Micro-Tube Parallel Flow Condenser (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Dissent that is the correct number. My world pac pics are off my shop management software so I don't have a link to pull. They do have one on the shelf in Tempe.
awesome. I did order one through Rock Auto last night. What shop carries this in Tempe?

I wonder if these condensers would work for a 91/92?
Oh yeah. In fact, you'd really need to go to that parallel flow style to convert from R12 for the required efficiency. Be sure to check the dimensions.

I can help if you want to go that route
Thanks. Let me see if the Rock Auto order comes through correctly since I already started that ball rolling yesterday.

Any long term problems with this condenser being parallel flow as explained by @smritte that it would be more efficient thus less air flow?

Most of the styles have a higher tube count. Small tubes closer together. I only mentioned it because some people seem to have an issue running hot.
If you look at the old R-12 condensers, larger tubes spaced a good distance apart. Not very efficient. Some of the manufactures used these in the early r134 days. We got higher pressure's and when they went to the smaller tubes, they were able to use a smaller condenser. Most of the air flow issues I saw with dirty modern condensers caused the pressures to go way up but, still flowed enough air for the radiator.

If I wasn't in the middle of an eng rebuild, I would be all over this with the info the others have gathered. I had found a nice rear evap with case and fan last year. Small enough to fit in the rear compartment. I stupidly didn't bookmark it and have been looking for it when I remember. The company makes them for custom commercial vehicles (ambulance, fire, bus). The better condenser will play into that nicely.

EDIT: found it. Evaporator 1100 - 50 001 223
I had found an evap only that is slightly thinner than this one. will keep looking.

Scott

Last edited:

Most of the styles have a higher tube count. Small tubes closer together. I only mentioned it because some people seem to have an issue running hot.
If you look at the old R-12 condensers, larger tubes spaced a good distance apart. Not very efficient. Some of the manufactures used these in the early r134 days. We got higher pressure's and when they went to the smaller tubes, they were able to use a smaller condenser. Most of the air flow issues I saw with dirty modern condensers caused the pressures to go way up but, still flowed enough air for the radiator.

If I wasn't in the middle of an eng rebuild, I would be all over this with the info the others have gathered. I had found a nice rear evap with case and fan last year. Small enough to fit in the rear compartment. I stupidly didn't bookmark it and have been looking for it when I remember. The company makes them for custom commercial vehicles (ambulance, fire, bus). The better condenser will play into that nicely.

I had found an evap only that is slightly thinner than this one. will keep looking.

Scott
That's the same unit I am eyeballing...thar I forgot to bookmark ;) It has high output and should cram into the rear corner just fine.

That's the same unit I am eyeballing...thar I forgot to bookmark ;) It has high output and should cram into the rear corner just fine.
I just remembered why I was looking at other units. I don't want the heat function.

Scott

I just don't think it is a much of a issue. Most of us are running moded fans. It is a denser for sure. It is also a bit smaller so the outer parts of the radiator is exposed more to clean air. I was at 205 on the trail Sunday in 112* weather going up a steep climb with the ac blasting. As @smritte said I think the biggest benefit is the fact that even cleaning our old condensers regularly they still get dirty enough to limit flow over 20 years. I cleaned mine every few months but until I finally changed the condenser did everything settle down on my ac. I will say I would have a well tuned fan clutch before I would swap to this set up. Also make sure the compressor is in good shape because if it fails you have to replace the condenser again. These are NOT flushable. Also the charge will be lower because this has less capacity as far as my temp split go. I have no plans to do a rear AC setup. I am Happy to help those of you that want to make this happen though.

That's great feedback, I already have the uber modded fan clutch and I'm very confident all my issues will be resolved with the new PF condenser. I've been seeking one out for over 4 years!

I still think I'll need to address the rear evaporator but I hope not, depends on how much it sucks to ride in the back on trail runs.

Too much time to think and plan while parts are en route. :p

Are you running a pusher fan on top of the PF unit?

That's great feedback, I already have the uber modded fan clutch and I'm very confident all my issues will be resolved with the new PF condenser. I've been seeking one out for over 4 years!

I still think I'll need to address the rear evaporator but I hope not, depends on how much it sucks to ride in the back on trail runs.

Too much time to think and plan while parts are en route. :p

Are you running a pusher fan on top of the PF unit?

My rear passenger were good on my little trip. I am running the 80 series fan on mine. I think I got more to gain out of my set up. I think my fan clutch could come on a little sooner and sealing up the condenser to radiator would help too.
Maybe when you get Your condenser we can do some testing on both our set ups at my shop.

My rear passenger were good on my little trip. I am running the 80 series fan on mine. I think I got more to gain out of my set up. I think my fan clutch could come on a little sooner and sealing up the condenser to radiator would help too.
Maybe when you get Your condenser we can do some testing on both our set ups at my shop.
Sounds good. I think more folks are going to go with this mod once some data is published. I did the full @landtank temp tuning along with 23K oil in the clutch. It was so-so with just the oil, its awesome with the temp tuning! It roars like a beast in this heat. Engine is always 190-193 around town and no more than 205 on the trail. The condenser doesn't keep up around town but does respond to the ram air on the freeway. Still too warm though. I'm really looking forward to sealing up the new condenser too, should help a lot!

@Dissent waiting to see the final results. My AC compressor is on its way out at 371k and I might as well do everything at once.
I'm was really debating replacing the compressor, it has 235K miles on it but it appears to be working well. We will see.

@flintknapper, do you know how many BTU's the stock condenser and evaporator are rated at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom