77 fj40 started right up after like 10-15 years of sitting. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i changed the oil, bought a battery, and had to unfreeze the primary butterfly. made sure it had spark and then did a gravity fed line to carb. (gotta replace some fuel line first,, when did autozone start charging 10$ a foot for 5/16 fuel line, wtf!??) quite pleased. now i gotta get a few more parts, polish her up, and go for a spin.
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg

You should post a pic of your rig in the pinstripe thread.

Very nice! I've still got to fire my '79 up after sitting for 26 years. I'm hoping for the same results. How was the condition of your gas tank?

Always a good plan to pull the plugs, squirt in a little Marvel's Mystery oil in each cylinder. Leave the plugs out and crank the engine over until it builds oil pressure. I put them to bed the same way.

I’ve got the mystery oil in the cylinders and in the valve cover soaking. Should you change the oil after first turnover or before?

If the oil is "clean" I would start it up and run it for a while, like a 50 mile road trip at all rpm's and loads; then change the oil and filter. Most engine wear occurs at start up - so let it polish everything with the old oil.

If I ever get a new engine I'm going to build a pre-oiler for it and install my toilet paper filter unit in line with the regular one.

Cheapest thing you can do is keep clean/good oil in an engine.

Always a good plan to pull the plugs, squirt in a little Marvel's Mystery oil in each cylinder. Leave the plugs out and crank the engine over until it builds oil pressure. I put them to bed the same way.
i should have done this,,, i remember telling myself to do this and i forgot in the heat of the moment.

From the pics you best top off those brake and clutch masters with the old DOT 3.

yes, that was my plan, my clutch cylinder showed up today, still looking for a reasonably priced master cylinder. can't believe some places want 400$.
Here you go for under $100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom