Making a Magnuson supercharger for my 95TLC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After six years of searching for a supercharger for my 1995 TLC, I have decided that I am going to build one myself. My garage is comprised of pretty much every tool needed to build a WW2 machine gun from scratch; (not that anyone would ever do such a thing) evil smile. My rig is pretty interesting. My M12 (12000 lb) Warn winch in my ARB front bumper has proven to be a necessary attachment (people try to off-road in their Jeep's). I was told the M12 will not fit in my bumper. Hmmm. That is so strange. Not only does it fit; it fits like a glove. Well maybe OJs glove. I did need to cut with a hacksaw 2cm at the base of the bumper. So, back to the supercharger. If anyone has any input please advise. I will post pictures of the process.

F30ECEE6-FD7E-4433-BC2B-98E3007BA948.jpeg

57C82179-A659-4130-8079-07732C353C23.jpeg

FA5E50FC-690B-41BB-8577-443B62AC342A.jpeg

You could probably bolt a centrifugal on the front of the motor like a Paxton, Vortec, etc. and make it work :meh: but the time and money you would have starting from scratch, you might be better served with a pre-made turbo kit.

You could probably bolt a centrifugal on the front of the motor like a Paxton, Vortec, etc. and make it work :meh: but the time and money you would have starting from scratch, you might be better served with a pre-made turbo kit.
I have the money. I would love to buy one. I don’t want a turbo because of its limitations. Moreover, I am adding a snorkel for the Beast. Most parts I have already. They are out there. I bought a few online from Brazil (parts). If anyone has the original instructions, it would be much appreciated. When I finish my build (making three), I will have one extra as I have two 80-series TLCs. Almost 98 percent OEM. I have triple lockers as well.

There is a Magnuson new in the box, never opened, sitting in the corner of my barn...but it doesn’t belong to me.

Wait...no turbo because of its “limitations”?! 😳

as compared to a supercharger?! 🤣
I live in the Kommunist Kalifornia. We have KARB certification which is difficult to get around. A vehicle has to get smogged every 2 years. Plus our Kommunist Governor just passed a law eliminating gasoline and diesel sales starting 2035. If I lived in Arizona, I would be all good with Turbo. However, is there a turbo that is OEM bolt-on which allows me the use of the snorkel and winch?

Last edited:
There is a Magnuson new in the box, never opened, sitting in the corner of my barn...but it doesn’t belong to me.
Well, if it is for sale, I would love to buy it. I am however still going to be making three of them. Please let me know how much the owner wants for it.

I live in the Kommunist Kalifornia. We have KARB certification which is difficult to get around. A vehicle has to get smogged every 2 years. Plus our Kommunist Governor just passed a law eliminating gasoline and diesel sales starting 2035. If I lived in Arizona, I would be all good with Turbo. However, is there a turbo that is OEM bolt-on which allows me the use of the snorkel and winch?
Yea man, that dude makes bolt on turbo kits 😆

Superchargers have literally 1000% more limitations than turbo.
NOT from me. From this forum > 14 years ago.
EATON M90 vs 1FZFE ENGINE

Ok boys and gals:
To really put the turbo vs sc debate to numbers, let's take a gander at what TRD did on the M90 kit. Using a 3.2" pulley, the SC drive ratio is 2.40625. That puts max SC speed of 12,031rpm at 5000 engine rpm. For engine cfm flow I used a typical roller coaster type ramp on the spreadsheet with 100% Volumetric efficiency at peak torque, and 85% VE at peak HP, with 80% min.

The results indicate that this M90 is matched almost exactly with the engine demands at 7psi (1.5Pressure Ratio). Picking a couple of points, here's what I get.

1000 eng rpm = 2406 SC rpm = 096cfm engine demand = 100cfm SC

2500 eng rpm = 6016 SC rpm = 230cfm engine demand = 230cfm SC

4000 eng rpm = 9625 SC rpm = 408cfm engine demand = 430cfm SC

5000 eng rpm = 12031 SC rpm = 480cfm engine demand = 530cfm SC

The maximum HP draw at 1.5PR BTW is 7hp at 1000 eng rpm, and 33hp at 5000 eng rpm. Volumetric efficiency offsets that in a big way, the starts at 70% at 1700rpm engine speed and increases to 90% at 5000rpm engine speed.

What do I make of all this? The M90 in stock trim is about as well matched to a compressor in terms of demand and efficiency as one could find. Put another way, you could spend several fortunes on turbos and never get close to this kind of match, btdt. Change the target boost however, the turbo starts to gain back a deficit.

That reaffirms my conclusion that the SC isn't the problem on the dyno, it's a IC/fuel/timing/exhaust (read: ancillary) problem.

HTH

Scott Justusson
QSHIPQ Performance Tuning
Chicago IL
94 FZJ80 Supercharged

Can a snorkel still be used?

I think you need to see this first:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom