jpg

Soooooo clean
IMG_20111029_083930.jpg

IMG_20111029_083943.jpg

IMG_20111029_083950.jpg

Seats pending DOT approval
IMG_20111029_200824.jpg

My 87 next to Adam's 77. so much changed in just 10 short years.
IMG_20111029_195245.jpg

We were all pumped that Adam and Darin got the truck running. First start in a long time for this truck.
IMG_20111029_195145.jpg

Now on to the pitbulls. We mounted them up by hand, with two tire spoons. Holy crap was that a lot of work. These pitbulls are incredibly stiff, so hopefully that means that they won't lose beads out on the trail. No pictures of the tire mounting procedure, but here's the end result. The last two tires required two ratchet straps each to get the beads to seat properly, but the first two didn't need any.
IMG_20111029_180734.jpg

Putting the first one on
IMG_20111029_182004.jpg

Damn it looks big ( that's what she said )
IMG_20111029_182229.jpg

Darin helping me measure
IMG_20111029_200535.jpg

Right at 35.25" with 32 PSI in the tires. I aired down to 26 to get an even tread pattern.
IMG_20111029_200524.jpg

Much better with the bigger meats
IMG_20111029_200352.jpg

IMG_20111029_200340.jpg

Driving impressions:
1. They aren't any louder than my MTRs were.
2. Even without any sort of balancing media, they rode relatively smooth at 60mph for the ride home
3. The wider tire definitely wanders a bit more
4. They are going to rub like a fat kid's thighs

In other news, we went to go tune moonshine up and found out that I have an intake leak at the rear most intake runner:bang: Time to order another remflex and slap it on.

Those pits look great! Love the stance.

Those pits look great! Love the stance.
That looks great. I'm using your thread as a inspiration for when I build mine up!

I'm flattered guys, thank you:cheers:

Some more pictures. I've got to buy u-joints for both driveshafts.
IMG_20111030_182108.jpg

They don't stick out much more than the MTRs did.
IMG_20111030_182129.jpg

Much better than the MTRs
IMG_20111030_182146.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom