Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That trailer of goodies is going to make the build so much easier. FWIW, you can get a non-airbag pad for the steering wheel and also a 2nd glove box for the passenger side spot.

When you figure the cruise control steering wheel stalk out let me know.

I hate you @c2dfj45 ;)

But seriously, This. Is. Awesome.

Any chance you need a headliner? I have two in decent shape.

I've got a couple of them too. This trucks headliner is kind of crappy....so I bought new one. I'm very picky about headliners. Ha.

That trailer of goodies is going to make the build so much easier. FWIW, you can get a non-airbag pad for the steering wheel and also a 2nd glove box for the passenger side spot.

When you figure the cruise control steering wheel stalk out let me know.

I think a lot about your build and all you went thru to do it when I look at my dash. It's incredible what you did.....not easy at all. I lucked out on the interior from the 76.

I know what I'll be searching for tonight....2nd glove box! I had no idea. I have a grab handle on order....but I didn't realize there was a glove box.

I have something pretty special planned for the steering wheel. I can't wait to get to that phase of things.

Got to sort out the windshield too.....my heart wants a correct blacked out border windshield.....but my wallet likes what you did to yours. I'll get to that once we get to that stage.

I hate you @c2dfj45 ;)

But seriously, This. Is. Awesome.

If things work out right, there will be another project after this that will make you hate me even more :)

Almost forgot about the 1HDT. Found this for sale from a Mud guy.....somewhere far away in that place called Canada. He was parting out a 91(I think) HDJ81....I was able to get the 1HDT, all the ancillary parts, engine/cowl harness, trans, transfer, driveshafts, steering column, cruise control, air cleaner, downpipe, etc. All the stuff that makes projects way easier. I seem to recall it having something like 250km on it. Good maintenance records.

Wasn't planning on a diesel but a 1HDT seems like the right way to go in this truck. Bought my first diesel truck over the summer and really have grown to like it.

The seller was a great guy and did a great job shipping it down.....but somehow it acquired a pretty nice sized hole in the crate. Didn't damage anything thankfully.

Inside that crate was all kinds of goodness....did a quick inventory of things and then stashed them away.

Looks like some kind of industrial piece of equipment...

So much good stuff in this pic....

On their dollies and headed for life under the stairs for a while.....probably should have cleaned them first but we'll have plenty of time for that.

I think this motor in the 79 is going to be one hell of a sweet setup. Can't wait to have factory turbo diesel power.

Not much went on once we started site work on the property next door...just patiently waiting for them to bridge the driveways with 6" of high PSI concrete.....

Getting closer.....

And finally....we're there....what a sight to behold after seeing a fence and dirt for 10 years. The path to Land Cruiser storage.....I mean ..customer storage....is finally open.

I spent a lot of time in the months between getting this truck and parts researching things....this truck would have power windows, locks, some different seating, etc. vs. #1 so I kept busy with tracking down stuff I knew I would need.

Worked on these things too....while somebody I'm sure had good intentions to keep the lights protected, removing very very old baked masking tape was not as fun as it seems.

Before....

And after.....they were like brand new. #1's lights had water in them at some point and need to be taken apart to be cleaned...these things sparkled like jewels. So maybe the masking tape wasn't so bad.

By mid February it was time to have the floors in the new shop done. That meant everything had to come out which was a big job. Far too many trucks crammed in that place, some running, some not. We got them out though and what better time to push this dude 100' into the main building where it would lead a pampered life in the AC being fussed on. Ha.

Welcome to your new home....

Not sure if we will do an intercooler or not on this one. Probably would be something I would consider.

This thing was a dirty mess from it's travels and storage. A good cleaning was necessary as we have an image to keep up.

Can't imagine many LC79s get parked next to brand spankin' new GT3RS's in Miami Blue.

Love the profile of this truck. Don't love the mess of parts in the bed.

Last edited:
Lots and lots of parts....in our clearing out of the new building, we put all the 76 series parts in the truck, along with all the parts that came with it. Trying to keep things together. We've got 4 different LC builds happening(along with the fancy car work we do) so keeping things somewhat together is a must. Helps when you have a pickup bed to store things in. Not much you can fit in a Lambo when it's apart.

Last edited:
Cleaned up and looking MUCH better......enjoying the company of a really nice 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom