Metric Fastener Source(s) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When it's all over you'll have a bolt bin like mine and can't find the right size you need. :)

IMG_4191.JPG

That's probably because you were smart enough to not over torque the nuts.
So what you’re saying is Ron has a history of stretchy nut syndrome…

Galling on stainless steel fasteners starts to occur when the oxidized film from the stainless steel is broken or wiped away by pressure from heavy torque, you would expect to see this more with heavy fasteners than what we are talking about here (12mm and under). The two main factors needed for galling is metallic-bonding (ascendance of oxide layer or other form of a barrier) and plasticity (Stainless is more ductile so it has more plasticity than steel). Because Stainless is more ductile than carbon steel it is more prone galling and as long as we understand and stay within the boundaries it’s unlikely we would have stretchy nut syndrome.

Don’t use an impact gun to tighten, the speed and impact is a killer on stainless threads. Don’t use the same grade of stainless if you have to use male and female stainless threads, better yet make one side steel. Lubrication (Anti-Seize is good) but any lube will work, I use graphite powder mixed with acetone and brush that on the threads when I assemble a rifle with stainless barrels and never had one stick. Like BOB said stainless threadserts rarely have issues nor does stainless hardware in the smaller sizes ( ½”) 12mm and under because we don’t typically tighten them to yield and start the galling process.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom