Builds LuckyNB 77 FJ40 - 7 Year Journey (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glovebox door has custom shift plate from mud member @shipmag ... He has several configuration to choose from to include the common swaps owner's do. Mine is stock 4 sp with twin stick. He really does a good job with these.
View attachment 1962318

They're easy to mount. Mark your holes, secure the edges of the plate so they dont lift when drilling, and bolt or rivet them wherever you want.

View attachment 1962321

The hinge I used is something I found at homedepot.

View attachment 1962322
Great build impressive. I wish my cousin would finish my welding and painting. 5 years little progress. Thanks for the plug glad your happy with you shift plate.

Been busy with some other Toyota projects... a few updates on the 40.
Had a custom shift boot made by Stronghold... Jeep Shift Boot | United States | Stronghold Shift Boots
Jason at Stronghold can make any boot you want, if he doesnt already have what you need. He does a great job!
They make custom shift boot bezels also, but I decided to make my own.

boot1.JPG

boot2.JPG

boot3.JPG

I made a custom swing-down spare carrier, so decided to try and make a hi-lift jack mount out of the OEM swing-out spare carrier. Here's how I did it. I cut off the top portion of the mount first.
jack1.JPG

I figured the single lower hinge could handle it. It locks in and is secured using the OEM clamp and rest. Made a base that would hold the base plate of the jack. Cut some more off the carrier and welded it up to be level.

jack2.JPG

jack4.JPG

Locked in. Painted.
jack5.JPG

Swing out
jack6.JPG

Swing down spare carrier. I built this before the jack carrier. I looked at ways to add a jack mount to this, but later decided to do what I did with the OEM carrier to hold the jack.

spare9.png

Parts list:
16' of 1.5" x 1.5" x.125 square tubing

6" of 2.5" wide .25 flat bar
Used as base of upper mount to body and as a backing plate inside of body

18" of 3/4 wide, .125 flat bar
License plate holder

Small Piece of 16 gauge sheet metal
Tacked in the upper triangle to hold 3rd brake light

4 - Grade 12, 2" M10 bolts, hardened washers and, wide flange nuts (McMaster Carr)
Connecting upper mount to body

2 - DOM Sleeve Poly Bushing, 2 5/8 width, 5/8 hole - $17.50 each
Upper mount where hitch pins are
DOM Sleeve & Poly Bushing 2 5/8 Inch Mounting Width 5/8" Bolt Hole

2 - DOM Sleeve Poly Bushing, 2 5/8 width, 9/16 hole - $17.50 each
Lower mount that carrier pivots on
DOM Sleeve & Poly Bushing 2 5/8 Inch Mounting Width 9/16 Inch Bolt Hole

2 - 9/16 x 4.5 Grade Eight Bolt and Nylock Nut $3.00 each
Lower connection
9/16 x 4 Grade Eight Bolt and Nylock Nut

1 - Spare Tire Mounting Plate - $17.00
Spare Tire Mounting Plate

2 - DOUBLE HH 223 The Original Hitch Pin, 5/8 x 4" - $10.40 each (amazon prime)
Upper connection for quick release to swing carrier down

1- Spare Tire Carrier Rubber Bumper - $14 (amazon prime)
Pads the carrier when in the down position
OEM Heep part Fits (87-06 Wrangler YJ & TJ)

4 - 3/8 Thick, 3" Axle Link Tabs (short version) - $5 each
Lower connection tabs welded to tube bumper
3/8 Thick 3 Inch Axle Link Tab

4 - 3/8 Thick Flat Bottom Tab - $1.50 each
Upper connection welded to flatbar and bolted to body
Rusty's Off-road Custom Tab R-108 - P/N: RORTABR-108

1 - 3rd Brake light, 2" LED, rubber mount - $10.50 per pair (amazon prime) I bought a pait so I'd have an extra one on the shelf.
Amazon product ASIN B077T12Q72
3 - Wheel studs
3 - Lug nuts

Getting position and measuring
spare4.JPG

First leg
spare1.jpg

Upper mounting and hitch pin release
spare2.jpg

Upper and lower mount ponts
spare3.jpg

If you dont want to build one, theres a vendor called GenRight Offroad that sells something similar for about $1000.

I looked at going the widening route, but tried something different instead.
Tires 35x12-15 BFG Mud KM2
The wheels are from Summit... 15x8 Wheel Vintiques 12 Series Smoothie Wheels 12-580604
I was able to get oem hubcaps to work by fusing a baby-moon cap that fit the wheel with the oem cap that I modified the underside of in order to attach to the moon cap.

You would be a hero if you posted more details of this process in this thread:

You would be a hero if you posted more details of this process in this thread:

Ha! You wont say that when you see how I did it. Although what I did is working well, I'm not particularly proud of how I pulled it off. I'll post it.

Ha! You wont say that when you see how I did it. Although what I did is working well, I'm not particularly proud of how I pulled it off. I'll post it.
Good, I was planning the same thing.

Ok, here goes.. OEM hub caps fused to baby moon caps that fit aftermarket steel wheels.
I really wanted to run OEM caps, but also wanted to run a larger tire, so needed a non-OEM wheel.
I was prepared to run stock looking steel wheel without caps, but thought I'd give this a shot.

If you are opposed to cold-fusion, stop reading now, otherwise read on.

I got the wheels and hubcaps from Summit

Wheel Vintiques 12 Series Smoothie Wheels
Part # 12-580604 - 15x8, 6 on 5.5 - $80.99 each (I bought 5)

Wheel Vintiques Center Caps 1009 baby Moon for 14-16" Smoothie Steel Wheel - $24.99 each
(I bought 6 thinking I may mess a couple up trying to modify them)

I bought a set of OEM caps from CruiserCorp, I thnk.

I cant find my extra OEM cap, so cant show the entire process, but I think you'll get the gist of it. Instead, I pulled a couple off the 40 so you can see the underside of the cap.

You can see in this shot whats left of OEM cap after I cut out the ring part that snaps to an oem wheel - see the serrated edge left from the snips I used. I left about 3/4 inch around the perimeter of the oem cap. This allows enough clearance for the moon cap to set down in the oem cap and make contact with it.
h1.JPG

Next rough up the outer surface of the moon cap where it will make contact with the inside of the OEM cap. I used 80grit - roughed it up good.
Also drill some holes through the moon cap at the contact area.
h2.JPG

The oem cap is stamped in such a way that there are raised areas on the underside, which are the black indents on top side. This is the main contact area.
Rough up the inside of the OEM cap where the moon makes contact.
Why? Because JB Weld is the miracle substance that will hold the two caps together, and it works a little better when it has something to bite into and flow around.

When doing the rear cap you need something to sit it on in order to get both the OEM and the moon cap level and centered. I used a roll of painters tape.
h5.JPG

Get the OEM cap level first. Check it several spots all around.
h6.JPG

Next make sure you can get the moon cap level. I used a couple small, light weight levels when I actually did this.
h7.JPG

Once you're sure you can get it level, take the baby moon out of the oem cap, mix up a bunch of JB Weld and spread it around the inside of oem cap where it will contact - the raised areas.
Put the moon back in, add some more JB Weld in the holes you drilled - be generous with it. It doesnt need to be pretty, it will not be seen.
With the JB weld still wet and the moon sitting in the oem cap, get it level again, then let it sit for a day.
It will be set up enough to at least move it at that point, but I let mine set for several days. I didnt expect it to work.
After it had sat for several days, might have been a week, I tried to pull the caps apart by hand and I couldnt, so I snapped it on the wheel, pulled it off the wheel - it still stayed together, no give at all. I did it a bunch more times and it held strong.

Since it appeared to work, I did the other 3. They've been on the truck almost a year now. Over the year I've pulled them off many times for various reasons, to include today to take pictures of them for this post. Bumpy blacktop roads, a little offroad, still holding together strong.

Doing the front cap is as little different.. You have to cut a hole in the moon cap. After you cut out the mounting ring from the oem cap, set it on top of the moon cap, level it, then sharpie a line on the moon cap of the hole in the oem cap. When you make your cut, I used a jig saw with fine tooth blade, cut just a hair outside of the line you marked. Rough up the contact surfaces, level it, apply JB Weld, level again, let it sit. Theres more contact surface with the front caps so you can use a little more JB Weld.

Thats it. Before I took the JB Weld route, I considered heat based fusion but didnt think I could do it without messing up the oem cap - either burning off the plating, burning through, warping...

I think they came out pretty good and a bit cheaper than having oem wheels widened or custom built with oem centers. Since I didnt have any oem wheels to start with, it was going to be a little pricey to do the other options.

I also looked at welding tabs on the smoothie wheel. If my current solution doesnt hold up, thats what I'll try next, but so far they are holding real good.

The snips I used were straight cut. Would have been easier with curve cut.
h4.JPG

The front oem cap has a small lip at the hub opening. Cutting the moon cap just outside of your sharpie line will make sure it fits around that and be completely undetectable when on the wheel.
DSC_1489.JPG

DSC_1492.JPG

DSC_1493.JPG

Theres a slight gap between the wheel and the oem cap. If it hit the wheel flush, it would be really hard to remove the fused moon-oem cap from the wheel... nothing to grab on too. With the gap, you can just get a finger back there to pull it off. SAme thing with the rear. But its hard to tell theres a gap just by looking at it.

DSC_1487.JPG

I didnt take a picture of it, but I used the depth gauge on a digital caliper to make sure the moon was centered in the oem cap. Measuring from the outer lip of oem cap to snap ring of moon cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom