Lift Dilemma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I know, go with SOA you won't regret it.

I am looking at a lift for the following reason. My shocks look like the originals, the springs are rusted and are worn. The shackels and pins are also rusted. All this contributes to a very crappy ride.

The 33 inch tires give me enough hieght for the kind of 4 wheeling I do (I am not into rock climbing)

So, after a lot of research I picked the Skyjacker lift kit. I was going with the 4" kit, but now I am debating the following thought. The 2.5" kit does not require me to dick with the brake lines (right?). That's less money and aggrevation.

Oh great Land Cruiser Guru's, what sage advise (Besides get an SOA) do you have for my dilemma. I am going to order it this week and put it on over Presidents Day Weekend.

Thanks,

Ken

changing the brakelines is no big deal. And if you don't know how old they are it would be a good idea to change them anyway.

I assume your getting new u-bolts? It's alot easier to cut the old ones off with a torch or grinder. don't forget to change the other spring bushings on the shackle end. while you have it apart you can change out to greasable pins and shackles.

I've said it several times, but I will go ahead and say it again.
Use an impact. If you don't have one, buy one. It makes things go SO MUCH FASTER!
Go ahead and buy at least new greasable shackles, anti-inversion are nice. Greasable spring pins if you can afford those too-the more parts you are replacing, the fewer you have to worry about breaking during dissasembly.
DO NOT forget to order 8 factory-sized spring bushings for the frame side of the shackle.
Spray everything down with PB the days before.
Check your u-bolt plates, if they are bent up, replace, if not re-use. If they are too bent, it will make removal of u-bolts difficult without cutting them, if you cut, be careful, they may be under lots of tension.
Jack up the truck high enough to fit the impact you WILL USE under the ubolts, then add several inches to account for the longer new u-bolts.
Liberally grease everything before assembly, regardless of greasable shackles etc, makes stuff go together easier.
Get the 4" lift, looks/works great with 33's (bumpstop to bumpstop no rubbing). Can fit 35's.
Get the skyjacker rear replacement stainless brake line, ~$40 from 4wheelparts.
Get 2 degree brass caster shims from Napa, and new spring pins, make a 1/2" spacer for the head of the spring pin out of pipe and install in each front spring pack. (allows pin head to reach hole in spring plate on axle with additional width of the shim.
Make sure u-joints are greased well prior to or immediatly after install.
You will need a 22mm deep socket (~4") for the new skyjacker ubolts (they are long)
Don't overtighten shackle bolts. I did and I sheared off my bushings. If you are concerned, put some blue loctite on them.
Good luck!

Hopefully you have a torch...impact wrenches are great, but nothing beats the flame wrench for getting things tore apart. If you are smart, you will not re-use many of the fasteners, especially the u-bolts.

You can do it by hand, but it will take far longer, and hopefully you have some friends that want to get dirty with you, because there are things that go far easier with two people.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks, I just bought a set of air tools and stoped at Pep Boys for the PB Blaster. I also have a torch. If the brakeline is no big deal, I guess I'll go with the 4inch lift. Nothing worse then spending money and wishing you has selected another option. Can't see getting the 4 inch and wishing I got the 2.5" instead, unless of course I fawk up the brakes. Probably will end up doing all the work myself.

I plan on replacing everthing I can thats feasible.

Ken

i have the 4" skyjacker and 33's, i think the 2.5" would be enough, and actually kinda wished i would have gone that route. as far as im conserned 4" is actually a little higher then needed.
what about rubbing/flex? your skyjacker isn't going to flex enough to make a difference.

:flipoff2: the torch and the impact. u just need a grinder and a ratchet set you sissies. :eek:

:rolleyes:

:whoops:sorry i'm just bitter as i don't have any of that stuff. heck i don't even have a roof to work under :cheers:

No worries...

I was laughing at you before this last post...

You're welcome....

go with the 4 inch, i wish i would have, i went skyjacker 2 1/2 last summer and i am happy, just wish i went 4 inch, oh well maybe SOA with the old springs some day.

To do it incrementally:

- Get the 2.5" lift to fit 33", but save your stock springs
- Sometime later, you want 35" tires, do SOA with your saved stock springs, now save 2.5" lift springs.
- Then you want 37"/38" tires, swap in the 2.5" springs.

/td

As all the others said but just dont buy skyjacker; trash springs. They are cheap for a reason.

I'm ready to do the Proffitt's $500 SOA. Anything else would be uncivilized. With 4" lift you might want to measure. Stay wider than taller. You might require 35's. :beer:

Go 4". Basically exact same amount of work. Get new greasable shackles-these were by far the weakest parts I replaced. I dont have an opinion on the skyjacker but do recomend, what I have, BDS.
I did all the work by myself with the usuall tools and only a borowed grinder and torque wrench.

Thanks, I bought the 4 Inch at a really good price. I talked about it in another post. I am planning on getting the gresable shackles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom