Looking for a family hauler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice Andy! Would like to hear your impressions after you have some time behind the wheel.

I drove it 2-1/2 hours home and it was wonderful! Not a squeak or rattle, the V8 is amazingly smooth. The interior is ultra plush, loving the heated seats! It has a very "Land Cruiseresque" ride. It is comfy, but still enough of a truck-like ride to suit my tastes.

The V8 is a powerhouse, but it seems to build the majority of its power at higher RPM. It merges on the highway like nothing I have driven for a while!

In all, it reminds me of driving the 80 - visibility is great, feels really solid and safe.

The adjustable ride height baffles me a little. Not sure what the point is...

As for my old LX, planning to put it up for sale. I need to put some brakes on it (a yearly occurrence) and get it inspected first.

If anyone is interested, it does NOT have lockers. It has 220k on it, no rust anywhere that I have found, good tires, peeling clear on the hood, burns some oil, will probably run for another 100k. Not sure what to ask, but it will be a good deal for someone. PM me if interested.

Andy

Last edited:
Nice Find! Great Choice!
Look to get the timing belt done soon if it hasn't been done, 4.7l is interference, and while your in there replace the water pump just for piece of mind.

That year I believe started the 'sealed' transmission meaning no dipstick to check trans fluid, it should be like the FJ Cruiser and 4Runner where you have to get it up to temp and check for the proper 'drip', usually a drain and fill is like 5-6 quarts of World Standard Fluid.

Yeah the adjustable suspension... I think that was suppose to be a convince thing... Keep it lowered when you plan on loading items, normal height for everyday driving, and lifted for when you have to go into a field, I originally thought maybe for towing but it lowers itself into normal height after a certain speed.

Other wise a awesome truck, definitely hit the head with it being 'Land Cruisereque'

They look so cool when they are built, I am sure that's not the plan but still they are sweet lol!

Yeah, I'm not seeing any signs that the timing belt has been done. I feel the need just because of age. How bad of a job is this on the V8?

I'm wheel shopping. These things apparently had a defect from the factory and the paint bubbles and peels badly. Mine needs help. Found a perfect set of 4runner wheels that I'm hoping to snatch up tomorrow night.

Otherwise, no mods for now other than to find a hitch..

Yeah, I'm not seeing any signs that the timing belt has been done. I feel the need just because of age. How bad of a job is this on the V8?

I'm wheel shopping. These things apparently had a defect from the factory and the paint bubbles and peels badly. Mine needs help. Found a perfect set of 4runner wheels that I'm hoping to snatch up tomorrow night.

Otherwise, no mods for now other than to find a hitch..

The 4.7l is referred too at the dealer as the 3D puzzle, its not horrible, just have to remove practically every accessory off the engine to get down the the timing belt.
I have done a few, definitely something we could get done if we have that wrenching day!

IF you decide to get ride of those 17s... I may be interested...

Are you looking OEM or aftermarket for the hitch? I'll do a little research, can't remember if the 4th Gen 4Runners and FJ bolt right up or not.
Ill try to do some part comparisons tonight while I am at work.

Well, I wasn't planning any mods but this looks pretty dang sweet! Stupid internet making me want to spend money.....

IMG_9972_zpst9a8ohud.jpg

Nice find Andy. There is a lot of aftermarket support growing for this platform. I’ve been considering going this route myself. Take a look at what Metaltech has to offer.

Reactions: caz
Yes, I never even gave them a second thought until a few weeks ago but I have come to find out that they are indeed a whole thing! Lots of people modding them.

My dad went down with me to look at it. He fell in love with the truck and I expect he will have one in his garage before the weekend is over! We looked at one last night and are looking at another this weekend. Up till now, he has ALWAYS had American cars. He has pretty much written off every old Toyota I have dragged home until this one.

I have some Old Man Emu stuff that will fit your rig if needed. Rear struts and springs for 3” lift that I pulled off when I switched to extended travel. They only have about 10-15k on them, just let me know. Pretty much anything in the 120 platform will swap.

I have some Old Man Emu stuff that will fit your rig if needed. Rear struts and springs for 3” lift that I pulled off when I switched to extended travel. They only have about 10-15k on them, just let me know. Pretty much anything in the 120 platform will swap.

Thanks. I do want to ditch the rear airbags. Not sure I'm ready for 3" lift though!

Thanks. I do want to ditch the rear airbags. Not sure I'm ready for 3" lift though!
I believe they actually lift the rear 1.5”.
OME 895 rear coils. Medium duty as to handle an aftermarket bumper or an additional 200lbs without sag.

Do you think you'll have any rubbing with the 35s?!

Not I!

Got Techstream working on an old windows laptop. I was able to get in and tweak some things that were bothering me like the behavior of autolock.

I was disappointed at the settings available - was hoping I'd be able to program a new remote, but not looking likely.

Edit:
Just found this link on using Techstream to program a key. Looks like I just didn't know where to go! Off to buy a new key off eBay. I only received one with the truck.

20180106_202158.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom