Locked differential driving experience (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I dont do off-roading and also have not used DIFF LOCK feature much. My 4WD gear setting is also on H as normal, never changed. Toyota changed diff and transfer case oil about 5 years ago. Might do it again this year.

Few weeks back i locked the diff while in parking and started driving. I have noticed some heaviness in driving, is it due to 4WD? also there is some pull back i mean it feels heavy on engine when diff is locked. I mean the first gear response with diff locked was very heavy. Is this normal?

Also, while in this mode i made a U turn and the LC really jerked heavily!!! are we not allowed to perform sharp turns with diff lock in 4WD mode?

Is there an issue with the DIFF? otherwise the LC runs great.

Would appreciate some insights...

Hi All,

I dont do off-roading and also have not used DIFF LOCK feature much. My 4WD gear setting is also on H as normal, never changed. Toyota changed diff and transfer case oil about 5 years ago. Might do it again this year.

Few weeks back i locked the diff while in parking and started driving. I have noticed some heaviness in driving, is it due to 4WD? also there is some pull back i mean it feels heavy on engine when diff is locked. I mean the first gear response with diff locked was very heavy. Is this normal?

Also, while in this mode i made a U turn and the LC really jerked heavily!!! are we not allowed to perform sharp turns with diff lock in 4WD mode?

Is there an issue with the DIFF? otherwise the LC runs great.

Would appreciate some insights...
Surely you jest.

From the owners manual:
SmartSelect_20231013_233054_OneDrive.jpg

TL;DR: don't lock the CDL on hard surfaces.

From the FAQ section in the 80 series forum. All you need to know about diff lockers with pictures. Just insert "100 series" every time you see the words "80 series".

Last edited:
Spend some time reading your owner's manual. In short, you should only be using the differential locks, you don't specify center or rear or the year of your truck, in loose traction situations. Definitely not a parking lot and def. not just to press buttons. Granted, the owner's manual doesn't say when NOT to use the locker, think they're assuming you'll understand this is the recommended situation when TO use it and not otherwise.

Using it like you did on a high traction surface causes a lot of binding in the driveline. Can't think of anyone breaking anything do it, the tires would mostly likely chirp/skid before an axle broke, but still, it's unnecessary stress on the system.

From the owners manual:
View attachment 3455241

TL;DR: don't lock the CDL on hard surfaces.

Daah I thought everyone knows not to lock the diff lock on pavement. Only unlock on lose soil.

Another thing every LC/LX owner should know - is to use the differential from time to time like say every 1-2 month... Again and let's be clear.... ONLY USE IT ON LOSE SOIL.

Last edited:
Yup, as these guys said - not ideal to lock up the differentials when on high traction surfaces like pavement. The rear diff for example (if equipped) allows each rear wheel to rotate at different speeds. When you make a U-turn, the inside wheels do not rotate as fast as the outside wheels because they have less distance to travel. Same with the center diff lock in the transfer case - which locks the front and rear axles together. So if they are locked, and you make a sharp turn, the inside wheel is going to try and rotate the same amount of rotations as the outside wheel (because they are now locked together) and that inside wheel will begin to spin or chirp or hop and even leave tire marks on the ground. If you are in a situation where you pull off the side of the road and two tires are still on the road and the other two are in the snow for example, you will be stuck because the differentials allow the tires to rotate at "different" rates - and the tires with the least amount of resistance will begin to spin. Or if you are off roading and have one or two tires up in the air - you would lock the differentials together to allow power to go to all the wheels. It's a good idea to read your manual and learn from some of the salty fellows here about when to use lockers (differential locks). Some land cruisers only have a center diff lock, some have center and rear and some have front, center, and rear which we call triple locked.

Which diff lock are you talking about?
Front diff lock?
Center diff lock?
Rear diff lock?

Which diff lock are you talking about?
Front diff lock?
Center diff lock?
Rear diff lock?

The bright red button... That has launch written on it. 🤣

The bright red button... That has launch written on it. 🤣
Ah, THAT button who everyome is telling me not to use.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom