LX 450 and Other New Things (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jamie,
I got this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CU5HGF4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L5O9QW2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and a black plastic blank, added the holes it it fits nicely under the radio. Radio is simple Kenwood (Crutchfield has good selection and direct harness).

The switch is to power the little strip, so I can turn it on/off without ignition. Can charge an iphone in no time.
IMG_2372.jpg

A fuse box by the cruise control area in the engine bay powers it up. The voltmeter is for me to monitor it, I guess you can add another USP or port. All lights are green.
IMG_7389.jpg

AHHH!!!!!!! :cry: So bitter sweet selling that one. Congrats!!!!!

Nice meeting you Jamie.

Its really cool your wife and daughter got on the Greyhound with you. If that was me, it would have been a lonely ride.

Glad its staying in NC, so at least I can lurk around here and see some pics every now and then.

Jamie,
I got this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CU5HGF4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L5O9QW2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and a black plastic blank, added the holes it it fits nicely under the radio. Radio is simple Kenwood (Crutchfield has good selection and direct harness).

The switch is to power the little strip, so I can turn it on/off without ignition. Can charge an iphone in no time.
View attachment 1577549

A fuse box by the cruise control area in the engine bay powers it up. The voltmeter is for me to monitor it, I guess you can add another USP or port. All lights are green.
View attachment 1577550

Nice. I was hoping to put in a Double DIN for the back up camera, blue tooth, old eyes, etc.

I have an on/off switch and a double 4.8A USB that I was going to put in my Tundra that i was thinking about installing on both sides of the rear heat switch. Also thinking about putting the on/off on the far left by the locker switch and doing 2 double USB.

Blue Sea 1039 Fast Charge Dual USB Charger Contura Switch Mount | Powerwerx

Contura II Switch SPST Black - OFF-ON - Blue Sea Systems

on my 450, I put a couple of 12 volt sockets in the rear of the console, fed off my aux battery. I ran a fused 8gauge wire to them. I also ran 4 gauge from my aux to the passenger rear quarter panel, and installed a 6 port blue sea fuse panel. I ran a total of 6 circuits (3 on CLA sockets, and 3 pairs of banana plugs for my RC chargers)

When youre ready, I've got a bunch of 1 gauge and 2 gauge welding wire, as well as a hammer crimper and some connectors. I think I've also got some additional 4 gauge too.

Great looking LX. What Double DIN are you looking at? I need one for Bluebird.

on my 450, I put a couple of 12 volt sockets in the rear of the console, fed off my aux battery. I ran a fused 8gauge wire to them. I also ran 4 gauge from my aux to the passenger rear quarter panel, and installed a 6 port blue sea fuse panel. I ran a total of 6 circuits (3 on CLA sockets, and 3 pairs of banana plugs for my RC chargers)

When youre ready, I've got a bunch of 1 gauge and 2 gauge welding wire, as well as a hammer crimper and some connectors. I think I've also got some additional 4 gauge too.

Love it. Would like to see the work! I think I used up most of my 2 gauge on the Tundra. I will do an inventory and see what I have left vs what I need and buy some stuff from you if OK (or trade beers, I am on a new diet and I have a ton of great beer that needs to be taken away). :(

Great looking LX. What Double DIN are you looking at? I need one for Bluebird.

I went EXPENSIVE on my 4Runner with a Garmin Kenwood and regretted it.

I went CHEAP on my Tundra and love it :)

Thinking about just doing the same basic one: Pioneer AVH-X391BHS

Bluetooth works great, back up camera works great, don't love the controls, but they are OK. With the subwoofer, I guess I may need the 3 pairs of RCA. External mic for calls.

Edit - I put a 16GB flash drive on it and can play a LOT of music off it, too MP3.

Love it. Would like to see the work! I think I used up most of my 2 gauge on the Tundra. I will do an inventory and see what I have left vs what I need and buy some stuff from you if OK (or trade beers, I am on a new diet and I have a ton of great beer that needs to be taken away). :(
Just consider me your first employee paid in beers. :D

But seriously I have a Tupperware bin just full of random wire. You welcome to any of it.

I had the same issue with needing power. Here is an old post when I overhauled my console when Isla was a baby.

Console Overhaul

Maybe This will give you some ideas.

Awesome -thanks for sharing - love reading your write ups, Austin :)

I'll help you with the beer, can't offer any expert advice or parts ;)....... j/k. :)

Most of it was yanked out of the 450 to be put in the white 97 lc LOL. So it could be pretty close to plug and play LOLOL. I used a surepower bidirectional separator on mine, with a switch for the alternator charge sensing. I had a bussman 150 amp breaker on the drivers side, 1 gauge to the seperator mounted behind the passenger batt tray, and then a feed to the aux batt. To feed the rear, I had an 80 amp maxi fuse on 4 gauge, fed to the rear quarter passenger side. I tapped an existing ground bolt there.

I'm not sure the Tundra switch blanks are the same size as the 80.

If you want pre-assembled goodness, SLEE offers a relayed headlight harness that also includes leads for AUX lights. It is said to allow for brighter lights by way of direct battery connection. Just add a switch to a dash blank for separate AUX light control or skip it and activate them with the lo or hi beams. They also offer leads to power AUX lights from your stock headlight connectors.

Search for John Deere headlight upgrade/ Daniel Stern Lighting in the 80's Tech. Made a HUGE low beam difference for me. Need to do it in my LX. The hi beams in my 80 w/SLEE harness) are stock and killer bright. My stock LX hi beams pale in comparison.

There are some others out there, but here's this - Finally a fast charge USB to fit an 80 series cut out.

I own that top one on that post @JohnVee - the Blue Sea square one.

I got it for the 4.8 Amp charger - same as a tablet or for the Note 5/8 I have owned. I will give it a shot as I already own it - may buy a second one if it works.

I wasn't smart enough to realize the blanks may be different sizes or to check. The Tundra has 3 chargers in the front, one in the 2nd row and 4 big cup holders - I am so spoiled!

This may be a while - I don't want to to a Stereo, then a dual battery, then an Aux in the front then an Aux in the back - just gonna try to do it all at once if possible :\ Wife isn't real excited about another dual battery system, though :(

Jamie,

View attachment 1577549

View attachment 1577550

@Izzyandsue and all:

Found these four slot gauge clusters as well - not nearly as artistic as Izzy's, but given his hourly rate is prolly high, I may have to use a cheaper alternative:

Blue Sea 4357 BelowDeck 3 Position Blank Panel | Powerwerx

Four Hole Wide Panel Mounting Plate | Powerwerx

Not sure how I missed this. Congrats on the new cruiser and the new gig! I like the idea of managing a B&B in my retirement. Let us all know if "the idea" is as cool as the reality.

I like the idea of managing a B&B in my retirement. Let us all know if "the idea" is as cool as the reality.
FWIW I'm watching Newhart right now!

Just consider me your first employee paid in beers. :D

But seriously I have a Tupperware bin just full of random wire. You welcome to any of it.

Heather said she would love to watch the kids if you want to help on some electrical stuff and drink beers. She hasn't seen her toddler nephews in months and needs a "baby fix" :)

Not sure how I missed this. Congrats on the new cruiser and the new gig! I like the idea of managing a B&B in my retirement. Let us all know if "the idea" is as cool as the reality.

We did this more out of opportunity, chance and desperation. :)

From what I can tell, unless you are Chip and Joanna Gaines, B&Bs are bigger losers than restaurants. We are in a unique situation were many weird things pointed us in this direction, so it happened. We will know the pains soon as we basically have to be up and running again by March. Thankfully the deal included all of the contents of the home and the guest list over 17 years and other "business" items.

We intend to do a lot of painting, refurbing rooms, redecorating, etc. before March.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom