Magnaflow Y-Pipe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As far as exhaust and grills go, if a magnet sticks to it, it probably meets the bear minimum standards to be called stainless. Non magnetic stainless usually has a high amount of nickle and/or chromium and is going to be too expensive to make an exhaust out of. (my opinion)

I have a brand new Walker stainless steel Y pipe and a magnet sticks to it. (there are rusts spots on it) I just went out side and used a magnet on my expensive(at least for me) stainless gas grill. Very interesting results. The hood and top of the grill have a slight magnetism, but the sides are highly magnetic. The handle on the hood is not magnetic at all. The sides that are highly magnetic are slightly rusting. The parts that are only slightly magnetic have no signs of corrosion after two years of being in the weather.

Just FYI, I used a very strong rare earth mangnet that I bought years ago.

Until very recently (yesterday), I though all stainless was non-magnetic ;)

A magnet sorta sticks to my $18,000 Ducati's stainless exhaust tubing. I find this method a very weak judgement of 'quality'.

May be a nearly new OEM set of cats available in the Phoenix area soon. They only have a few thousand miles on them. Any interest? Not mine. John

May be a nearly new OEM set of cats available in the Phoenix area soon. They only have a few thousand miles on them. Any interest? Not mine. John

John - PM'd you.

The Magnaflow is not aluminized steel. There are various grades of stainless. Magnaflow uses 409SS, which is what Toyota used on the OEM exhaust system. A magnet will stick to it. It rusts, but much more slowly than aluminized steel. My original factory Muffler blew out and got replaced with a cheapy a few years ago, but the rest of the exhaust of my 1996 LX was still in decent shape. Just the original cats are now shot, and the y-pipe crevice has been re-welded. 18 years on the those pipes is not too shabby. Aluminized steel would be lucky to last 3 years in my Michigan winters with the road salt. The Bosal replacement exhaust is aluminized steel. Search on how long those last. Most people in the snow belt are only getting a couple years out of the Bosal before the muffler rusts out. But they're cheap and just bolt up (with some persuasion). Mufflers collect a lot of exhaust moisture, so they tend to fail first.

Not all grades of stainless are non-ferrous. 304SS does not rust, and is non-magnetic. 304SS is popular for headers, turbo manifolds, and high end exhausts. The Borla exhaust for the late 80 series is 304SS (with somewhat crappy hangers), and so was most of the infamous EMS exhaust. 304SS is the ideal exhaust material for looks and longevity, but it costs much more and is more difficult to work with.

Pickup a magnet at Lowes or Home Depot and go to the refrigerator section. Some stainless steel fridges can have magnets hanging on them & some can't. Depends on which grade of stainless they used.

As far as exhaust and grills go, if a magnet sticks to it, it probably meets the bear minimum standards

You really should look up ss before you go spouting off about it. There are more grades of stainless that are magnetic, than not.

I wish I had seen this a few months ago! Thanks for the link though to the super cheap magnaflow, those have bigger pipes than Bosal, etc.

Brian, what about my post do you find incorrect? It's my understanding that modern day stainless exhaust is made from 409 stainless unless it a high-end exhaust like Borla which is 304. 409 is the less expensive of the two(the cheapest). This discussion is about exhausts, not the different alloy composition of all the various stainless steel products on the planet. I used the grill reference to show that the less magnetic parts showed little to no corrosion and while the strongly magnetic parts are rusting.
I will admit I thought, like many others, that all good stainless was nonmagnetic. I have sold stainless steel products for over 20 years and they are all nonmagmnetic . I have never compared it to stainless used in other industries though.

I stand by my opinion 100 %

As far as exhaust and grills go, if a magnet sticks to it, it probably meets the bear minimum standards to be called stainless.

Brian, what about my post do you find incorrect? It's my understanding that modern day stainless exhaust is made from 409 stainless unless it a high-end exhaust like Borla which is 304. 409 is the less expensive of the two(the cheapest).

409 is also the better choice of the two for an exhaust system.

as far as all good stainless being nonmagnetic, well that all depends what you need the stainless to do, and endure.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408682823.409361.jpg

I just replaced mine with the Magnaflow. I bought mine from amazon. Quality seems very good and design is better than oem IMHO. No shops would touch my old y-pipe for fear of breaking studs so I pb blasted for like 5 months and the old studs came out with no problems. I omitted 2nd cat and had a shop weld in a pipe for $50. I am so happy to have escaped CA.

I ordered the same so will see how they turn out. Thanks for work /discount : )

fyi, just got my 80 smogged and it passed with flying colors. I am using the magnaflow CARB legal cats with a custom exhaust made by a local shop. I usually reccomend people get something custom done locally, it usually ends up a better solution in the end. The smog guy was surprised at the results. one of the readings was 12 out of a possible 144 limit and the other # was almost 0 emmissions. Can't remember exactly what these air #'s were.

Marcus1983,

Is the cat clocked to a horizontal position on that Magnaflow Y-pipe? Can you take another side by side pic? Same orientation but looking into the cats? Sorry, looks like you already installed it. Can you post a pic of the cat installed?

View attachment 932679

I just replaced mine with the Magnaflow. I bought mine from amazon. Quality seems very good and design is better than oem IMHO. No shops would touch my old y-pipe for fear of breaking studs so I pb blasted for like 5 months and the old studs came out with no problems. I omitted 2nd cat and had a shop weld in a pipe for $50. I am so happy to have escaped CA.

Marcus1983,

Is the cat clocked to a horizontal position on that Magnaflow Y-pipe? Can you take another side by side pic? Same orientation but looking into the cats? Sorry, looks like you already installed it. Can you post a pic of the cat installed?

It is clocked to a horizontal position, you can tell from the picture above and it is confirmed in the 2nd post in thread linked below.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/magnaflow-header-down-pipe-with-cat.788491/#post-8972246

Marcus1983,

It is clocked to horizontal. It tucks up nice and out of the way. Should be able to post some installed pictures next week.

fyi, just got my 80 smogged and it passed with flying colors. I am using the magnaflow CARB legal cats with a custom exhaust made by a local shop. I usually reccomend people get something custom done locally, it usually ends up a better solution in the end. The smog guy was surprised at the results. one of the readings was 12 out of a possible 144 limit and the other # was almost 0 emmissions. Can't remember exactly what these air #'s were.

would love to see a thread with the details on this one. Worthy of driving down from Ventura and having that done to my 94. thanks in advance,

would love to see a thread with the details on this one. Worthy of driving down from Ventura and having that done to my 94. thanks in advance,

take a look at my build thread, just finished the hg/sc work with ceramic coated manifolds and down pipe, came out great and the emmissions are insanely low, I will post up a pic in my thread of the smog report.

I used VHT Ceramic Paint on the heat shields, works great, But can be used on headers so downpipes are no big deal

sp100_072910.jpg

How does it hold up?

I have it on my upper manifold, valve covers, and headers. This is after a year and a half. Holds up very well. Under hood temps (measured near the super charger inlet) dropped by 38 degrees after adding to the headers.

I had this happen on Thursday so I have just placed an order for this myself. Thanks for the link!!! Will definitely be going the VHT route on mine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom