LANDTANK - SUPERCHARGER (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also, for anyone who may not know, the superchargers that came from the factory were made by both Magnusson and Kazuma. I have heard that the Kazuma superchargers are preferred to the Magnusson due to the quality tending to be better from Kazuma.

All the superchargers you are referring are actually Eaton superchargers. Magnusson designed the entire system, manufactured the castings for the plenums, obtained tensioner pulleys, relief valves from other manufactures to form a kit all based upon Toyota's TRD USA specifications. They never came from the factory but were sold by exclusively TRD with their brand name of "Kazuma". They were first sold through Toyota Parts Department and other retailers in 2000. Installation was available through Toyota dealer service departments with a full one year warrantee, other specialty shops or self installed by vehicle owners with a typical 90 day warrantee. After a few years Toyota dropped the program. Several years ago Magnusson negotiated out the exclusive deal with Toyota and built and sold a small number of units branded with their name as a one time offering. They were basically all the same with the exception of the Eaton supercharges were based on their latest designs. Basically no differences between them other than a Magnusson units be newer and possible fewer miles.

Eaton M90. two different variations. They will not directly interchange. Mounting and throttle body adapter differences.

Eaton M90. two different variations. They will not directly interchange. Mounting and throttle body adapter differences.
I’ve tested the throttle body fitment between the two and they do fit. Earlier version has 4 bolts holding throttle body adapter on and newer only 2. However, two of them line up perfectly and center the adapter over intake. Bypass ports line up too.
I have duplicated the adapter for anyone who needs one made.

The plenum between the compressor and the block are not interchangeable between early and late model of S/C as case length is different.
Initial “Kazuma” version is a short bodied compressor and the later version is longer.
Later model has a squared corner at the front of the plenum.

LCH says the supercharger is "refurbished" which I also assumed was rebuilt. Not the case at all, and honestly am not even sure what they do that makes it considered "refurbished". I only know one guy to go ahead and make the purchase from LCH and it came in such poor condition that the guys mechanic refused to touch it. It then got sent to Jon Bond for a legit rebuild running almost $1k. Also, for anyone who may not know, the superchargers that came from the factory were made by both Magnusson and Kazuma. I have heard that the Kazuma superchargers are preferred to the Magnusson due to the quality tending to be better from Kazuma.
Not even sure why we are talking about this lol. I have always know it to be an available option, but am patiently waiting for the 🐐 to make something new and improved
I got word recently that LCH has started to rebuild the superchargers they are selling for the 80 Series which contradicts my previous statement

I’m not sure how a volume purchase might influence this, but the intercooler and heat exchanger alone cost me more than $2000.00.

While this kit will address all areas of boosting our trucks it will likely break the banks of some potential customers.
Hey Rick!

Just checking in with you. Have you had any new findings with your IC/TRD SC setup? Still very interested in your IC/Heat exchanger setup!

The truck is not running at the moment because the TRD crank pulley was sent to my fabricator for measuring.

The TRD pulley is 7” in diameter while mine will be 8”.

I was hoping to have the rest of the parts by now but it’s taking longer.

The truck is not running at the moment because the TRD crank pulley was sent to my fabricator for measuring.

The TRD pulley is 7” in diameter while mine will be 8”.

I was hoping to have the rest of the parts by now but it’s taking longer.
I have all of this drafted up and could easily make a change for the 8” and push to production. Let me know if you are interested.

Anyone run the basic 5psi HD Auto kit from Aus?

time for an update.

I got the remaining parts in with the hopes of actually having it running. however a couple of things need to be altered so it might happen end of Jan. 2024.

However I did get the charging head assembled and have pics of that to show everyone.

For those new to reading this, my design is such that you assemble the charging head on the bench and then slid it onto the engine block on studs like a rail system and then secure it with nuts.

Getting everything to packaged in the allowable area was quite the challenge but I'm happy with the results
IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0191.JPG
IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG

another small update. I designed an intake pipe so as not to need an inter-cooler. This will allow me to configure 2 offerings.

The inter-cooler will likely add 3500.00 to the cost and not be for everyone.

So I'll start with building out a kit that will be of lower boost and no Inter-cooler, similar to the TRD unit. The Whipple compressors are more efficient and generate less heat so there will be a performance increase.

Also I've designed into the system some adjust-ability as far as when boost comes on and by how much.

The TRD bypass setup has a butterfly valve with a 3lb spring holding it naturally closed. The sensing line is connected to the throttle adapter, at idle you have full vacuum holding the valve open and as vacuum decreases the valve eventually closes when that 3lb spring finally wins out over the amount of vacuum. This setup ensures a delay in building boost.

I'm using a Tial QRJ valve and the sensing line will be connected post compressor which means it will transition from a vacuum state to boost sooner. The QRJ also has an assortment of springs all the way up to 12lbs. By using a heavier spring I can further tune the timing of when boost comes in. And with the sensing line post compressor, and boost made with only increase the force of holding the QRJ valve closed.

Once I've dialed in the QRJ valve I'll be tuning the airflow. For this I'm going to size the pulley to deliver the max power timed to the transmission shift points at full throttle. One of the aspects of our ECUs is that at a certain point in air flow the ECU retards timing and richens the fuel as a protection. When this happens power and fuel economy starts to suffer. Ideally when the truck is at full throttle we want the transmission to shift seconds prior to triggering the ECU protection so that we land as high in the power band as we can on the next gear without suffering any power loss before hand. Shifting either earlier or later will negatively inpack performance and overall drivability. And if somebody was inclined to manually shift the truck and over rev the enging the ECU protection routine is still in place.

hopefully I'll have some videos soon

Looks great! Been watching this thread for a while now. Hoping to pick up a non-I/C kit assuming the price isn't too far into the stratosphere.

another small update. I designed an intake pipe so as not to need an inter-cooler. This will allow me to configure 2 offerings.

The inter-cooler will likely add 3500.00 to the cost and not be for everyone.

So I'll start with building out a kit that will be of lower boost and no Inter-cooler, similar to the TRD unit. The Whipple compressors are more efficient and generate less heat so there will be a performance increase.

Also I've designed into the system some adjust-ability as far as when boost comes on and by how much.

The TRD bypass setup has a butterfly valve with a 3lb spring holding it naturally closed. The sensing line is connected to the throttle adapter, at idle you have full vacuum holding the valve open and as vacuum decreases the valve eventually closes when that 3lb spring finally wins out over the amount of vacuum. This setup ensures a delay in building boost.

I'm using a Tial QRJ valve and the sensing line will be connected post compressor which means it will transition from a vacuum state to boost sooner. The QRJ also has an assortment of springs all the way up to 12lbs. By using a heavier spring I can further tune the timing of when boost comes in. And with the sensing line post compressor, and boost made with only increase the force of holding the QRJ valve closed.

Once I've dialed in the QRJ valve I'll be tuning the airflow. For this I'm going to size the pulley to deliver the max power timed to the transmission shift points at full throttle. One of the aspects of our ECUs is that at a certain point in air flow the ECU retards timing and richens the fuel as a protection. When this happens power and fuel economy starts to suffer. Ideally when the truck is at full throttle we want the transmission to shift seconds prior to triggering the ECU protection so that we land as high in the power band as we can on the next gear without suffering any power loss before hand. Shifting either earlier or later will negatively inpack performance and overall drivability. And if somebody was inclined to manually shift the truck and over rev the enging the ECU protection routine is still in place.

hopefully I'll have some videos soon
Nice work! Already popped my NOS blower on. Any updates for your IC options for the TRD blowers? What do you anticipate your blowers to be at hp/tq wise over the TRD ones?

Back from MOAB and got some testing done and wanted to share some stuff.

First, I know this is taking some time but I'm engineering a lot of stuff and doing so simultaneously so while it looks like I'm jumping around it's all intended to dovetail together in the end.

Today's update is the intake pipe. What comes with a TRD system is nothing short of an abomination of an intake pipe. Where the extension from the intake manifold meets the discharge casting it's misaligned and has a 90* hard turn. If your intent is to create a restriction and add unwanted turbulence then this is the way to do it.

What I designed is a 2 piece pipe that provides smooth flow and allows easy access to servicing the top side of the motor such as spark plugs.

In addition I added a IAT2 feature so the spark control circuit sees the actual intake temperature of the engine post compressor verses calculating the spark control off of the cooler IAT reading in the MAF sensor. Using the MAF reading could create a detonation situation and probably has, just not bad enough to audibly detect but still effect power and fuel mileage.

Disclaimer: I've read repeatably that the IAT sensor is used by the ECM to calculate the lbs/min the engine is consuming. I agree with that with the exception of the MAF sensor. I see the MAF sensor as a stand alone sensor and my testing to date shows that it calculates lbs/min within itself and Toyota wiring the ECM to the MAF's IAT is more of a convenience for the spark circuit than a necessity for fuel injection. I'll continue to test and datalog as the heat of summer approaches.

In the attached pictures you can see the two section pipe, the IAT sensor (which is a denso part from an offshore car with a factory IAT2 sensor) and the intercooler placed on the pipe where it will semelessly install in place of the pipe if that feature is added.

intake pipe 1.jpg
intake pipe 2.jpg
IMG_0308[1].JPG
IMG_0307[1].JPG

Is that a
Back from MOAB and got some testing done and wanted to share some stuff.

First, I know this is taking some time but I'm engineering a lot of stuff and doing so simultaneously so while it looks like I'm jumping around it's all intended to dovetail together in the end.

Today's update is the intake pipe. What comes with a TRD system is nothing short of an abomination of an intake pipe. Where the extension from the intake manifold meets the discharge casting it's misaligned and has a 90* hard turn. If your intent is to create a restriction and add unwanted turbulence then this is the way to do it.

What I designed is a 2 piece pipe that provides smooth flow and allows easy access to servicing the top side of the motor such as spark plugs.

In addition I added a IAT2 feature so the spark control circuit sees the actual intake temperature of the engine post compressor verses calculating the spark control off of the cooler IAT reading in the MAF sensor. Using the MAF reading could create a detonation situation and probably has, just not bad enough to audibly detect but still effect power and fuel mileage.

Disclaimer: I've read repeatably that the IAT sensor is used by the ECM to calculate the lbs/min the engine is consuming. I agree with that with the exception of the MAF sensor. I see the MAF sensor as a stand alone sensor and my testing to date shows that it calculates lbs/min within itself and Toyota wiring the ECM to the MAF's IAT is more of a convenience for the spark circuit than a necessity for fuel injection. I'll continue to test and datalog as the heat of summer approaches.

In the attached pictures you can see the two section pipe, the IAT sensor (which is a denso part from an offshore car with a factory IAT2 sensor) and the intercooler placed on the pipe where it will semelessly install in place of the pipe if that feature is added.

View attachment 3614825View attachment 3614826View attachment 3614830View attachment 3614831
Is that a bell intercooler?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom