Let's build a cool Tachometer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I want to build something cool.

I am in the process of converting my BJ42 from a diesel (Engine is stuck) to a petrol.
To be more specific, the 4-cilinder 3.4L 3B diesel engine is going out and a 4.0L V8 1UZ-FE petrol is going back in.
If you are interested here is my build thread.

I want the car to look like it is still quite original, exterior and interior wise.
I want to keep the original instrument cluster because I like the look and also because the Dakota Digital's are expensive.

I would like to have a tachometer so I had a look online and these things are also expensive!
Then I thought it would be nice to build my own tachometer, recreate the bezel and fit a tachometer behind.

That would be one way to do it but I'd also like oil temp, oil pressure, water pressure, transmission temp, EGT's etc.
So the idea now is to 3D print the bezels and fit a nice and bright LCD screen behind it. The LCD screen would normally project the OEM style tachometer.
If I would touch the screen or a button it could also show the other parameters on the screen.

I could also make the bezel a little bit thicker than original and fit all the electronics inside, that way I would not have to cut an extra hole in the dash.

This is the plan, it won't be a quick project but I thought I would share my thoughts. I would like some input from forum members on features that they would like to see in such a device.

While posting around on this subject I got a lot of questions for Tachometer bezels. I have 3D scanned the original bezel (@wormfood sent me one, thanks fot that!) and now have a nice 3D file.
I've already had a few 3D printed for some guys here in the Netherlands, but if more people are interested I could have another batch made and sell those.

That also goes for the project with the LCD screen. I am not in a hurry but when and if it ever gets finished I could build a couple if there is interest.

A thread without pics is boring, so here are some pictures of the 3D model:
bezel front.PNG

bezel rear.PNG

The original:
Bezel front.jpeg

Bezel Rear.jpeg

MOTOV8R on here was working on something similar as well. Looks like you might beat him to the punch.

I was looking to use an fj60 tach with a customized bezel and tach housing made to fit the fj60 tach internals. I am mostly doing it for my project though and if there was interest I could do more. The scope of YvesNL project is quite a bit larger.

I'm mostly building this for my own project as well, or, I was.

Since there is a lot of interest I'm thinking of building everything modular and using a high quality touchscreen so you can change settings, sensors etc.
I'll design some nice PCB's, probably one for in the bezel and a separate (small) box where you can connect the sensors.

What sensor values would we like to display on the screen?

With a display it would be really cool if it would monitor the other gauges in the original cluster. There was another forum member on here that was making and selling a kit that allowed you to mount auto meter gauges in place of the originals in the stock cluster. More modern gauges might make the project a little simpler.

So, slow progress on this p[roject but I had a few bezels 3D printed. These are quite high quality SLS printed PA12 parts, they look and feel good.
I use this material a lot at work so I had the 3D print shop print a few more.

Here are some pictures of the front:
Bezel 1.jpg

In the pictures below you'll see some white powder on the original bezel, this is from 3D scanning and will just wipe off.
Bezel 2.jpeg

Does anyone know the product number for this metal clip?
Bezel 3.jpeg

The match in all the curvatures is not 100%, the outside edges of the 3d printed version are straight while there is a very slight bend in the original. When you compare them side by side you can tell but I think the match is close enough. I'll sent this bezel back to @wormfood and continue with the project.

If anyone needs a bezel quickly you could always sent me a private message.

For myself I am building one with an LCD panel behind it.
That will be controlled by a STMicroelectronics microcontroller that will have some inputs.

Adapting the opening to fit an autometer tach shouldn't be a problem. What would be an ideal autometer tach?

I'm definitely in for one! Very interested in the digital setup, but also possibly interested in moving over my westach dual boost/egt if it fits!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom