LX570 AHC Globe/Accumulator Replacement (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Help!

I used a 12 point 21mm and stripped one of these. Any methods that don't involve a special extractor that's not available this time of night?
I know everyone says this is 21mm, my 13/16 6 point fit even more snug then the 21mm, can try to hammer one on if you have it and use a breaker bar very easily.

I know everyone says this is 21mm, my 13/16 6 point fit even more snug then the 21mm, can try to hammer one on if you have it and use a breaker bar very easily.
Sorry didn’t see the post after about completly removing the nut.

Sorry didn’t see the post after about completly removing the nut.
Thanks. I actually did discover the same thing about the 13/16

My rear globes came off without a problem, but I rounded off the bolt heads on both front globes. Hammer and chisel eventually got them off.

Well I was able to get some vise grips on there and a pipe. It held . . . Held so well that this happened

I mean if it will break that thing off and not budge then F me. It's going to the shop for something else tomorrow and I may have to pay them to do it. Other 3 globes are on fine.

If I drill a hole is it drivable if I can't get it off? I wouldn't think so.

View attachment 3359921
Same thing happened to one of the rear accumulator last June when I replaced the accumulators. I ended up drilling two holes into it and use a long metal pipe to turn it loose. What a pain it was!

20220625_203203.jpg

@JohnnyFish @runnerxa in both your cases, was the difficulty getting it moving in the first place, but once moving they were easy? Or did they fight you the whole way out?

Just curious.

@JohnnyFish @runnerxa in both your cases, was the difficulty getting it moving in the first place, but once moving they were easy? Or did they fight you the whole way out?

Just curious.
Once broken free, they turned out by hand.

What is the consensus on when to do this. I have a 2013 LX570 with 210k miles and has only had the AHC fluid refreshed once at the 120k mile mark. I think it rides nice since acquiring at the 200k mile mark. Should i just do this because I am at 200k miles or should i base it off of some metrics?

Thanks

What is the consensus on when to do this. I have a 2013 LX570 with 210k miles and has only had the AHC fluid refreshed once at the 120k mile mark. I think it rides nice since acquiring at the 200k mile mark. Should i just do this because I am at 200k miles or should i base it off of some metrics?

Thanks
If the accumulators are the originals at 210k miles then you definitely want to replace them.

If the accumulators are the originals at 210k miles then you definitely want to replace them.
They are originals. Seems to ride about the same as my 2020 HE but am not afraid to give them a change. My dad is a lifelong mechanic and has a 2 post lift in his garage. Not sure if that would be handy or not for this replacement.

They are originals. Seems to ride about the same as my 2020 HE but am not afraid to give them a change. My dad is a lifelong mechanic and has a 2 post lift in his garage. Not sure if that would be handy or not for this replacement.
If they're original I would replace them. You want the truck on the ground for this replacement so you can bleed it properly with weight on the suspension. Easy to do, check out the video in post #1, shows you 95% of the process.

I’m surprised yours still rides well with that mileage. Mine went downhill very quickly between probably 145k and 155k and slammed over bumps pretty badly. Normal consensus seems to be about 150k, but probably depends on use case.

With 210k, I’d just go ahead and replace them.

I bet it’s kinda like watching your kids grow up, you don’t really have a point of comparison until you look back at baby pictures to realize they’ve grown up. Sorry kid is starting high school so kinda in shock…

Hard for me to tell if it needs new gloves since it’s a truck I assume going over speed bumps should be bouncy…. My 2009 LX has 225k, had ahc fluid swapped at least a couple times, at least once or twice ( have records but can’t remember intervals) by dealer by the book (so maybe not full flush… and once by me somewhere around 200-210k-ish fully.

I assume i need them and very curious if the ride feel will suddenly be different. Love the videos posted here, takes the mystery and scariness out of the dreaded threats of why people say not to buy these amazing machines!

Last edited:
I bet it’s kinda like watching your kids grow up, you don’t really have a point of comparison until you look back at baby pictures to realize they’ve grown up. Sorry kid is starting high school so kinda in shock…

Hard for me to tell if it needs new gloves since it’s a truck I assume going over speed bumps should be bouncy…. My 2008 LX has 225k, had aux fluid swapped at least a couple times, at least once or twice ( have records but can’t remember intervals) by dealer by the book (so maybe not full flush… and once by me somewhere around 200-210k-ish fully.

I assume i need them and very curious if the ride feel will suddenly be different. Love the videos posted here, takes the mystery and scariness out of the dreaded threats of why people say not to buy these amazing machines!
Totally get what you mean. After a while you just think things are normal. They're easy to maintain actually. I think people just hesitate because to them it is "the unknown". Once you get into it, the system is actually pretty easy to maintain with very little attention. If you post in your local area subforum, there might be a local with an LX570 that would be nice enough to let you drive it for comparison. At your milage, if the globes are original they likely need to be replaced.

Thanks for the info. I was going to flush and replace fluids. I'm at 92,000 miles. I'm just unsure if I should just replace the accumulator globes at the same time? It's $100 in fluids. I hate to do a flush and still end up with a ride that seems a little "bouncy" at times. Not well balanced to some extent. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the info. I was going to flush and replace fluids. I'm at 92,000 miles. I'm just unsure if I should just replace the accumulator globes at the same time? It's $100 in fluids. I hate to do a flush and still end up with a ride that seems a little "bouncy" at times. Not well balanced to some extent. Any thoughts?
This is in comparison to a new '21 LX570 I had for about a year. I just picked up a '15 LX570 with >90,000 miles. Feels a lot different regardless of tries/wheels.

Hard for me to tell if it needs new gloves since it’s a truck I assume going over speed bumps should be bouncy…. My 2008 LX has 225k, had aux fluid swapped at least a couple times, at least once or twice ( have records but can’t remember intervals) by dealer by the book (so maybe not full flush… and once by me somewhere around 200-210k-ish fully.

I was really sweating trapping bubbles and all that, but it turned out to be no big deal. I did it like the video in the original post, with the addition of the @AnyMal burp technique using the gutter at the end of my driveway. Much better now, at 160k or so with a decent amount of wheeling.

If you suspect your ride has degraded (especially since you’ve had a comparison to new) then I wouldn’t rely on a fluid change to be a magic bullet. If it feels like it lurches corner to corner when you smack highway bumps or gets shuddery over multiple quick bumps, I’d probably go straight for new globes. Surprising to see much degradation at 92k, but if they’re chooched then they’re chooched.

Is there any way to monitor through techstream to see pressures or some kind of number that would be an indicator that a globe is bad?
Currently my LX feels fine except the driverside rear just feels odd. It doesn't seem like the suspension moves like the other corners. the left rear still moves when hitting bumps but I'm getting the feeling that the left and right rear suspensions are acting differently.
I'm at 122K miles and I flushed the fluid at maybe 120k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom