MAF u bolt flip queston (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My kit came in this weekend, but it did not come with instructions. I put it together but had difficultly with the shocks mounting. Does anyone have pics I could look at.

Thanks,

Rudy

Thanks eleblanc,

Just a little confused. I guess the shocks on the rear need to be inverted? I put them on like I noramally see them. (yes my first bigger job on a truck). Ironic that i printed your pic on the ramp the other day to make sure I had the shackles right!

Thanks for the pics,

Rudy

Thanks eleblanc,

Just a little confused. I guess the shocks on the rear need to be inverted? I put them on like I noramally see them. (yes my first bigger job on a truck). Ironic that i printed your pic on the ramp the other day to make sure I had the shackles right!

Thanks for the pics,

Rudy

Shocks are not inverted, well not on my installation, larger diameter of the shock goes up, it is simply a rod protector. Upside down and dirt will accumulate in it. Maybe you should post a picture of you issue.

Rear shocks do not need to be inverted. Just attach the lower end to the pin welded to the ubolt flip plate. On my rear ubolt flip, I cut off the welded pin and used a shock pin bolted to the rear of the spring perch. It keeps the bottom of the shock away from the rocks.

Here you go!
flipkit402.jpg
flipkit401.jpg

Do you have a pic for us?

I think he just bolted the old spring perch onto the top of the Man-A-Fre perch. Pretty good idea if it isn't too short for the shock.

I think he just bolted the old spring perch onto the top of the Man-A-Fre perch. Pretty good idea if it isn't too short for the shock.

No, at the rear of my stock '77 spring perch on the rear axle, there is a hole that in prior years Toyota used for a shock stud. I couldn't find the Toyota shock stud and used an sae 5/8" shock pin. I had to waller out the hole a little bit to fit the gm? shock stud.

The bottom of the shock attaches there now. Before, the shocks were getting smashed up from the rocks.

I cut off the spring pin on the maf bottom piece. They now look like the bottom piece for the front flip kits.

In post #12, you can see the hole. In post #27 you can see how the shock mounts and the bottom piece that still has the shock pin. That's what I cut off on my bottom piece.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=122565&highlight=rear+shock+mount

Now I know what not to do!

I guess my logical idea was to put the ubolts on like normal. After looking at the pictures and talking to Steve from MAF I can see what I did wrong. Kinda feel like a dumbass now. When I get off work I need get back in the garage and switch the plates. Thanks for the help!

Rudy
Picture or Video 073.jpg

That's how we learn. No biggie. Looks like you have the stock shock pin I was looking for. If you add some antiseize to your ubolt threads, it'll make things much easier for readjustments. Those ubolts rust up really fast.

Does anyone know the torque specs for these ubolts?

Thanks,

Rudy

No, at the rear of my stock '77 spring perch on the rear axle, there is a hole that in prior years Toyota used for a shock stud. I couldn't find the Toyota shock stud and used an sae 5/8" shock pin. I had to waller out the hole a little bit to fit the gm? shock stud.

The bottom of the shock attaches there now. Before, the shocks were getting smashed up from the rocks.

I cut off the spring pin on the maf bottom piece. They now look like the bottom piece for the front flip kits.

In post #12, you can see the hole. In post #27 you can see how the shock mounts and the bottom piece that still has the shock pin. That's what I cut off on my bottom piece.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=122565&highlight=rear+shock+mount

Thanks, that's a great solution...

I guess my logical idea was to put the ubolts on like normal. After looking at the pictures and talking to Steve from MAF I can see what I did wrong. Kinda feel like a dumbass now. When I get off work I need get back in the garage and switch the plates. Thanks for the help!

Rudy

I did the same at first (before I torqued them down...)

Does anyone know the torque specs for these ubolts?

Thanks,

Rudy

I did them at factory spec (whatever that is, 90-110ft/lb?). You'll have to retorque a few times, too after you drive it a bit.

Much easier now.

I think this looks better and it all went in easily. Now Blue has thinking about using the shock pin on the axle. I can see where it will keep it out of the way better, but it will look like a tight fit (post #10). Does the later axle have more space? Mine is a '71.

Rudy
Picture or Video 075.jpg

After i got mine installed, they eventually got loose, only a few bolts. Since then i have been carrying 7/8" key to check them once in a while. Since i've got them retight, they haven't got loose.

I just installed mine. Great fit. No grinding, no bending, no tugging, no pulling. It will be a while until the truck moves under its own power so I will not have to retorque for a while but I know I will eventually.

These really fit well.

Chassis 004.jpg
Chassis 004.jpg

unfortunately when you use the higher shock mount you use a shorter shock. It can limit your suspension travel a little

I think this looks better and it all went in easily. Now Blue has thinking about using the shock pin on the axle. I can see where it will keep it out of the way better, but it will look like a tight fit (post #10). Does the later axle have more space? Mine is a '71.

Rudy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom