MAF u bolt flip queston (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

unfortunately when you use the higher shock mount you use a shorter shock. It can limit your suspension travel a little
True. I am going with longer shocks. Just left the old mount in place.

unfortunately when you use the higher shock mount you use a shorter shock. It can limit your suspension travel a little

I didn't know this thread was brought back to life. I guess since I bought my 80 this year, the 40 build has taken the back shelf. All the shock mounts are stock, so I don't have a higher one. I need to get back in the garage soon and work on the 40.

Since this thread HAS been bumped, why not an UPDATE TOO!

Do NOT use the stock mounting pin location on the spring perch. When you actually wheel your truck and your springs compress, your axle will move rearwards. This will pull the shock can into the top plate of the flip kit, CRUSHING THE SHOCK ABSORBER!!!!!

MAF has been aware of this problem for a while now, and it is my understanding that they no longer offer the rear flipkit without the shock mounting pin precisely because of this issue.

Best

Mark A.

BTW, I posted my solution to this issue on another thread involving the flipkits.

Mark is 100% right this happened to my rear shock on the Rubicon, the top plate smashed in to the shock. It dented the shock so bad that they would not compress all the way. I contacted MAF and informed them, i was one of the first to have this problem +3 years ago, this is why they no longer sell them, i was disappointed when i opened up Toyota 4wd owners mag where they said to re-use the stock location

Since this thread HAS been bumped, why not an UPDATE TOO!

Do NOT use the stock mounting pin location on the spring perch. When you actually wheel your truck and your springs compress, your axle will move rearwards. This will pull the shock can into the top plate of the flip kit, CRUSHING THE SHOCK ABSORBER!!!!!

MAF has been aware of this problem for a while now, and it is my understanding that they no longer offer the rear flipkit without the shock mounting pin precisely because of this issue.

Best

Mark A.

BTW, I posted my solution to this issue on another thread involving the flipkits.

Sorry Mark,

Not much of an Update on this 40. I think I picked to many things to fix at once (new harness, axle rebuild, lift, body panels, etc...) I just got burnt out last year. Then of course work kicked in when Spring came around. Anyways, should the shock be mounted to the pin on the axle or the one on the bottom plate of the kit? I will look for your thread before I get back in the garage.

Thanks
Rudy

Sorry Mark,

Not much of an Update on this 40. I think I picked to many things to fix at once (new harness, axle rebuild, lift, body panels, etc...) I just got burnt out last year. Then of course work kicked in when Spring came around. Anyways, should the shock be mounted to the pin on the axle or the one on the bottom plate of the kit? I will look for your thread before I get back in the garage.

Thanks
Rudy

The one on the bottom plates of the kit, that is, if you bought the rear kit with the shock mount pin. As has been stated above, MAF no longer sells the rear kit without the shock pin. I have the U-Bolt flip kits front and rear (with the rear shock mounting pins) and have been very happy with the conversion. Make sure you re-torque the U-Bolts as they will stretch after initial installation.

The one on the bottom plates of the kit, that is, if you bought the rear kit with the shock mount pin. As has been stated above, MAF no longer sells the rear kit without the shock pin. I have the U-Bolt flip kits front and rear (with the rear shock mounting pins) and have been very happy with the conversion. Make sure you re-torque the U-Bolts as they will stretch after initial installation.

I have the front and rear kits. I guess I will have to so how it goes. I don't plan too much on off roading her (strong arm steering would be a PITA). Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom