LANDCRUISER 80 SERIES 1FZ FE VALVE SEAL REPLACEMENT IN THE TRUCK INCLUDES # 6 CYLINDER! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I changed the valve seals in my 80 series 1FZ FE in the truck including cylinder 6 without pulling the engine or head.

We have made a video on youtube showing the process of changing the seals.

I hope this helps

If you guys do not mind please give me a thumps up on youtube and if you subscribe that would be great

Last edited:
Great video, thanks.
A list detailing the procedure might help others understand the process.

Nice video - thank you for sharing. That heater valve above #6 is looking pretty crusty, so you may want to change that soon.

Thank you mdawg

I will look into changing it or deleting it since we do not use the heater much around here.

Thank you Kernal

1- The battery was disconnected
2- I took out the air box
3- I removed the throttle body and heater valve
4- Removed the plug wires and the valve cover
5- removed the cam shafts and the valve shims

A very helpful video was

DO NOT TAKE OUT THE HEAD BOLTS

6- Use a compression tester as shown in the video to hold the valve in place.

a- Screw the tester instead of the spark plug
b- Use about 40 psi
c- Then and only then take out the valve keepers.

7- Replace the valve seals

For installation a helpful video was

8- Reinstall all components in the revers order

@Doso : video doesn't work on this web site (but does on you tubbe).

Last edited:
:popcorn:

good stuff

Peter: Got any tips you can share about this job, tools, air source, etc, etc?

Peter: Got any tips you can share about this job, tools, air source, etc, etc?
Nothing special really.

Use the tool described in the video, I’ve got mine off Amazon.
I would have a compressor with large tank, i have a medium sized one from harbor freight. There was quite a lot of leak down during it.
My crank didn’t try spinning over or anything like that, but I did have a socket on the fly wheel, at the inspection cover just in case.

Don’t force on the seals, the seal will not “go all the way down”, there’s going to be a gap between the lip and the block. Taking off old seals was a PITA, I’ve used high quality small locking pliers, with enough twisting and pulling they would come off.

When pushing the spring down, if you hear air escaping, it means the spring cup isn’t free from the valve, gently tap all your valves with hammer before hand.

Definitely take the hood off and replace all vacuum tubing and do other “while in there jobs”.

Overall it was a huge pain in the ass, but worth not burning any oil anymore. I’ve also “upgraded” my injectors to 12 hole injectors, I’d advise against that as it “feels” like my fuel economy went down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom