Knuckle Rebuild Time Expectation? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Fzjrvakma said "while I'm doing my '76 knuckle rebuild"

Which vehicle are you working on?

Hey all, I was trying to determine if there was anything to be done in terms of general maintenance/upkeep given I've dismantled so much of the front axle. Don't want to turn around in six months and take this all apart again.
I replace all cone washers, every time I pull them out. They're springs, and springs get tired.

I replaced the flexible brake hoses, because there's lots of room to get at the rusted brake fittings, with everything out of the way.

Tie rod and relay rod ends, as well as the steering damper. The damper has to come off when the rod ends are replaced, so you might as well replace it then. I also replaced my (OEM) shocks, but having said all that, this is the first time since I bought the truck I've done the knuckle service. The seals were still in great shape.

The reason I tore it down was that I had a wobbly steering wheel when applying brake pedal, and I couldn't find the root cause. Turns out, the preload nut backed itself off the bearing (it unwound the star washer and would have made it to the pavement, if it wasn't for the drive flange). I've always done all my own wheel maintenance, including brakes, and that's the first time it's happened in all the years I've owned and driven 80s. I asked a service advisor at the Lexus dealership here, who was a Toyota master mechanic for 23 years before he gave it up, if he'd ever seen this when he was in the shop. He said it was fairly common, in the 90s, when the 80 series was in service rotation.

Any of you guys see a problem with me doing one side at a time? I've got a tight garage and I'll have to back the truck out and reposition in order to pull each CV.

Any of you guys see a problem with me doing one side at a time? I've got a tight garage and I'll have to back the truck out and reposition in order to pull each CV.

Just make sure you actually have enough room to pull the long side axle before you strip the knuckle.
I've done this is apartment block garaging and had to set up with the truck nosed out of the garage to be able to pull the axle.

I always saw them more as a wedge than a spring.
Does the spring properties play any part in clamping force?

I guess it helps pop them loose on removal
I tend to think that the spring rate affects the clamp force; the nut can only get it in until it's flush, after that, as you said, it's wedging itself in the hole. Since it's conical, the only way to keep it in place is to create a torsion spring.

Probably doesn't do much in the final analysis, since it's the dowels pins that carry the load - the driveshaft shouldn't be moving out into the drive flange - but without a drive flange, you're not driving, so I like the belt and suspenders model.

If the weather is decent you can also do them on the driveway. When I did mine I considered doing them in the garage but it would have been too narrow to pull the axles and I didn't want to reposition everything halfway through. It's also nice to have fresh air away from the smell of the brake cleaner :)

I also highly recommend going to a car wash beforehand and cleaning that area up before taking everything apart. In hindsight that was the thing I wish I did most.

1697821718731.png

I think a really nice thing to have for this job is a wheeled stool of some sort. It really saves some wear on the knees and back. I have and like this one:
Amazon product ASIN B0B831SMJ3
The little compartments on the side are nice for holding tools. It works really well. I got it for $75 off Amazon marketplace (it was a returned item in new condition).

I think a really nice thing to have for this job is a wheeled stool of some sort. It really saves some wear on the knees and back. I have and like this one:
Amazon product ASIN B0B831SMJ3
The little compartments on the side are nice for holding tools. It works really well. I got it for $75 off Amazon marketplace (it was a returned item in new condition).
This. Doing this job aggravated some old injuries, a stool would have prevented that.

Definitely clean off the knuckles, backside of the dust shields, and axle housings before starting the job.

Watch this video starting at ~ 30:10, you'll see a clump of muddy grass sitting on the axle with dirt falling down as he knocks the trunnion races out.

FWIW

Last edited:
FWIW, I sprayed the front axle area liberally with degreaser for days, before I pressure washed mine, and it was very clean when I started my job(s). I had to do extra cleaning, that a yearly knuckle service would not require, because, as I said, this is the first time it's been done (in at least a decade), I was replacing one hub and spindle set, and I repainted everything. New parts do not have paint on them (except shocks and rod ends). Old parts have crap on them. Neither suit my OCD.

I have a buffer with a wire wheel on one side and several red Scotchbrite pads on the other. Both sides need to be replaced now. But the parts are clean :)

I second the rolling stool. I never realized how much I needed it until I got it. Disregard if you have a lift; then you need a rolling table/toolbox.

On second thought, you need a rolling table/toolbox.

FWIW, I sprayed the front axle area liberally with degreaser for days, before I pressure washed mine, and it was very clean when I started my job(s). I had to do extra cleaning, that a yearly knuckle service would not require, because, as I said, this is the first time it's been done (in at least a decade), I was replacing one hub and spindle set, and I repainted everything. New parts do not have paint on them (except shocks and rod ends). Old parts have crap on them. Neither suit my OCD.

I have a buffer with a wire wheel on one side and several red Scotchbrite pads on the other. Both sides need to be replaced now. But the parts are clean :)

I second the rolling stool. I never realized how much I needed it until I got it. Disregard if you have a lift; then you need a rolling table/toolbox.

On second thought, you need a rolling table/toolbox.
Let's see this rolling table/toolbox, Malleus. There are several options out there, what works for you? I've thought about one myself, and I got one of those gray utility Rubbermaid carts for the purpose. Now it's piled high with other junk, though. Of course...

I have a Craftsman rolling cabinet, that is waiting for a top box; I have it, it just hasn't been restored yet. I try to find old Craftsman boxes people haven't cared for and repair them. My sons have two of the larger 80's vintage top boxes I restored for them; unfortunately, I don't have any photos. I'll ask them to take some and post them. I had to settle for the later, cheaper models for mine; they were they got the only older ones I could find.

Funny you mention your cart is piled high; like every other horizontal surface I have, it's covered as soon as it's cleaned off. It's helping with a transmission rebuild at the moment.

More to the point of this thread, I'm in the second week of my knuckle service. It includes new tie and relay rod ends, shocks, body mount bushings, and front bumper replacement. It's taking a while because I'm refinishing all the parts, so I'm not the measure of how long this job should take. Painted parts just take their own time to be ready to use...

I have a Craftsman rolling cabinet, that is waiting for a top box; I have it, it just hasn't been restored yet. I try to find old Craftsman boxes people haven't cared for and repair them. My sons have two of the larger 80's vintage top boxes I restored for them; unfortunately, I don't have any photos. I'll ask them to take some and post them. I had to settle for the later, cheaper models for mine; they were they got the only older ones I could find.

Funny you mention your cart is piled high; like every other horizontal surface I have, it's covered as soon as it's cleaned off. It's helping with a transmission rebuild at the moment.

More to the point of this thread, I'm in the second week of my knuckle service. It includes new tie and relay rod ends, shocks, body mount bushings, and front bumper replacement. It's taking a while because I'm refinishing all the parts, so I'm not the measure of how long this job should take. Painted parts just take their own time to be ready to use...
I like those old Craftsman tool boxes and rolling tool carts/tables, too. There are a pretty good number of them on my Craigslist in SoCal. I think the days of people who can and like to repair things have reached their zenith. Thanks for your contributions to this board, too, Malleus.

I'm glad to help where I can. I wish there were toolboxes around here; I think people must throw them away. Or, maybe they're buried with them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom