Does anyone have any experience of the 8-valve 15B-T? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Surely anyone selling a half-cut can supply engine numbers and those numbers would be enough for diagrams and part numbers?
As it was only sold to the military, there are no publicly available diagrams or part numbers. The part number for the head gasket is 11115-58120 (from a video I was send of an old head gasket) but it's no longer made.

Plus I don't know of any database where engine numbers can be linked back to vehicles. I would be interested if you do know of such a database.

Update... So far we asked some companies with no luck. Apparently, the problem is that the Bore is too big and not many people can cut the cylinder holes the appropriate size and the metal/heat rings cannot be found this big.
There is some folks here in Costa Rica that can make this gasket which apparently are composite gaskets, but they do not seal the cylinders properly from what we believe, this gasket only lasted 3 races. The part # seems to be 11115-58120 which is out of production.
I am not sure what will my friend do now... Either go 14BT or 15B-FT maybe, a shame an engine like this got this abandoned...

Update... So far we asked some companies with no luck. Apparently, the problem is that the Bore is too big and not many people can cut the cylinder holes the appropriate size and the metal/heat rings cannot be found this big.
There is some folks here in Costa Rica that can make this gasket which apparently are composite gaskets, but they do not seal the cylinders properly from what we believe, this gasket only lasted 3 races. The part # seems to be 11115-58120 which is out of production.
I am not sure what will my friend do now... Either go 14BT or 15B-FT maybe, a shame an engine like this got this abandoned...
Sorry to hear of these problems. Indeed, I think composite gaskets are no good on a turbo diesel - from what I read, the 13B-T used to blow head gaskets before Toyota updated them to MLS.

Chaiyut Khemglad, mentioned above is quite well known on the 15B scene but I cannot access his FB page (maybe my location, maybe he blocked some people from the 15B Fb group?). The number posted on the FB page as per myusername's screenshots is a mobile number but no WhatsApp. It might be worth trying to contact him if you access his FB page. Unfortunately he is calling a 15B-FT a '15BT' so some explanation will be required!

Another alternative is a copper gasket which I understand is used in drag racing (so maybe not designed for longevity? I will look into these.

What about re-drilling the coolant holes on a 15B-F/15B-FT gasket? Or is the head bolt pattern different? For sure, the cylinder bore spacing is the same, as the 14B and 15B can use the same crankshaft.

I am also preparing for the 14B-T downgrade eventuality - I just bought a set of genuine 14B-T pistons...

Sorry to hear of these problems. Indeed, I think composite gaskets are no good on a turbo diesel - from what I read, the 13B-T used to blow head gaskets before Toyota updated them to MLS.

Chaiyut Khemglad, mentioned above is quite well known on the 15B scene but I cannot access his FB page (maybe my location, maybe he blocked some people from the 15B Fb group?). The number posted on the FB page as per myusername's screenshots is a mobile number but no WhatsApp. It might be worth trying to contact him if you access his FB page. Unfortunately he is calling a 15B-FT a '15BT' so some explanation will be required!

Another alternative is a copper gasket which I understand is used in drag racing (so maybe not designed for longevity? I will look into these.

What about re-drilling the coolant holes on a 15B-F/15B-FT gasket? Or is the head bolt pattern different? For sure, the cylinder bore spacing is the same, as the 14B and 15B can use the same crankshaft.

I am also preparing for the 14B-T downgrade eventuality - I just bought a set of genuine 14B-T pistons...

Copper gasket with a stainless steel oring groove machined into the block

Did you get a thickness measurement from your friend for the gasket?

I have tried reaching out to Chaiyut about a few things but the language barrier seems to be an obstacle i have not been able to get past. I would personally want clarity as to what I'd be purchasing and the vagueness or misinterpretation has been a bit overwhelming.

Did you get a thickness measurement from your friend for the gasket?
It's 1.6mm thick. This means the material of the gasket is originally the same as the 14BT.

The decision for now is to use the old one for now until they find a more permanent solution... We got another friend which is departing to Japan soon to import some engines, we will have him check locally to see if somehow we are lucky.

It's 1.6mm thick. This means the material of the gasket is originally the same as the 14BT.

The decision for now is to use the old one for now until they find a more permanent solution... We got another friend which is departing to Japan soon to import some engines, we will have him check locally to see if somehow we are lucky.
Thanks for that information. Indeed, without skimming the piston tops the 15B-FT gasket will be too thin. I'm interested to know how it goes to re-use the original MLS gasket. What was the original reason requiring the cylinder head to be removed? The head gasket looks fine.

Perhaps this company would be worth reaching out to. They seem to supply that part number and others.. another gasket as you scroll down the page called Toyota (BU) also worth a look.

Thanks, I found this Taiwanese place a couple of months ago when I bought the 15B-T but should go ahead and inquire, as they can clearly make 108 mm bore gaskets. The listed BU gasket looks to be for a 3B/13B application (105 mm bore).

Last edited:
what about toyota 1-w head gasket? it's a 4.1L not sure what the bore is

never mind the 1w is probability 104mm too. the 15bfte gasket looks the same or close to me. if the thickness needs to be different sometimes you can drill out the rivets that hold the layers together and add or subtract layers, may need machine work to the block to get it just right.
hino ho6c has a 108mm bore, maybe you could just cut 2 cyls off?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom