Builds Lumpskie's Diesel 80 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man the northeast is wild

Yeah. Coming from CO, I thought "I've seen everything winter has to offer". But, the storms seem to be bigger out here. One storm last year dumped over 3 feet... and I'm guessing we'll see another like that this year!

Here's a good opportunity for you guys to make fun of me. I think I'm going to get a right side tire swing out for my rear ARB bumper. I am getting anxious wheeling without a full size spare.

Ready to go wheeling tomorrow!

blUTW0bh.jpg

Finally... Cruiser pictures from the weekend. The first few are from the same climb as in the videos. It took me a few tries, both lockers, and a fair bit of wheel speed to make it up.

wFaiKXjh.jpg

RwNrsErh.jpg

IV9MWMbh.jpg

eQKWun1h.jpg

Here are some more photos from the trip. (I did some photo editing on a few to make them Instagram-y)

gv2i7Bgh.jpg

rlrp6uph.jpg

7CDLPqoh.jpg

i3SwnK6h.jpg

ickPMldh.jpg

f2WbACjh.jpg

UxqseUjh.jpg

icrHLQuh.jpg

kv6GxAkh.jpg

Jeche7Zh.jpg

My parents got me a cool surprise for my birthday... a Costway (labeled as Stakol) 44 quart fridge! I was looking at buying the 54 quart, just to see if I'm a car-fridge guy or not. So, I'm excited to see how it works out. I am going to pull out the drivers side 3rd row seat and make some sort of removable mount for it... hopefully over Christmas. After I get a basic mount made, I will probably do the lazy thing and buy a tiling slide out... if I can find one that fits. What do you guys run for fridge slides? Any drop down or tilting slides out there?

GC5148Mh.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the High and Medium voltage protection on the fridge trips when the compressor tried to kick on while the vehicle is off. The Low setting seems to work. I'm guessing that there is an instantaneous voltage drop on the line when the compressor tries to kick on. The low setting will let the fridge run down to 11.2 volts I believe. That's probably way to low to be safe to get the Cruiser started. It makes me want to hook the fridge up to a DC power supply and see what the real numbers are. For now, I'll disconnect it if I leave the Cruiser sitting for more than a day.

TJM has a tilt slide that seems reasonable. The fridge drop slides are obviously a bit more complex but also substantially more expensive! I've wanted to get an MSA drop slide as they seem like the best out there currently but holy moly it's a chunk of change for one of those, especially for the size fridge I have. I've resorted to attempting to build my own. I'm sure it won't be as "blingy" as the MSA one but I've spent $75 on material so now it's just a matter of time and a few welding consumables.

I found a really neat little DIY tilt slide on Youtube that would be quite simple to build and inexepensive. The creator made his out of wood but it looks to be working well for him. I'll see if I can find it.

TJM has a tilt slide that seems reasonable. The fridge drop slides are obviously a bit more complex but also substantially more expensive! I've wanted to get an MSA drop slide as they seem like the best out there currently but holy moly it's a chunk of change for one of those, especially for the size fridge I have. I've resorted to attempting to build my own. I'm sure it won't be as "blingy" as the MSA one but I've spent $75 on material so now it's just a matter of time and a few welding consumables.

I found a really neat little DIY tilt slide on Youtube that would be quite simple to build and inexepensive. The creator made his out of wood but it looks to be working well for him. I'll see if I can find it.
Thanks for the info! Do you have a link to that TJM slide? I found a tilt slide from DG Offroad that would work but it's still $350.

If you find that DIY slide, I'd love to see it

I left the fridge on, set to Low on the voltage protection, all day and all night. It worked flawlessly while I was at work. At home, I checked on it before going to bed and it was still working. This morning, it gave me an ER1 code... so the voltage protection had tripped. I checked battery voltage and it was 12.55. (it was 12.8 about an hour after parking it yesterday). So... I'm guessing the issue is the wiring of the rear 12v outlet. I know that changing/upgrading that wiring is common. But, that does not sound fun to me.

Here's the DIY tilt slide video.

As you know with kids, it's going to be a trade between my available time and my available money on this one. If you get going on yours, I'll follow along and see how quickly it goes. (adding a 50%-100% timeline for my fab versus yours) If it goes fast, I might give it a try. If not, I might be that guy that spends $350 on a fridge slide to hold a $350 fridge.:grinpimp:

I'd be really interested in seeing what you come up with for a DIY drop down.

I made a simple tilt slide for my 60 litre icebox. I found it really easy to use but being tilted made it difficult to sort through contents of the fridge as everything slides to the bottom corner.

Currently looking at dumping a bundle of cash on a 75 litre fridge, and will eventually make a drop down slide.

As you know with kids, it's going to be a trade between my available time and my available money on this one. If you get going on yours, I'll follow along and see how quickly it goes. (adding a 50%-100% timeline for my fab versus yours) If it goes fast, I might give it a try. If not, I might be that guy that spends $350 on a fridge slide to hold a $350 fridge.:grinpimp:
This may or may not be helpful but maybe will give an idea or two. I built a simple fridge slide 6-7 years ago for my old ARB fridge that was first used in my Tacoma but I also used it in my 80 after selling the Tacoma. It won't work for me now since I've added Goose-Gear drawers and need the drop slide but this was a simple build. I used some 1" sq tube to build a small frame that would hold the Engel Transit-Lok (gray plastic base that would lock the ARB fridge in place). That frame was bolted to the HD slides I had. Since you wouldn't be using an Engel/ARB fridge there's no need for the complexity of attaching a Transit-Lok and you could just fabricate a small tray from some angle iron to hold the fridge and add some kind of provision to strap the fridge to the tray. That would be a $30-$40 project at most and very simple.

Here's the slide in my Tacoma.
_MG_3566 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

_MG_3569 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

_MG_3575 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

_MG_3574 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Same slide in my 80. This was about as high as my wife could handle so now that I have drawers back there a drop slide is the best solution.
IMG_8584 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

This may or may not be helpful but maybe will give an idea or two. I built a simple fridge slide 6-7 years ago for my old ARB fridge that was first used in my Tacoma but I also used it in my 80 after selling the Tacoma. It won't work for me now since I've added Goose-Gear drawers and need the drop slide but this was a simple build. I used some 1" sq tube to build a small frame that would hold the Engel Transit-Lok (gray plastic base that would lock the ARB fridge in place). That frame was bolted to the HD slides I had. Since you wouldn't be using an Engel/ARB fridge there's no need for the complexity of attaching a Transit-Lok and you could just fabricate a small tray from some angle iron to hold the fridge and add some kind of provision to strap the fridge to the tray. That would be a $30-$40 project at most and very simple.

Here's the slide in my Tacoma.
_MG_3566 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

_MG_3569 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

_MG_3575 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

_MG_3574 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Same slide in my 80. This was about as high as my wife could handle so now that I have drawers back there a drop slide is the best solution.
IMG_8584 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

That looks like a nice slide! I'm considering taking the drivers side 3 row seat out and using the mounting bar as a place to mount the slide for my fridge. I think that might force me into a tilt or drop style slide, due to the height. But, it would allow me to move the fridge as far outboard as possible, leaving more space for the family's gear. Did the fridge take leave some open space on the outside for your, placed where it is now?

We had another little trip for my birthday. We went up to Pittsburg NH, then snuck into Canada for a bit. Here's the report:

When we left, there was supposed to be a bit of unique weather for New England. After a hard snow, we were supposed to get rain for 2 days... Friday and Saturday. Leaving Friday morning, that rain turned out to be snow as we crossed through Franconia Notch in the White Mountains.

Yq8lD23h.jpg

Coming down the other side of the pass, it kept changing between rain and snow. After driving 150 miles north, we were in the Great North Woods region of NH. Since our route took us right by Beaver Brook Falls, we made a stop. Shorty and I were the only ones that wanted to get out and explore. So, we headed out to see the falls. He found $4, then I found a $10 bill. I told him that our time was being well spent! Anyway, we got to the falls and almost the entire waterfall was frozen... it was pretty cool. I walked out on the river ice to grab a picture and fell through with one foot! Turns out the ice wasn't as hard as I thought!

V4sh2YFh.jpg

BHU4cgRh.jpg

We headed back to the car and finished our drive, arriving at our rental cabin in late afternoon. The local deer like to winter in the woods behind the cabins here, so we had fun watching them. For whitetail deer, they were pretty stout!

W0RlO56h.jpg

We had dinner then called it a night. The next morning, I woke up around 5am. When I did, I heard Shorty in his room awake. So we hung out by the fireplace (gas but still nice) and had a laid back morning. It was a lot of fun.
VXoWCPUh.jpg

We took the short hike down to the Connecticut river, behind the cabins. The water was flowing pretty fast, for it being winter. It was raining and I wondered if snow melt from the rain was creating the extra flow.
ouGrexTh.jpg

When the rest of the family decided to wake up, we headed out for a Saturday adventure. My goals were to head up the Magalloway road (which is a logging road that has a lot of spurs and unmapped roads that connect to it) to explore. I wanted to hike to the top of Mt. Magalloway and also hike down to Garfield Falls. When we left pavement, I got a little surprize. The entire road was about 4 inches this of glassy ice. It was the same as black ice, except it was a full 4" thick, I tell ya!

g45uH4Hh.jpg

As you can imagine it was well... icy slick. So, I slowed the Cruiser down to 15 miles per hour or so. Even then, if I applied too much throttle or brake, the Cruiser would want to slide off the side of the road or spin.

My solution was to drive slow and take pictures to share with my friends over the internet. Wifey was thrilled.
LZpYPyvh.jpg

Things got hairier as we got into the hills. The first hilly section featured a down hill that ended in a jog in the road, which transitioned to a bridge which was just made of 6x6 planks with no rails or sides of any sort. We began to slide as we descended the hill. I had no control with brakes. I was still in AWD high range and my ABS tried to make the brakes work... but couldn't. I tried using variances in pedal pressure and pumping the brakes on my own... same result. At this point we were traveling about 5 miles an hour at the bottom of the hill. The road jogged left and I decided to hit the throttle a bit. That turned the Cruiser a bit. With a couple more blips of the throttle, I guided us to the left, sliding the entire way. We transitioned to the bridge, still sliding. A couple more blips and we slid over the bridge to the other side. Again, Wifey was thrilled. The road continued on and was somewhat flat. So, we kept going. During this less intense section, Wifey reminded me that she was happy to keep going because this trip was my birthday present. But, if I decided to turn around, well... she wouldn't mind that either. I said "great!" and we continued on our way. Around another bend, we encountered a long, gradual hill. With the last hill still in my memory, I decided to park the Cruiser and walk this one before tackling it. (I know I could have climbed it but it was getting back down that worried me) There was a bend in the road and I walked to that point. Around the bend... more hill.

1E10UR0h.jpg

I stood in the road, thinking about what I wanted to do when I started sliding. I faced down hill, expecting the sliding to stop, or slow. But, I started picking up speed. When I got up to about 5mph, I decided to "ditch" off the side of the road. I stumbled on the deeper snow but didn't fall down. At that point, I realized this whole endeavor was idiotic. There wasn't a person for many miles and, if we rolled, flopped or ended up in a river, we were on our own with a 1 year old and 5 year old. It was time to turn around.

So, that's what we did. On the way back, we took our time and I grabbed some quick pictures of scenery along the way.
0RBPlOoh.jpg

When we reached pavement, we made the decision to just head up to Canada. We had our passports so why not. When we reached the border, I saw a pickup pulled into a parking spot on the left. So, I pulled over there. I took off my boots and put on regular shoes. As I was finishing that operation a border patrol agent opened the door, asking me what the hell I thought I was doing. I told him that we were going to cross into Canada. He informed me that we were supposed to drive on the road through the border and that the Canadian border patrol would check me on the other side... I should look at the pictograms. I thanked him for his time...

Anyway, the Canadian agent was much friendlier. When he asked what we were going to do in Canada, I said grab some lunch and do some sight seeing. He had a skeptical look on his face. I asked if he had a restaurant to recommend. He responded that there wasn't a restaurant in the first town over the border but he thought there was one in the next town. Surprised, I thanked him for his time. The countryside on the Canadian side had a different feel to it than the U.S. side. Even though there weren't many structures, it just seemed different.

sAd2v8hh.jpg

We passed farmed interspersed with woods. The first town didn't have a restaurant. The second town's restaurant had closed. We resorted to Google... which led us astray a few times. But, finally, directed us to Notre-Dame des bois at a small restaraunt. It hosted a few snow plow drivers speaking in French to the single chef/waitress working the restaraunt. After getting their order and putting it on the griddle she approached us. Wifey spoke to her in broken french and I pointed at the menu to order. I got Poutine du Relaise. (apparently that means the house poutine)

t1BtAAzh.jpg

It was a plate of salty amazingness with chicken, bacon, cheese curds and a slaw of some sort.

3ApLqDth.jpg

After eating, we tried to hit the local national park. It was closed due to ice. So we headed back towards the states. Along the way, we found this lookout tower

NPAUlr7h.jpg

Shorty and I climbed it and had a little fun:
J8qXIURh.jpg

From there, we crossed back into the U.S. We explored some side roads and broke trail to a lake.
YtWVLoVh.jpg

We found this cool old house... it wont be around much longer
UFh5zTqh.jpg

We got back to town, grabbed some dinner and called it a day.

The next day, Shorty and I stalked a deer and checked out the river one more time before hitting the road to head home. It was blizzard conditions and we had a lot of fun.

7P5ylemh.jpg

On the way home, we stopped by the falls one more time... it had melted! All that snow melt must have broken everything loose... lots of water.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom