Landcruiser Lessons (Learned the hard way) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lesson #1

When you take out that giant oil pan drain plug the oil comes out really fast. There is 8 quarts of oil in that engine. A tiny little drain pan will not hold all the oil. The oil will go all over the place and onto the floor/driveway/street. And yes, I am speaking from experience. An experience I had just about 30 minutes ago.

You speak the truth.

(so I've heard...)

:doh:

yeah it almost overflowed my catch pan cause the drain to the pans chamber wasnt big enough.

A friend was nice enough to dump a whole lot of motor flush into my 55's 2F right before I bought it...got under and pulled the plug...9 quarts of black kerosene...came out so fast half of it actually BOUNCED OUT of my pan. Cleaned it up and went back to the Cruiser... and that's when I found out about upside-down oil filters!

Last edited:
i'll add to that. don't get distracted by the phone and forget to put the oil pan drain plug back in before refilling the motor:D not me, but a good friend

I used a catch pan that funnels to a hole in the middle on my first F-engine oil change ... more splashed out on the driveway than went down the hole :doh: Live and learn right?

:cheers:

Tucker
hmm did you pop open the little tab (yellow in color) air hole open:D

Learned another one tonight...

All the key jiggling, pounding and cursing, won't get the rear window of your 55 down...if you never put the battery back in the night before!

Its amazing just how many tools you can leave under the bonnet and still be there after a trip into town and back!

Its amazing just how many tools you can leave under the bonnet and still be there after a trip into town and back!

wish that was the case for me...drove off with an original toyota wood handle srewdriver ...never to be seen again...worst part it was a good friends screwdriver...needless to say i still feel bad

I felt pretty bad too when a friend left MY ratchet on his radiator...cracked his fan blade and blew the guts of my ratchet all over the driveway. (I felt a lot better after Sears gave me a new ratchet, and his fan blade was still broken)

Aparently, a big blue pig, parked on top of a boulder in the middle of nowhere, is a huge "Come F*%# With Me" sign to Johny Law and his quad riding, hippy volunteer crew...
O.K., so maybe it was a little bigger than your average boulder (and a poor choice of parking places), BUT HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW IT WAS SOME KIND OF NATIONAL MONUMENT!!??

at least mr. vacation joykill was kind enough to let me snap a few photos while he ran my plates and wrote me a nice LITTLE ticket...

Our club was camping near a trailhead. Camp was set up and we were done driving for the day. We just finished dinner and I had just opened my first beer.

A nice officer came off the trails and needed some air for his tires before he hit the highway. I reached in my 76 FJ40 and started it up and flipped on the air compressor. We aired his tires up and he was happy.

He thanks us but before he left he gave me a ticket for operating my vehicle with an open container. I reminded him that I never got in the vehicle, I just reached in and started it. It did not matter to him since the vehicle was running and I started it and I had control of it.

That cost me $250.00.

Ouch!

Our club was camping near a trailhead. Camp was set up and we were done driving for the day. We just finished dinner and I had just opened my first beer.

A nice officer came off the trails and needed some air for his tires before he hit the highway. I reached in my 76 FJ40 and started it up and flipped on the air compressor. We aired his tires up and he was happy.

He thanks us but before he left he gave me a ticket for operating my vehicle with an open container. I reminded him that I never got in the vehicle, I just reached in and started it. It did not matter to him since the vehicle was running and I started it and I had control of it.

That cost me $250.00.

Ouch!

What a prick!

Did you take your air back? LOL!

My friends and I were wheeling on public lands, gabbing on the CB's as we came across a series of stream crossings... on the other side of the last crossing was a National Forest Service Bronco with antennas on each corner monitoring the trail traffic. One of my buddy's promptly stated over the CB that there was a ranger ahead and to hide your __________(contraband:) ):eek: :eek: :eek: we rolled past the Bronco without incident but sweating each second:beer: lucky I guess:D

What a prick!

Yep, thats what I thought.

I thanked him for doing his job and making sure the trails were safe for all of us to enjoy. I told him that we have all ran into a few people who had a few to many beers on the trail. He felt so bad that I was still being nice to him that he wished he never gave me the ticket.

I did not go against my driving record at all.

CRZYJKE...I was shooting B&W film in my old 35mm, so I'll have to get some prints scanned...they will come...just might take a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom