Builds Last of the BJs: 1989 GEN BJ60 restoration, 15B-T swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Transmission strip-down 4

I read up on how to dismantle an H55F. There are videos on YT, but almost invariably these skip the difficult parts and show you the no-brainer stuff. The best thread I found, by far, was on IH8MUD of course. The author of this thread made his own puller tool and did a really nice job of dismantling the transmission with no press (though I was far less keen on his hammer-and-drift method of reassembly).

20221115_062819.jpg

I got lucky on eBay and managed to pick up cheaply this very nice puller, a Kukko AR210-2, apparently good for an 8 tonne pull and a very high quality German-made tool. My initial plan Is to use it where I can, then make some thinner arms with pawls on to draw out the really tricky bearings. The Kukko has reversible arms with standard, right-angled tips on one end, and curved, sharp claws on the other to grab awkward shapes and grooves.

20220521_112232.jpg

It easily pulls off the output shaft rear bearing...

20220521_113536.jpg
...and the counter fifth gear/syncro ring/spline piece/shift sleeve/shift fork and shaft assembly.

20220521_114001.jpg

Output shaft splines look pretty good, counter fifth needle bearing journal on the countershaft is dark and feels glazed, but does not look to be damaged.

20220521_120521.jpg

For the next steps, I need access to both sides of the transmission, so it's off for a short drive into the living room.

EO

Last edited:
Transmission strip-down 5

20220521_122158.jpg

With the engine stand bracket removed, Off comes the front bearing retainer. Thankfully in good condition, as these are NLA. Note the hand-cut plastic gasket....

20220521_124416.jpg

I flip the legs in the Kukko and put the sharp claws into the outer snap-ring groove of the front countershaft bearing...

20220521_124927.jpg

...and out it comes, easily. For some reason, I find it very satisfying to pull bearings. NOTE: if you are stripping an H55F, take the thrust collar off the countershaft once the front bearing is off, as this allows the countershaft to drop lower in the case, which helps in following steps. I only realised that when it came to the rebuild.

20220526_180651.jpg

The rear countershaft bearing comes off easily by the same method. With the countershaft loose and in the bottom of the case, I easily removed the input shaft and bearing by pulling with one hand while tapping the shaft with a soft hammer with the other hand. HINT: tape up the rear bearing and counter 5th gear journals on the countershaft to avoid damage while it rests on these in the case.

20220521_130542.jpg

Flipping the legs back to right angle grips, 5th gear is pulled off the splines (I actually did the last three steps in a different order but post them here like this for consistency).

EO

Last edited:
Transmission strip-down 6

So far, so good. All bearings and gears have come out with ease. No welding, no hammering, nothing broken. The Kukko seems invincible. But now it is time to tackle the boss of the bearings - the output shaft centre bearing. This guy has big balls and is not coming out without a fight. I put the Kukko on and tightened it up to what I felt was reasonable, but no movement. Damn. OSCB-1, Kukko-0. Time for another attack.

20220605_153339.jpg

With the transmission relocated from my Javanese hardwood living room table to a workbench outside, I give the Kukko another shot in the snap ring groove, which I have now opened up with an angle grinder disc. I torque it more, and hammer with a punch on the inner race of the bearing. And then it goes bang. OSCB-1, Kukko-1.

20220605_160241.jpg

I hate to remove things destructively, I think it's a sloppy way of working, but sometimes it is the only way. And besides, the outer race has already been broken by the Kukko. So out with the die grinder, I grind away the retaining cage on the balls and collapse the bearing. OSCB-1, Kukko-1, Die grinder-1.

20220605_162300.jpg

Out with the output shaft cluster, and countershaft. Very happy to get these out without damage.

20220605_162305.jpg

That leaves just the outer race in the transmission case, which is easily knocked out with a hammer and punch.

20220605_170259.jpg

And the inner race needs taking off the output shaft in order to remove 1st gear. I ground some flats into the race so the Kukko could get a better grip. It's at pretty much full reach here, and even now the inner race is very stiff to remove. But the Kukko prevails, and the hardest part of the strip down is done. OSCB-1, Kukko-1½, Die grinder-1, Hammer/punch-½.

EO

Last edited:
Transmission strip-down 7

The last few steps of the strip-down.

20220526_205840.jpg

The Kukko back at work removing the inout shaft bearing. This bearing has been monkeyed, the front shield is missing...

20221115_212435.jpg
...and the rear side of the bearing has a dented shield with the rubber coating falling off. I really have no idea what kind of botched work led to this. Of course, being a huge NSK bearing, it still ran fine.

20220606_200436.jpg

Reverse idler gear shaft knocked out with a hammer and drift.

20220606_202204.jpg

Revealing one filthy case.

EO

Just a FYI both the front bearing retainer and shift handle are available new. Loving the living room rebuild

« front shield is missing »
I think that’s the way these bearing are after ish late 84. No shield either side before.
Very interesting thread, thanks

Just a FYI both the front bearing retainer and shift handle are available new. Loving the living room rebuild
Sorry Matt, but I have to correct you on both those parts.
-Front bearing retainer on B series boxes is 33131-60050 which is NLA. I think these have a longer snout than the F/H or HZ boxes which I imagine are still available.
-60 series H55F gear lever is 33530-60090 which is NLA. The 60 series H55F gear levers which are still available, 33530-60160, are for cars where the driver sits on the wrong side of the transmission :D

« front shield is missing »
I think that’s the way these bearing are after ish late 84. No shield either side before.
Very interesting thread, thanks
The earlier H55F, indeed before late 84 I believe, had a 90 mm input shaft bearing with no shields. My 1989 H55F is a later type (with 'wings' on the front bearing retainer and a 38 mm idler shaft) which has a fully shielded 92 mm bearing. So one shield missing is definitely down to some questionable mechanic work along the way I think.

Interested in your signature line... what's your 'BJ'62?

Last edited:
Ah, you’re RHD!
What is the snout length and diamter in the 3B retainer? Maybe the F version (which is available) can simply be cut down.

Ah, you’re RHD!
What is the snout length and diamter in the 3B retainer? Maybe the F version (which is available) can simply be cut down.
The BJ input shaft retainer is about 132 mm tall (gasket surface to tip of the snout) and the last 60 mm are machined, to a 35 mm diameter. The BJ input shaft is very long (I guess because the back of the engine did not need to be so far back in the vehicle as on a 6-cylinder) so I would be very surprised if the FJs had a bigger retainer.

Sorry Matt, but I have to correct you on both those parts.
-Front bearing retainer on B series boxes is 33131-60050 which is NLA. I think these have a longer snout than the F/H or HZ boxes which I imagine are still available.
-60 series H55F gear lever is 33530-60090 which is NLA. The 60 series H55F gear levers which are still available, 33530-60160, are for cars where the driver sits on the wrong side of the transmission :D

The earlier H55F, indeed before late 84 I believe, had a 90 mm input shaft bearing with no shields. My 1989 H55F is a later type (with 'wings' on the front bearing retainer and a 38 mm idler shaft) which has a fully shielded 92 mm bearing. So one shield missing is definitely down to some questionable mechanic work along the way I think.

Interested in your signature line... what's your 'BJ'62?
Well it’s a mix of two truck. Previous owner imported an 90fj62 (US) and took all the power train from his late 84bj60 (CAN) and swap it in the 62 (12 year ago)
Hence I call it a « b »j62…
Please don’t change your thread title :)

The BJ input shaft retainer is about 132 mm tall (gasket surface to tip of the snout) and the last 60 mm are machined, to a 35 mm diameter. The BJ input shaft is very long (I guess because the back of the engine did not need to be so far back in the vehicle as on a 6-cylinder) so I would be very surprised if the FJs had a bigger retainer.

Yeah, F retainer is only 90mm long. :(

Well it’s a mix of two truck. Previous owner imported an 90fj62 (US) and took all the power train from his late 84bj60 (CAN) and swap it in the 62 (12 year ago)
Hence I call it a « b »j62…
Please don’t change your thread title :)
Got you. I guess he switched the whole engine and transmission and ditched the slushbox?

Did the BJ60 in Canada come with the H41 or H42? Was the H55F offered? If I understand correctly, they were all low-spec vehicles aimed at the mining sector. Did you also get the FJ60/FJ62 (with the 3FE) as in the US?

I love that they offered the old 3B in Canada. It must sound like a busy blacksmith's shop when you start it on a cold winter morning!

Mine will always be a BJ60... but given that inline diesel injection pump -> rotary pump change in 1982 in Japan made it go from BJ60 -> BJ61, as I said in an earlier post, had the 1988 '3Bii' BJ6* been offered in Japan, it's a good candidate for the BJ62. But I guess yours is as close to a BJ62 as it is possible to get :)

EO

Got you. I guess he switched the whole engine and transmission and ditched the slushbox?

Did the BJ60 in Canada come with the H41 or H42? Was the H55F offered? If I understand correctly, they were all low-spec vehicles aimed at the mining sector. Did you also get the FJ60/FJ62 (with the 3FE) as in the US?

I love that they offered the old 3B in Canada. It must sound like a busy blacksmith's shop when you start it on a cold winter morning!

Mine will always be a BJ60... but given that inline diesel injection pump -> rotary pump change in 1982 in Japan made it go from BJ60 -> BJ61, as I said in an earlier post, had the 1988 '3Bii' BJ6* been offered in Japan, it's a good candidate for the BJ62. But I guess yours is as close to a BJ62 as it is possible to get :)

EO
Yeah the shop which did the conversion change engine, transmission (h55f) and even both axle! Which I retrofitted the 4.11 gearing.
I'll try to answer the question about Canadian market but other people far more knowledgeable could chime. I think the BJ60 got the h42 in 80-82, for sure the 1983-1985 got the h55f. 1985 was the last year for the BJ60, it became HJ60 in 86 to 87. The 60 offered here were not the lower spec, they were G, not too sure what it mean in term of luxury ahah. Not sure if the FJ60 was offered but I'm pretty sure some FJ62 were sold in Canada (don't know which engine). Mine was a US model and came with the 3FE.

I don't think any 60 went in the mining industries here. Never heard of it. As far as I know only the 70 series pick up version was (still) use in mines, never saw any troopy. A BJ70 was use in Quebec doh. I was skeptical until I went in the scrapyard to retrieve the frame...which was a BJ75 shortened frame ;( The body was just rust! was not a regular VIN with JT1..BJ75... just BJ75 and some other number. So I think the Land Cruiser for the mines come with a different VIN.

It's start to be cold now with some snow, 3B definitely sounds like a tractor in the morning! I do not use them in the winter (Jan-April) because we use salt on the road which would eat those old truck fast. (trying to remove the rust from the BJ75 so no salt for me...)

All 3B came with the inline injection pump. they were sold for public from 80-84 (BJ42) 80-85 (BJ60) 85-87 (BJ70). I don't know about mines industries, they must have stop the 3B in 1988 ish?
here is the 3B for the 75, was definitely more challenge that I expected (sourcing parts and specialized shop for liners and head repair).. still not finish!

3b75.jpeg

Yeah the shop which did the conversion change engine, transmission (h55f) and even both axle! Which I retrofitted the 4.11 gearing.
I'll try to answer the question about Canadian market but other people far more knowledgeable could chime. I think the BJ60 got the h42 in 80-82, for sure the 1983-1985 got the h55f. 1985 was the last year for the BJ60, it became HJ60 in 86 to 87. The 60 offered here were not the lower spec, they were G, not too sure what it mean in term of luxury ahah. Not sure if the FJ60 was offered but I'm pretty sure some FJ62 were sold in Canada (don't know which engine). Mine was a US model and came with the 3FE.

I don't think any 60 went in the mining industries here. Never heard of it. As far as I know only the 70 series pick up version was (still) use in mines, never saw any troopy. A BJ70 was use in Quebec doh. I was skeptical until I went in the scrapyard to retrieve the frame...which was a BJ75 shortened frame ;( The body was just rust! was not a regular VIN with JT1..BJ75... just BJ75 and some other number. So I think the Land Cruiser for the mines come with a different VIN.

It's start to be cold now with some snow, 3B definitely sounds like a tractor in the morning! I do not use them in the winter (Jan-April) because we use salt on the road which would eat those old truck fast. (trying to remove the rust from the BJ75 so no salt for me...)

All 3B came with the inline injection pump. they were sold for public from 80-84 (BJ42) 80-85 (BJ60) 85-87 (BJ70). I don't know about mines industries, they must have stop the 3B in 1988 ish?
here is the 3B for the 75, was definitely more challenge that I expected (sourcing parts and specialized shop for liners and head repair).. still not finish!

Thanks for the info, it makes sense that the 60 was not a mine vehicle. Seems like Canada got a much wider range of vehicles in than the US, though the line-up changed frequently. That made me look into the Toyota database and see that the FJ60 was sold for just over a year with build dates from 08/80 to 09/81. A V-spec BJ60 was sold with similar build dates, and a G-spec (I have no idea what the differences in spec are) with build dates from 10/81 to 09/82. All were 4 speeds. From 10/82 to 09/85 the G-spec BJ60 came with an H55F. From 10/85 to 08/87 there were two G-spec HJ60s, one with the H55F and the other a 4-speed auto (man, that must have been slow up anything like a hill). Then from 08/87 to 12/89 they only offered the FJ62 in G-spec with the 3FE. Weird that they only offered a choice between petrol and diesel for one year! All these are 'theoretical' dates from the vehicle database but it matches your comment exactly.

About chassis/VIN numbers, I think the shorter number in the BJ75 you found might indicate it was bought from something like Toyota Global (general market vehicles), rather than through the Canadian dealers. I guess different countries required new vehicles to have VINs as opposed to simple chassis serial numbers at different times. My 1989, general market(Malaysia/Brunei delivered) BJ60 has a chassis number BJ60-022***. My 1993, UK delivered Hilux has a VIN JT131LNA409027*** but my 1996 Japan delivered Hilux Surf still had a sinple chassis number, RZN185-0008***.

Yes, coming from Western Europe, I absolutely hate road salt. I noticed in Russia that winter driving works without road salt, everyone uses studded tyres and quickly learns how to drive on the ice. But the roads get trashed.

Nice looking engine, I see a power steering drive pulley but no pump. Is that a thick spacer on the exhaust ports to fit a turbo? Or do the old 3B heads look like that? I can imagine that the old stlye B engine parts are getting prety hard to find, 34 years after the engine updates.

Cheers!

EO

Last edited:

The Canadian market HJ60s came with the same A440 auto as the FJ62s.

Toyota definitely sold the 3FE FJ62 in Canada. I've owned two of them and see them pop up on Kijiji on the regular. But they're still rare compared to the diesels.

We also got the SWB BJ70s starting in 85 I think.

My 1981 BJ60 had the 4 speed manual transmission. I haven't seen any evidence of "G" spec on it, the front fenders have the vents typically found on US FJ60's where the G usually is.

Thanks for the info, it makes sense that the 60 was not a mine vehicle. Seems like Canada got a much wider range of vehicles in than the US, though the line-up changed frequently. That made me look into the Toyota database and see that the FJ60 was sold for just over a year with build dates from 08/80 to 09/81. A V-spec BJ60 was sold with similar build dates, and a G-spec (I have no idea what the differences in spec are) with build dates from 10/81 to 09/82. All were 4 speeds. From 10/82 to 09/85 the G-spec BJ60 came with an H55F. From 10/85 to 08/87 there were two G-spec HJ60s, one with the H55F and the other a 4-speed auto (man, that must have been slow up anything like a hill). Then from 08/87 to 12/89 they only offered the FJ62 in G-spec with the 3FE. Weird that they only offered a choice between petrol and diesel for one year! All these are 'theoretical' dates from the vehicle database but it matches your comment exactly.

About chassis/VIN numbers, I think the shorter number in the BJ75 you found might indicate it was bought from the Global Market, rather than through the Canadian dealers. I guess different countries required new vehicles to have VINs as opposed to simple chassis serial numbers at different times. My 1989, general market(Malaysia/Brunei delivered) BJ60 has a chassis number BJ60-022***. My 1993, UK delivered Hilux has a VIN JT131LNA409027*** but my 1996 Japan delivered Hilux Surf still had a sinple chassis number, RZN185-0008***.

Yes, coming from Western Europe, I absolutely hate road salt. I notied in Russia that winter driving works without road salt, everyone uses studded tyres and quickly learns how to drive on the ice. But the roads get trashed.

Nice looking engine, I see a power steering drive pulley but no pump. Is that a thick spacer on the exhaust ports to fit a turbo? Or do the old 3B heads look like that? I can imagine that the old stlye B engine parts are getting prety hard to find, 34 years after the engine updates.

Cheers!

EO
Very interesting.
It does have a steering pump…somewhere in the garage hum? Yes I plan on doing a homemade exhaust manifold for a turbo, like many did here before.
Justin

Transmission inspection 1 - gears

Replacing all bearings and individual syncro rings has always been on the agenda, but I hope to re-use the gears.

These are the (earlier measured) thrust clearances, taken with feeler gauges.

1st gear
Should be: 0.175 - 0.325 mm
Limit: 0.35 mm
Measurement: 0.20 mm

2nd gear
Should be: 0.175 - 0.325 mm
Limit: 0.35 mm
Measurement:
0.35 mm

3rd gear
Should be: 0.125 - 0.275 mm
Limit: 0.3 mm
Measurement:
0.35 mm

Counter 5th gear
Should be: 0.10 - 0.30 mm
Limit: 0.30 mm
Measurement:
0.20 mm

The 2nd and 3rd gear thrust clearance is measured against the 3rd gear bushing, so as a minimum, that bushing is going to be replaced. But...

20221123_213416.jpg

...I had noticed before disassembly that the third gear dog teeth were not looking good, but up close they are pretty bad, not just rounded with wear, but broken away, with a complete loss of profile. Given this and the excessive thrust clearance, I will replace 3rd gear, which is the cheapest of all the gears. What about 2nd...

20221123_213726.jpg

Before disassembly, I found it hard to get a good look at the 2nd gear dog teeth as they are only visible in the middle of the reverse gear/1st/2nd syncro ring assembly. Now, up close, they have a bit of wear too. So probably best to replace 2nd gear, given also that the thrust clearance is right on the limit.

20221123_213810.jpg

Some good news! The first gear dog teeth still look nicely sharp and intact. But wait, what is that mark on the bearing surface...?

20221123_213828.jpg

Corrosion, of course. Looks like there must have been a tiny bit of water in the bearing. So I need a new 1st gear too.

Finally, the reverse gear/1st/2nd syncro sub-assembly, let's have a close look:

20221123_213139.jpg

Teeth rounded off on the 2nd gear side... added to the shopping list.

At least the shafts look OK...

EO

Last edited:
Transmission inspection 2 - shafts

The 3rd/4th gear shift hub had some slop on the output shaft splines, obviously a sign of advanced wear. But the splines look and feel OK.

20221123_214447.jpg

No significant wear visible on the splines, nothing I could catch with my nail. But I somehow doubt that all the wear would be in the splines of the shift hub.

20221123_214440.jpg

One of the weak points of the H55F is wear on the output shaft splines where the transfer input gear sits. Given that my transmission probably has more than half a million kilometres on, and has been poorly maintained, it's surprising how little wear there is on these splines. They are not perfect, but probably re-useable.

20221123_214552.jpg

The worst part of the output shaft is the first gear needle roller bearing journal. Both 1st and 2nd gear journals are very smooth and glazed (which I assume is caused by excessive heat from poor lubrication?). But theat same water which sat in the 1st gear needle roller bearing and corroded the inner race of the gear, has also caused pitting in this shaft.

I think I could get away with running this shaft, but I really want this transmission to be perfect. After a lot of deliberation, I have decided to replace the output shaft.

On to the countershaft...

20221123_214706.jpg

A common failure point on the H55F (and H41/2 perhaps?) is the rear countershaft bearing journal (where the bearing rollers ride directly on the shaft). On this countershaft, the surface is again glazed, there is no wear ridge but there is a small triangular chip out of the surface hardening. Strangely, the chip is not exactky where the rollers ride on the shaft, so once again I imagine sloppy mechanic work with poor tools. I'm no expert, but I would imagine that this bearing journal does not have a long and happy life ahead of it.

20221123_214734.jpg

Also, not surprisingly, there is wear on the load flanks of the front gear of the countershaft (what do we call this gear? counter input gear? countershaft input gear? counter 4th gear??). It's hard to see in this picture, but the wear is pronounced.

So the countershaft will also be replaced.

EO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom