Builds Lumpskie's Diesel 80 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That was an awesome read, kudos for making the best out of that trip and to the LC for handling it like a champ.

Ive crossed the Canadian border a couple times during our PNW trips and it really is amazing how much nicer Canadian border agents are compared to American Border Agents, its like they all know their role in the sterotypes and are really owning it.

That was an awesome read, kudos for making the best out of that trip and to the LC for handling it like a champ.

Ive crossed the Canadian border a couple times during our PNW trips and it really is amazing how much nicer Canadian border agents are compared to American Border Agents, its like they all know their role in the sterotypes and are really owning it.
Thanks man. And you made me laugh at the stereo types... so true! ...especially in New England...

That looks like a nice slide! I'm considering taking the drivers side 3 row seat out and using the mounting bar as a place to mount the slide for my fridge. I think that might force me into a tilt or drop style slide, due to the height. But, it would allow me to move the fridge as far outboard as possible, leaving more space for the family's gear. Did the fridge take leave some open space on the outside for your, placed where it is now?
The placement of the fridge in that last photo has space on the outside. Basically the width of the wheel well plus a couple inches. I have a small Collapsible table/benches that fit nicely on the outside of the fridge. Could also fit soft gear over there pretty easily. It was a good place to stuff sleeping bags etc. There was about 10" or so on the other side of the fridge that was open as well without getting onto the other third row seat.

I did a little digging and found the source of my issue with the fridge powering off in the Cruiser:

5ArH75mh.jpg

You can see the wires were loosely twisted together... no solder or connectors of any kind:
VYgI7amh.jpg

My buddy Tyler came over and used his real/fancy crimp tool to do this:

GhwGFJDh.jpg

The fridge now works well on the "Low" setting for voltage protection. As a test, I left the fridge running in the Cruiser. I drove it on Friday and parked it around 5pm Monday evening. I left it running and it ran without shutting off will last night. Before I went to bed, I check battery voltage and got 12.25 volts. When I checked this morning, the fridge had turned off sometime overnight. Battery voltage was 12.18. When I started the Cruiser, the fridge showed a temperature of 43 degrees... up from the nominal temp of 37 degrees. Based on a 6 degree rise (sitting in a 55 degree garage), I'd guess that the fridge had turned off somewhere in the middle of the night. Long story short, it seems like the protection works on Low mode and will shut the fridge off before my battery gets too low to start the Cruiser. It also makes me happy that I have new batteries and a high output alternator. Do you guys leave your fridges running in your rigs? How do you guys have yours setup for voltage protection?

I went out to the cabin on Monday and took the opportunity to run a short class 6 while I was there. It felt like we were totally alone out there in the snow storm.

wWyNOZQh.jpg

Shorty out on the lake
V940oiUh.jpg

No one had been on the Class 6!

2XakknTh.jpg

Leaving tracks
Jq4W6qWh.jpg

Came to the brook water crossing and grabbed some glamour shots. It was mostly frozen over. The headlight lit up the water so that I could see the rocks, so I ended up taking a bunch of pictures. Here are a couple cool ones.

eI89Z7Bh.jpg

WQcM6pmh.jpg

Z5PaZLAh.jpg

o5El1p1h.jpg

View from the vehicle

71FIdPLh.jpg

Bd1N9fzh.jpg

Anyway, I thought that was neat. After running the trail, we had to break through a 40" berm of snow. I was surprised but the Cruiser plowed it without slowing down! Got a shot after:

vrg47y2h.jpg

Shorty and I went home and played in the backyard till nightfall. It was a fun little trip!

EcJaLTNh.jpg

@RFB did a walk around video of my rig. I had a great time meeting him and gotta say I'm kind of excited to have my rig featured on his channel.

Went up to the cabin for the weekend. When we got there the snow was pretty deep. Man, the Cruiser is awesome in snow.

8RXEKf2h.jpg

I got it oil coated while I was up there too.
sIR7v3hh.jpg

The cabin was cozy with the snow. This was our first time staying there in true wintery weather, since we enclosed the area below it.
drdT1clh.jpg

vnumyaih.jpg

The next day, the temp rose to the mid 50s! Snow was melting fast and even the lake ice was melting. I grabbed a picture I thought was neat.
dMxJBd6h.jpg

After our short stay, we headed home that afternoon. By the time we got back, all the snow was melted and it was 70 degrees! Crazy.
NAmUwXfh.jpg

I need a cabin in the woods

Everyone needs a cabin in the woods, if you ask me! Ours is a money pit... but totally worth it.

@RFB did a walk around video of my rig. I had a great time meeting him and gotta say I'm kind of excited to have my rig featured on his channel.

Very cool vid Lump.... I like the belly plate very much.

In my quest for more balanced flex, I took a chance and bought some Superior Engineering Superflex radius arms. They were advertised as being good for 3-5" of lift. I contacted Superior Engineering and they told me that the arms had 10 degrees of caster correction built in to them. I have already set my caster using plates, and am not looking to change that because I'm set with no drivetrain vibration using the stock front driveshaft right now. So, I looked at making my own plates to leverage the superflex side arm on one side and a stock arm on the other, keeping my current caster setup. After doing a quick measurement, I figured out that these arms are designed to extend the wheelbase by about an inch... so that was a no go. Long story short, I can make these arms work, but it's not worth the time involved. I'm going to sell them and buy a single stock superflex arm instead.

hpfNR2Ch.jpg

Great build, I leave my fridge running constantly, 2nd batter and solar panel.
Thanks! Does your fridge ever trip its voltage protection?

I bit the bullet and ordered a tire swingout for the rear ARB. Wheeling without a full size spare just feels like gambling at this point. I also am getting a quote on a single superflex arm with no caster built into it. I'd like to give that design a try because I want to leverage my slinky setup a bit more. I'll post up pictures, when the parts come in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom