Builds Lumpskie's Diesel 80 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ordered a new belt from McGeorge Toyota. When I ordered the belt they had the "also frequently purchased" suggestion for a tensioner. I rolled the dice and bought that too. They fit perfectly! (I'm sure they are both shared with an engine that was sold in the U.S., I just don't know which one... maybe highlander/Camry? ...4Runner?)

isF4Veqh.jpg

Anyway, that looks better:

mM3BuUAh.jpg

My stock height (no caster correction Superflex arm arrived.) I need some longer hardware to get it to work with my caster correction brackets, but I found old U-bolt washers that I can use as spacers for the 3rd bolt hole. (I need to get my rear heavy springs on before I install this, but I am excited to see if my idea will work or not)

vO38rMUh.jpg

What's the benefit if there's no castor correction built in? Flex better? Did you also consider the Delta arms?

What's the benefit if there's no castor correction built in? Flex better? Did you also consider the Delta arms?

I guess this is kind of a science project... Looking at the design of the superflex arms, I believe that they flex much better than the Delta arms, do to the leverage that can be applied to the bushings at the closer distance. I originally grabbed some arms with caster built in. But, that meant I had to remove my LandTank caster brackets to reweld the brackets on the axle. Those arms also had 10 degrees of correction. (they had the benefit of moving the axle forward too...) 10 degrees of correction is too much for a 3" lift.

So, I decided to try to use an arm that had no correction built in and set it up to work with my current castor correction brackets. I like my current caster and I know that I can drive 90 mph down the freeway with my current setup. Plus... I haven't seen this done before. (which I think is kind of cool) My hope is to get my rig to drive just like it does now on road. But get it to flex like Shauno's rig from 4wd Action! (Maybe even better with my Slinky setup!?)

hqdefault.jpg

We got, perhaps, the last snow of the year, up at the cabin. It was one of those snows that coated the ground and all the branches... kind of post card looking. I took way too many pictures... got too excited I guess.

lGQr2rFh.jpg

e06VqXVh.jpg

AGmNuOXh.jpg

InSMr4Ah.jpg

YvFmqsGh.jpg

LCNzEJyh.jpg

13Xweq7h.jpg

WBdTxqch.jpg

yD2eMUhh.jpg

I had a chance to have a little Cruiser versus Jeep action yesterday. I have a buddy with a CJ on TSL 35s with a 4:1 kit, Alcan springs and F/R lockers. I'm on 35" Duratracs, locked F/R, with Slinky springs. He recorded me coming up an obstacle called "Papa Bear", then I filmed him.

Here's me going up... it was really narrow for the 80. I had less than an inch from the rear fender on the driver's side

Here's the CJ. He had way more room but I think the short wheel base got him.
\

I was surprised that the Super Swampers didn't out perform my Duratracs. Maybe my extra weight helped me?

Not my rig but entertaining, nonetheless. My buddy Rob filmed my other buddy Kevin while he was crawling up Volkswagen Hill. IFS front end cause him to rock the truck a bit and he mangled his tail light and quarter panel.

Yesterday was a big day for me with the Land Cruiser. When I bought it, I made a plan for the suspension that would make the radius arm front end flex like a solid axle should. I finally completed that plan! I got the Superflex radius arm on the front and Slinky heavy springs in the rear.

I started by climbing the rock in the back yard (hey it seemed so tall with the Tacoma!)
U3MudPah.jpg

From there, I went out to my local flex rock.

Here are the results: (The rock is somewhere around 36" tall... my tire is just shy of that)

U7hNrqyh.jpg

Xdans39h.jpg

rGx5hIDh.jpg

OsmD1WBh.jpg

RFwqvdIh.jpg

elNaQAxh.jpg

tgf19n3h.jpg

I need to find a taller rock!

Looks great, how's it drive on the highway with the new arms?

Looks great, how's it drive on the highway with the new arms?

I've only got it up to 50 mph so far. With the firmer rear springs in there, it turns flatter than before. We're going up to the cabin with it today, so we'll get plenty of distance going 75-85 mph. Because caster is unchanged, I'm hoping it will drive just like before.

Also, just for clarity... I only changed 1 arm. My other one is stock... I'm a penny pincher, haha!

I've only got it up to 50 mph so far. With the firmer rear springs in there, it turns flatter than before. We're going up to the cabin with it today, so we'll get plenty of distance going 75-85 mph. Because caster is unchanged, I'm hoping it will drive just like before.

Also, just for clarity... I only changed 1 arm. My other one is stock... I'm a penny pincher, haha!
Oh that's funny. I just noticed that.

It's hard to characterize how much better this setup feels than before. But, I dug up a couple of pictures to help show it. Notice how the front tire isn't fully stuffed here?

hSaVMclh.jpg

Now notice how it's stuffed here?
elNaQAxh.jpg

It doesn't look like that much but it feels waaay better. The front is flexing way more and the rear is flexing less.

Here are another couple of pictures:

See how the droop is limited in the front here?

FvWmmlah.jpg

Now see it increased here?
tgf19n3h.jpg

Also, I was basically flexed out in the older pictures because the rear end was at the bumps and fully extended. Now, neither the front or rear is fully flexed out. There is more flex left. On my flex rock, I went from feeling tippy and uneasy to now totally at easy and not tippy at all. The cab is noticeably flatter as well.

I didn't even realize that was an option! So there's no castor correction built into the arm?

Does it flex equally on both sides with just the one arm changed out?

85MPH ?!?! It feels weird taking this thing over 70mph

I didn't even realize that was an option! So there's no castor correction built into the arm?

Does it flex equally on both sides with just the one arm changed out?

Yep, that is why I got excited about this experiment! It seems to flex equally both ways and feels seamless from the cab. Also, there is not change in caster. So, I'm expecting it to handle very similar to before, without introducing any driveline vibrations. So far, I am loving it! (pending today's highway test)

85MPH ?!?! It feels weird taking this thing over 70mph
I burn fuel pretty quick at those speeds, but it feels ok! (I think I get 17 or 18 mpg if I cruiser aroudn 80 mph)

Looking good! Have 37’s been a thought yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom