Micro-Tube Parallel Flow Condenser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh, the guy from Vintage Air said it's not too much to do now and update to the tees and 2nd evaporator later. If you aren't cash strapped, go Monster. We need someone to do that. :p
I can try this out but im gonna try to see if any local suppliers have something similar. I just dont want to get stuck with it if it doesnt work. Do happen to know other condensers that might work?

I can try this out but im gonna try to see if any local suppliers have something similar. I just dont want to get stuck with it if it doesnt work. Do happen to know other condensers that might work?
That's pretty much the only one I've found. It's not uber special, just call around for the largest and thickest that will fit in the hole. Any local supplier should carry some option.

I was looking at dimensions and they are pretty darn close. It has a built in drier already right? Do i still need another drier for the front? Looks like summit racing has it in stock. Im so tempted to pull the trigger now but i feel like i know so little and still need to do more research.

I was looking at dimensions and they are pretty darn close. It has a built in drier already right? Do i still need another drier for the front? Looks like summit racing has it in stock. Im so tempted to pull the trigger now but i feel like i know so little and still need to do more research.
no built in drier, need a standard $40 generic drier. The only tricky part is running custom lines but once its mounted up, a local shop could fan up the lines easily. Just keep the caps on everything into the lines are in. From their, it's a vacuum and charge. The charge may be tricky due to the change capacity of the system. I have a 30lb bottle in case I don't get it right the first time...or second... ;)

I opened up my new Nissen's PF condenser last night, still had the Denso OEM unit to compare it to so I took some pics. The Nissen PF is the silver unit on top, the Denso OEM is the black unit on the bottom.

The Nissen's unit has all the mounting tabs and brackets necessary present on the current Denso unit with the exception of a welded nut on the small black u-shaped tang on the upper left. There's no nut on the Nissen unit although all other locations have the welded nuts in place.

The Nissen is slightly narrower and a tad thinner than the Denso. It's very clear that the units are completely different styles seeing them side-by-side.

The Denso replacement actually has more of the ends covered with c-channel than the OEM unit in my truck. My truck unit I can actually see the serpentine 'macaroni' turns through the top corners.

I plan on installing this in the next week or so. I'll post up pics of fit when I get it installed.

upload_2018-8-10_9-39-7.png

upload_2018-8-10_9-39-50.png

Man, you beat me by a few hours... my Nissen unit is supposed to be here this afternoon. However, I'm headed out in a bit to have the system evacuated and will be swapping the condenser (and my garbage CSF radiator for a TYC) this evening, so I'll most likely have my Nissen up and going by tomorrow evening. I'm also replacing the blower fan motor, TXV, and drier while I have it discharged, and will be giving the evaporator a thorough cleaning.

One thing I noticed about the Denso unit is that while it is a serpentine style, there are three paths that the refrigerant takes through the core. Due to the end caps, I've no idea how it arranges them, though.

Man, you beat me by a few hours... my Nissen unit is supposed to be here this afternoon. However, I'm headed out in a bit to have the system evacuated and will be swapping the condenser (and my garbage CSF radiator for a TYC) this evening, so I'll most likely have my Nissen up and going by tomorrow evening. I'm also replacing the blower fan motor, TXV, and drier while I have it discharged, and will be giving the evaporator a thorough cleaning.

One thing I noticed about the Denso unit is that while it is a serpentine style, there are three paths that the refrigerant takes through the core. Due to the end caps, I've no idea how it arranges them, though.
Two words to find the answer to that....Saws All! :p

I just picked up some Simple Green to clean my evaporator. I plan on starting to tear it apart tonight or tomorrow and plan to do the suck down all night Saturday and then recharge on Sunday. Sounds like we are neck and neck for cold AC! Remember to use Mineral Oil on the o-rings, the PAG oil makes them sticky.

BTW, my blower JUST started squeaking...need to order one now. Which one did you go with?

Don't forget to add the foam strips @-Spike- pointed out. There's quite a gap around the condenser.

Remember to use Mineral Oil on the o-rings, the PAG oil makes them sticky.

If you can find a bottle of 'Nylog' locally...use it instead of mineral oil to lubricate O-Rings and seal any mating surfaces. I use it on schrader valves when installing them as well. Nylog is your friend. One bottle will last you many years.

nylog.jpg

I got the VDO motor from Autozone, part number PM2503. Yep on the mineral oil and hell yep on the foam, but I'm only going to foam between the radiator and support. I'll see how the AC works and if I feel it needs any airflow management, I'll bend up some sheet aluminum ducting to seal up the sides and top between the condenser and radiator.

*edit- oh crap, I just realized that motor shows as being for a truck without AC. However, it looks identical other than color to what came out of there. We'll see in an hour or two. Stand by on that motor until I see if it fits. Sorry about that. :(

If you can find a bottle of 'Nylog' locally...use it instead of mineral oil to lubricate O-Rings and seal any mating surfaces. I use it on schrader valves when installing them as well. Nylog is your friend. One bottle will last you many years.

View attachment 1764382
I have a new bottle of Nylog. I thought that was just for the threads...you can use it on the o-ring too? Cool!

I decided against using Nitrogen. Between $127 for the bottle and $70 for the regulator...it was getting pricey on top of the other $500 I've spent on the gauges, Freon, vacuum pump, condenser, etc.

Between my OCD, Nylog, my Freon detector and a 24 hour vacuum, I'm confident it won't leak! ;)

I have a new bottle of Nylog. I thought that was just for the threads...you can use it on the o-ring too? Cool!

O-Rings, threads, fittings, mating surfaces, shrader valves. Anything that can leak.

Nylog Blue | Gasket & Thread Sealant for HVAC/R Systems

I have a hard time convincing folks to buy and use it. Most won't go to the trouble. Those that do...won't be without it next time they do A/C work.

I have no affiliation with the company and don't care if anyone does or does not use it....just passing on a good tip that can save you a lot of headaches.

Well fellas... it's like peeling an onion- nothing but tears the deeper you go.

Upon extraction of the evaporator and removal of the debris, there is a bunch of corrosion on the rows and detritus still buried deep within the fins. So, a new Denso unit has been ordered and will be here by Friday.

I keep telling myself- I'm doing this for fun! Lol...

Upon extraction of the evaporator and removal of the debris, there is a bunch of corrosion on the rows and detritus still buried deep within the fins. So, a new Denso unit has been ordered and will be here by Friday.

Yuck. I should just order one in case...I can always return it.

The nice cold air will be worth it. The pain of doing this will be long forgotten years from now while you are still enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Success with the radiator, got the Nissen in, but it was a tight fit. The pins with the rubber grommets that go into the holes in the cross member are a bit close than the holes, requiring some silicone spray to get in. Also, the right side fitting was a real bear to get to line up and required a bit of bending on the condenser side to line up.

I put the 10" fan on the condenser because I figured while I was there, it wouldn't hurt. I guess we'll see what happens in a week. The blower motor turned out to be wrong, so I'll reorder today and post the correct part number when it's in.

And Flint- you're absolutely right; I plan on keeping this truck a long time, so this work will be worth the effort for years to come.

I went ahead and ordered a new evap. Wont be here until Wed. I'll start pulling my truck apart Tuesday evening, reassemble next week then evacuate and charge on the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom