LC200 price drop next year (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title suggests. Do you think next year with the introduction of the new “Land Cruiser” Prado to the states that the prices of the LC200 will drop? In the process/looking at 2019 Land Cruiser’s and wonder if I should pull the trigger now or just wait till next year? Saw a couple of 2018’s in Florida with 50-60k miles on them but have seen some 2019’s out of state with 40k miles on them and roughly around the same price around $60k. Curious on other peoples views/takes.

Thank you

I really don’t think the price will come down the way you and a few others may think/wish. The line in the sand has been drawn, and LC enthusiasts know now the Prado is just here in the States to get all the GX/4R fanboys thinking they can finally get into an LC. Prices will stay higher as LC enthusiasts find and fight over those few lower mileage examples out there. Then you have the rare LC’s out there like the HE, blue and green painted ones that will command top dollar alone.

The only reason I would say wait is if you are financing. Used car interest rates are awful now and seem to be getting worse before they get better.

It will come down. For 99% of folks, Land Cruiser is Land Cruiser. LC200 used prices will come down with that and the car market in general prices are sliding anyways.

I think prices will come down organically - not as a result of the LC250 being introduced. Let's face it, the 200 has a limited audience. As a used vehicle, unless off road prowess or 8,000lbs of towing capacity are high on your list of qualifications, you probably are not going to pick a 200. There are a lot of other more appealing SUVs for basic use/travel. When the LC was cancelled in the US, it corresponded to a general reduction in supply of new and used vehicles sending prices to the moon. They wont stay at that level. Having said that, there are a limited supply of 200s and owners are not typically trading them on a regular basis, so prices may soften, but not collapse or drop as fast as general used car prices will - my $.02.

If you want one, buy it. Trying to outsmart the car market rarely pays off.

Last edited:
I think prices will come down organically - not as a result of the LC250 being introduced. Let's face it, the 200 has a limited audience. As a used vehicle, unless off road prowess or 8,000lbs of towing capacity are high on your list of qualifications, you probably are not going to pick a 200. There are a lot of other more appealing SUVs for basic use/travel. When the LC was cancelled in the US, it corresponded to a general reduction in supply of new and used vehicles sending prices to the moon. They wont stay at that level. Having said that, there are a limited supply of 200s and owners are not typically trading them on a regular basis, so prices may soften, but not collapse or drop as fast as general used car prices will - my $.02.
Don't forget the Lexus GX550 which has everything LC250 has plus 8000 lbs tow capacity, 2-3 rows, luxury, and that Lexus pinnache.

LC200 will be forgotten soon enough except for the hardcore LC used car buyers. Between the LC250 at lower end and GX550 at higher end, there is really no reason to buy a "high dollar" LC200/LX570. And after 2-3 years, there will be flooding of USED LC250 and GX550...which again will make LC200 more or less obsolete to the common SUV buyers.

Don't forget the Lexus GX550 which has everything LC250 has plus 8000 lbs tow capacity, 2-3 rows, luxury, and that Lexus pinnache.

LC200 will be forgotten soon enough except for the hardcore LC used car buyers. Between the LC250 at lower end and GX550 at higher end, there is really no reason to buy a "high dollar" LC200/LX570. And after 2-3 years, there will be flooding of USED LC250 and GX550...which again will make LC200 more or less obsolete to the common SUV buyers.
I "liked" this. I don't like it (the sentiment I mean), but it's true. Most LC buyers they would just as easily step into a GX550.

If i was OP, then i would wait. Buying now is not worth it, unless you have the itch and badly want to scratch it...if so, then go for it.

For me personally, i don't plan on selling my LC...gonna keep it as long as i can...it will be a garage queen for most part.

IMHO, after surveying the LX600, the LC200 represents the best old school quality (Toyota at its peak without having to compromise to get to a certain MPG profile), proven durability (newer powertrains and materials "seem" to my eyes have taken a tiny step back), and just creamy ride comfort without fancy doodads. The ride especially is what makes the LC a LC. (Disclaimer...i am riding on stock suspension with Michelin Defender tires.)

But that is the enthusiast in me talking.......99% of buyers don't give a rat's a$$ about what i just said.

By that logic the FJ cruiser would be selling for pennies, but good examples are selling for more than their original sticker 10 years later. There are certainly many newer more capable vehicles that have come along from Toyota and other mfrs. since FJ production ended. The qualities that drive that market are similar to what will drive used LC pricing. Whether its a 40 up to a 200, a smart/patient seller will find a home for his used LC at a good price. If you paid $120,000 for one left on a dealer lot in 2022 you might struggle to get all of your money back unless you are willing to wait, but you likely didn't buy it as an investment at that price.

I'm not arguing that the 550 or the 250 wont be nice, capable SUVs, just that the 200 represents a Toyota's pinnacle off road vehicle at the end of its development cycle and that we have to go to the LX to get the latest/updated version here in the US. IMO the new LX, not the Prado will set the relative mark on used 200s.

By that logic the FJ cruiser would be selling for pennies, but good examples are selling for more than their original sticker 10 years later. There are certainly many newer more capable vehicles that have come along from Toyota and other mfrs. since FJ production ended. The qualities that drive that market are similar to what will drive used LC pricing. Whether its a 40 up to a 200, a smart/patient seller will find a home for his used LC at a good price. If you paid $120,000 for one left on a dealer lot in 2022 you might struggle to get all of your money back unless you are willing to wait, but you likely didn't buy it as an investment at that price.

I'm not arguing that the 550 or the 250 wont be nice, capable SUVs, just that the 200 represents a Toyota's pinnacle off road vehicle at the end of its development cycle and that we have to go to the LX to get the latest/updated version here in the US. IMO the new LX, not the Prado will set the relative mark on used 200s.
FJ Cruiser is unique in styling and has that weirdness to it. It is like a Pontiac Aztec but driven by the coolest guy in high school. :D

LC200 is ... how can i say this nicely ... just bland as sh!t. No one goes out and buy a LC for its unique styling. (For LX570 owners, the predator grill is far from being attractive.)

My mother-in-law mistook my 2019 LC (which has decent styling i thought) for a Sienna!!! Divorce papers were almost served! My coworker mistook my LC for a Highlander. He no longer works for us. (Just kidding...well, he is on thin ice!)

LC200 is boring to look at. Heavy. Bad on gas. 10 years late on technology. Not exactly great at off-roading. Not exactly great on-road. FAKE wood (in LC).

IMO the new LX, not the Prado will set the relative mark on used 200s.
and how many normal folks will know the difference????

I made an argument on LX600 forum.......why would anyone buy LX600 over a GX550? Same platform between LX600 and GX550. Same size. Tow rating the same...8000 lbs. GX has rear locker. In fact, e-KDSS is superior to the AHC that is in the LX600!

In fact, from my viewpoint, GX550 is more LC300 than LX600.

It's hard to judge the future of used car prices based on the last 3-4 years of used car appreciation. Our second car is a 2017 Mini we picked up in March 2021. It's worth more now than we paid for it, despite adding >2 years and ~12k miles. Ditto for our 2013 LC which I'm pretty sure I could get at least what I paid for it if it was unmodified, despite the fact I've added 100k miles. That's not because the 200 is that desirable; it's because the inflation in the used car market was nuts and hasn't really reset

As far as making money on a vehicle (or anything really), you make your $ when you buy, not when you sell. If you paid $120k for an LC you're never recouping that.

It's hard to judge the future of used car prices based on the last 3-4 years of used car appreciation. Our second car is a 2017 Mini we picked up in March 2021. It's worth more now than we paid for it, despite adding >2 years and ~12k miles. Ditto for our 2013 LC which I'm pretty sure I could get at least what I paid for it if it was unmodified, despite the fact I've added 100k miles. That's not because the 200 is that desirable; it's because the inflation in the used car market was nuts and hasn't really reset

As far as making money on a vehicle (or anything really), you make your $ when you buy, not when you sell. If you paid $120k for an LC you're never recouping that.
I don't know...according to KBB, my LC200 trade-in value is dropping by the month. $66k for 2019 white LC200 with 53k miles. Not exactly great resale value. Now i did buy it new in 2019 for $77k (out the door) but MSRP was $85k i think.

I am still waiting for an "indecent" proposal from someone...$120k for my LC...still waiting....

I, and maybe the OP and others, will never cross shop an LC and a Lexus. Used LX’s and the new GX550, while they look fine, don’t t have the same connotation as the LC. So it comes down to finding a good example 200 now, or take the chance of someone willing to let go of their garage queen at a cheap price in a few years. LC 200 owners know what they have, and aren’t going to turn around a let go of them at a normal used car deprecated value.

I also am, and have always been, obsessed with the styling of the 200. I love the curves, and still get compliments weekly when it out and about.

I don't know...according to KBB, my LC200 trade-in value is dropping by the month. $66k for 2019 white LC200 with 53k miles. Not exactly great resale value. Now i did buy it new in 2019 for $77k (out the door) but MSRP was $85k i think.

I am still waiting for an "indecent" proposal from someone...$120k for my LC...still waiting....

I disagree, mine has been stayed at 100K for the last six months, which is still more than I paid for it.

In summer of 2021, I bought my 2013 LC for $65k. According to kbb, my rigs trade value is now ~$55k. That's $10k depreciation in 2 years or roughly the same $20k depreciation in 4 years on yours from msrp. Better depreciation curve than most vehicles and I will speculate will be better than used GX550s. Time will tell.

Last edited:
This is good. Weed out the

In summer of 2021, I bought my 2013 LC for $65k. According to kbb, my rigs trade value is now ~$55k. That's $10k depreciation in 2 years or roughly the same $20k depreciation in 4 years on yours from msrp. Better depreciation curve than most vehicles and I will speculate will be better than used GX550s. Time will tell.
Yeah, better than average PRE-pandemic but that "slower than average" depreciation is probably true of most cars nowadays because used car prices are still a little higher than before pandemic.

But your LC and my LC prove my point......our LCs are NOT appreciation in value that is for sure...exception maybe the HEs. But even then, most HEs were bought at premium "market adjustment" value anyways during pandemic (and as news that Toyota discontinued production).

The 200 series is one of the last, truly great vehicles ever made. As the market introduces more and more disposable garbage, (250 series, most EVs, turbo 4-bangers, etc.) I suspect the die-hards that appreciate quality will drive even higher demand for the great vehicles from the last ~20 years.

Yeah, better than average PRE-pandemic but that "slower than average" depreciation is probably true of most cars nowadays because used car prices are still a little higher than before pandemic.

But your LC and my LC prove my point......our LCs are NOT appreciation in value that is for sure...exception maybe the HEs. But even then, most HEs were bought at premium "market adjustment" value anyways during pandemic (and as news that Toyota discontinued production).
I wouldn't even think of cars as "appreciated" assets. Very few collectable cars models actually appreciate. LC is not one of them.
Regardless of price paid, this car probably wouldn't even bring same price undriven after some years.
And even if it does, storage, tax, insurance, inflation will make it liability not asset.

So quit dreaming, drive and enjoy. Yes, it's not BMW/Mercedes type of depreciation, but it's just a car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom