Differential replacement question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a shop telling me that I need to replace the front diff on my LX470 100 series. Is there a way for me to tell for sure that is needs replacement? I am going to probably replace most of the front end parts because it has 280K miles on it and most bushings/CV joints are worn out. It has never been off-road and has been babied (at least by my for the past 5 years) but it's time for a refresh...

I asked and they said it was going to grenade on me at some point but were kinda vague

run/drive away and find another shop.

unless there is noise, or metal chunks in the oil, there shouldn't be an issue.

Having literally just grenaded my front diff 3 days ago, I can tell you it's going to take a lot more than just daily driving and mild trail use to blow a diff.

I had visions of @ga12r1 Lee Sumner using a little too much skinny pedal to get through part of a trail that had re-frozen over some fairly deep water overnight after camping for a night. There's no sound like it.

You'll likely need a new steering rack (also replaced recently) way before a new front diff.

I called the local Toyota shop and they indicated that the Upper/Lower Control arm bushings are not available without buying the whole control arm - is this true? Part numbers please??? TIA

I'm with the general consensus, unless they're showing you pinion slop, demonstrating noise or showing metal shavings in the gear oil, I would NOT take them on face value. Plenty of high-mileage 100s with intact front diffs (including mine, with 250K+ and regular trail use).

I asked and they said it was going to grenade on me at some point but were kinda vague
Come on, you don't need to have any experience in the automotive world to know that is a strange comment to make. Your engine might blow sometime too but you don't need to replace it.

In their defense, there have been cases of earlier models . 98-02, having front diff issues. BUT that usually always relates to some off road abuse, bouncing the front end, beating on it ,etc and should not be considered a normal wear item......

Either way. Do not replace your front differential before it breaks without any signs of wear.

Correct on the front control arm bushings, I don't think you can get OEM bushings through the dealer, maybe online from elsewhere...Do yours have slop / wear in them?

Last edited:
I called the local Toyota shop and they indicated that the Upper/Lower Control arm bushings are not available without buying the whole control arm - is this true? Part numbers please??? TIA

What? :-D They want to replace a diff because control arm bushings are bad?!? That's all different parts. You can swap ONLY upper control arm, ONLY lower control arm, ONLY diff...

Just checked for my year/ model:
I can buy lower control arm bushings (and at that point swap the ball joint as well!).
I can buy upper control arm bushings.
I can buy all single bushings of a diff as single piece.

But they might just look into their system and not sites like partsouq where you can order every single bolt and nut...

Really strange what they say... Go to partsouq, type in your vin and go to powertrain/ chassis. Then scroll through the diagrams until you see upper control arm and so on...

What? :-D They want to replace a diff because control arm bushings are bad?!? That's all different parts. You can swap ONLY upper control arm, ONLY lower control arm, ONLY diff...

Just checked for my year/ model:
I can buy lower control arm bushings (and at that point swap the ball joint as well!).
I can buy upper control arm bushings.
I can buy all single bushings of a diff as single piece.

But they might just look into their system and not sites like partsouq where you can order every single bolt and nut...

Really strange what they say... Go to partsouq, type in your vin and go to powertrain/ chassis. Then scroll through the diagrams until you see upper control arm and so on...
Thanks for the help! How long does it take to get stuff for Partsouq? I am going through a local vendor because I need the parts quick to get back on the road. My new mechanic says to just get parts from the Advance Auto he swears by…

Your Toyota parts kept up 280k miles and I bet my money the others don't. not saying they don't keep up 100k, but likely not 280k ;)

You may also just check with @cruiseroutfit for those bushings. (CruiserOutfitters) They are in Utah.

We stock individual and bushing kits for the 100/470 front and/or rear control arms and sway bars. OEM Rubber, aftermarket rubber and several varieties of poly. Oh, and complete OEM, Japanese and aftermarket control arms too. Plenty of solutions @ Cruiser Outfitters :cool:

We stock individual and bushing kits for the 100/470 front and/or rear control arms and sway bars. OEM Rubber, aftermarket rubber and several varieties of poly. Oh, and complete OEM, Japanese and aftermarket control arms too. Plenty of solutions @ Cruiser Outfitters :cool:
Color me unsurprised.

^ da man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom