Builds LX450 where to start! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice set-up. ;)

Does that come with a mounting solution for the resi's?

Finally made it to the end of this thread. What an odyssey.

All things considered, would you still suggest going with that aluminum fabricator in Houston? I've got family there, I could make a "trip home" and stumble upon a new rack.

Also, I'm about to start a (much milder) version of your build. If you had it to do again, would you do anything differently regarding the materials you used for sound-proofing and outfitting your interior?

Thanks for the entertaining read. I'll be moving back to Austin (from the UK... let's hope I don't melt) and picking up my 80 in about two weeks. Can't wait to get started. Only thing I'm doing differently than you (as far as creature comforts) is picking up a head unit which uses a detachable Android tablet. Nerdy offroading... does it get any better?

Flow,

I am very happy with the roof rack that Travis did, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him, and he can do any kind of custom touches you want, light tabs, higher side rails, etc.

I really like the sound deadener and the line-x would definitely do them again. Love the stereo, but the one thing I would change about it is the head unit. I would just do an Alpine Nav unit instead of the regular headunit, I hate the garmin the damn thing falls off the window all the time. So I agree with your idea of changing the headunit

Also I would probably piece together a lift instead of ordering the OME heavy. I am keeping the heavy rears but going with J's in the front and not using the OME shocks.

Other than that so far I love everything about the truck, but it is always an evolution. lol.

Flow,

I am very happy with the roof rack that Travis did, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him, and he can do any kind of custom touches you want, light tabs, higher side rails, etc.

I really like the sound deadener and the line-x would definitely do them again. Love the stereo, but the one thing I would change about it is the head unit. I would just do an Alpine Nav unit instead of the regular headunit, I hate the garmin the damn thing falls off the window all the time. So I agree with your idea of changing the headunit

Also I would probably piece together a lift instead of ordering the OME heavy. I am keeping the heavy rears but going with J's in the front and not using the OME shocks.

Other than that so far I love everything about the truck, but it is always an evolution. lol.

I thought the j's were only offered in a heavy spring rate....

Not installed yet. I have a bunch of crap in boxes still, hopefully in a few weeks.

Can you open a box and take a pic of the mount?

I'd be indebted.

Can't find it anywhere on the web and failed miserably in a recent thread at showing proper respect, or even common decency to Christo, so not asking him ( plus its not his stuff, anyway).

There is some welding etc that needs to be done, but shouldn't be hard to weld up, throw on top of the coil buckets and strap down with some stainless clamps.

image-603510939.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.

If I'm understanding the pre-punched plates orientation to the upper coil bucket, do you have to cut a hole in it to bolt up?

image-1080251892.jpg

On mine, has to stay as close to the inner fender as possible, otherwise a tire could rip it off.

Have them zip tied now. Haha.

image-1080251892.jpg

You know I haven't even looked at it yet to tell you the honest truth lol. They did tell me fabrication would be necessary but I kind of figured it would be. I am actually a little surprised though since Slee's stuff is usually so over the top thorough. This is the first part from them that I didn't see instructions and everything finished to a T.

Knew I needed to do the rear brakes so I finally got the boxes out of the garage, I went with cryo treated powerstop brakes and EBC pads. Did the rear brakes, cleaned everything up, greased and locktighted the caliper bolts.

I found the front passenger side wheel bearing was a little loose so pulled the front wheel and snugged up the wheel nut, couldn't get the bearing tight enough to take the play out of the wheel like I would have liked so it looks like I will be back in there to do all the bearings and rebuild the front end.

I really wanted to add a bit to the track width but I couldn't find an all forged wheel in 16x8, 6x139.7, with 3" of backspacing. So I went with 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers. Not a big wheel spacer fan but these are very well made, and I will check on them in a few hundred miles.

Final dyno test will be Nov 15th. We have been doing a lot of little tweaks, changed the wastegate actuator for the high boost actuator, before I could boost to 16psi, but then I would blow the wastegate open and boost would drop quickly, with the new actuator it holds any boost I want and is very nice to drive. I am going to be looking at what the Supra guys are doing with the A340 since I am not sure but I think the transmission will be the next weak link. Boost builds so fast I think the torque is going to be too much, might have to limit boost at low RPM's. We are all just kind of guessing since there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast numbers out there. I would like to make a lot of power but on the other side the truck doesn't need anymore and I don't want to blow anything up..... Anyone else want to volunteer to be the guinea pig? lol.

Last piece for my front suspension from those guys in Golden was waiting on my door tonight. Very high quality looks like another homerun for Slee and total overkill for my needs. Lol

ADS makes a damn good product.. I run the same shocks on my Lexus in the front. Slee couldn't have found a better manufacture to put their name on.

Yes the shocks look great, machining is top notch, anodizing and etching is top notch but I am a little disappointed that there wasn't a more thought out reservoir mounting solution. The guys at Slee are usually much more thorough than that. If they aren't going to include a reservoir mount they should just do the shock as a piggyback reservoir. I haven't installed them yet so I will have to report back with a proper review then but so far I give them a 9/10 in fit and finish and 5/10 for the Slee "kit"

**This is not a bash on Slee, those guys are great, and I am sure there isn't much market for $500 shocks for the 80 series, so I understand not devoting a lot of time/effort to it, but I guess I have just been spoiled by how flawless their other products have been**

Last edited:
I was this close ---> <---- to going the same. I couldn't wait the time and did OME. They are fine for now. But the ADS are on my list. When I talked to Christo last he said he was working on the mounts. I'm surprised to hear he doesn't have a better solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom