Magnaflow header down pipe with cat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed last week that the y-pipe on my factory exhaust for the lx was starting to crack and split. The rest of my exhaust looks fine but was shopping around and found the Magnaflow downpipe for our vehicle and was wandering what anyone who has tried this thought of it.

For those who have installed the Magnaflow header. I have a few questions. does the cat that comes on the new header turned flat or does it still sit verticle like the factory oem style? I would like to get better clearance and have it tucked up in the frame more.
I would like to install the new header down pipe and remove the second cat. will this cause any issues? And lastly I would like to bring the exhaust over the frame. Can this be done without having the floor board getting really hot or would I need a 1" body lift for clearance? I figured with a 1" body lift and a heat shield that would take care of any heat issues.

Thanks for any advice.

It's turned flat, but if you use the Magnaflow OEM replacement cat it is per original.

So there are 2 different styles of down pipe? 1 with the flat cat and 1 that is OEM style?

So there are 2 different styles of down pipe? 1 with the flat cat and 1 that is OEM style?
Sorry, but I meant the second cat, but I see that you don't want to use a second cat. To recap, the Magnaflow down pipe c/w cat has the cat orientated "flat".

I got the Bosal front y pipe with cat for just over 200 bucks recently, check partsgeek.com

yeah, good price, much less than the ems option, wonder it is is ca state legal? CARB legal....

I sent them an email asking.....

I sent them an email and they responded today. The bulge after the y pipe is actually a resonator and not a catalytic converter. This setup is off road only.

Why did they say it is for off road only?

I had the same problem 3 years ago. Had my local muffler shop re-weld it for $20. Has not been a problem since. I also had 1 3 way cat installed to replace the factory double cat setup. I had it turned sideways for better clearance. The computer is still happy, no smog problems. Passes fine here in Arizona. No visual inspection, just OBDII check. Exhaust can easily be run over frame. Good idea to install OEM heat shields from a 93-94 model that go over the frame. The mounting holes are still in the floor of the newer models. John

John...what brand 3-way cat did you install?

i just blew a 420 code and my exhaust has definitely seen better days since its stock and has around 220k miles on it. Was thinking about getting the magnaflow y-pipe and second cat into a some kind of muffler probably magnaflow and try and get it to dump before i have to go back over the frame. does anyone know if the single cat on the magnaflow y-pipe is a 3-way and if it will scrub the exhaust more than the two stock ones? msy just run single cat to save space!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom