Khamis Mushait FJ45, aka Ms Troopy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got the ambulance door "Control Assembly" put back together this morning. We tried staking it but after a couple of strikes both ways with a cold chisel we decided to just spot weld it on both sides with a TIG. Staking would have probably eventually worked but you need to have this assembly very tight or the stop built into the plate can slip by the raised screw part of the assembly. Very happy with the result.

F53DC41D-24BE-4B95-BB55-2504EFEB349B.jpeg

Got it all back together this morning before it got too hot. Only took a few minutes. Not much to see in this pic. Handle needs a split pin but it doesn't seem to want to fall off. I have some 2.5 and 3.0 mm on the way. Yes I know those are the wrong screws; OEM screws and washers on the way.

Does anything hold this escutcheon plate in place or does it just wiggle around as it pleases (black thingy under handle)? There's nothing obvious on the parts diagram.

9E93402D-FB74-4847-801E-8416963BEA30.jpeg

Changed the air filter today; normally not noteworthy but thought I would show this part that was covering the air filter. It doesn't show up on the parts diagrams so maybe it's aftermarket? Not sure. It covers about half the filter and I assume, with the bottom vanes, is supposed to channel air downward and perhaps keep at least half the filter cleaner? Old filter was very dirty and I didn't notice any stratification of contaminants. I put it back in on the theory that it can't hurt anything.

E9A83B61-E36A-4231-80BD-C068D3C05B33.jpeg

1E0169D9-88D8-4E26-827C-5B3FF5FD15B1.jpeg

7E187A0B-CADB-4D6E-BA1E-CEF99639156E.jpeg

Stumbled upon the plastic cyclone part looking for something else. Toyota part number 17775-68010. Looks like it was used on FJ60s of the same era in GCC countries and in 4X and diesel 60s in Australia (maybe a few other applications) where the same air filter assembly was used. Toyota labels it a Wing, Cyclone.

A Jordanian colleague just dropped this off. He brought it back from Amman. Has to be the last NOS muffler and tailpipe for a 1980+ FJ45 available anywhere. Part number 17430-61061. I’m just a little stoked.

9456D684-355D-422B-B9B1-CF655464BFB2.jpeg

C0913277-3F12-4160-AC51-43BC99F86EE7.jpeg

Last edited:
So where does one look for a NOS passenger side wing window frame? Yemen of course. Tab on mine was broken and held together with wire. Probably repairable but if you can get a new one; why not?

456FDB55-A5B8-44A5-ABD4-8EF8E41D083C.jpeg

Tackled the cooling system today. Took me 2 tries and 4 weeks to get a name brand coolant over here. Finally managed to get some Prestone red for "asian cars". Good enough. Checked for a thermostat and of course it didn't have one. I think they pull those at the dealership. :hmm: Not only did it not have a thermostat but it didn't even have a gasket. Wasn't leaking though. I had bought a new thermostat (which I didn't install) and gasket (which I did install).

Couldn't get the drain open as it doesn't quite line up with the opening in the radiator support. No worries, bottom hose slipped off easily enough. Totally chocolate milk when I pulled the hose. Surprisingly I could tell there was at least some ethylene glycol in the mixture that came out. I flushed the whole system about 5 times until the water started running clear. I then ran some German brand of cleaner through about 30 minutes of driving and flushed that out a few times before filling with the Prestone.

I have a new radiator and hoses waiting in the US. My radiator actually looks pretty good but for something like $250, why not?

It's often not obvious here where to actually go buy something. I went to several tire stores and nobody could source these Super Swallow tires for me. Finally looked up the importer online and they actually had a store on their website. 30 SAR ($8 US) for delivery to my door....sign me up. New rim came direct from Toyota here (also about $8 for delivery). Went to a local tire shop yesterday and for 80 SAR ($21) they supplied an intertube (Korean; not Chinese), tube protector, and they mounted the tire. Kind of a shame to put it underneath but on the other hand it needed something in that void in front of the bumper.

CD94F279-2563-4802-994B-0567973ED8F7.jpeg

6143F322-68EF-4934-ACED-E8EA5870B15B.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a match. Found someone making replacement covers so I asked for a sample. I think it’s the same fabric. Definitely the same pattern. Seats are faded so have to keep that in mind.

DCD31DBE-F37A-441F-9C8A-37A4A7CF7816.jpeg

Great looking these Super Swallow Tyres!
Do they come from Indonesia? Wish we could get them in Europe...

But what I really find great in your stories, is your dedication mate, to come through and get the right/original parts, as long as they are still available there (looking even in the war-torn Yemen)!
PS. Tried the same-with less success- last year, during my service in the Middle East...

Last edited:
Great looking these Super Swallow Tyres!
Do they come from Indonesia? Wish we could get them in Europe...

But what I really find great in your stories, is your dedication mate, to come through and get the right/original parts, as long as they are still available there (looking even in the war-torn Yemen)!
PS. Tried the same-with less success- last year, during my service in the Middle East...
Thanks. Yes those Super Swallow tires are from Indonesia. Probably not the greatest tires but they look the part. I was surprised to see a DOT code on them.

On our way to Greece for 2 weeks this morning….coincidentally.

Great news mate!
You have PM!
Sincere apologies to @Greek Cruiserhead as we were nearby but on a tight schedule and couldn't meet up in Athens. Had some more parts delivered while we were cruising the islands and picked them up from the post office this morning. Combination of 45 and 55 parts. Can't believe I was able to get a NOS AC compressor, clutch and dryer for a 1983 Troopy. Unfortunately I'm still missing the mounting brackets but hopefully can source those used eventually. My AC was disconnected and the Compressor was just sitting on the motor mount when I took delivery.

1FC2844F-387C-47A3-82D4-896A476AB9BF.jpeg

What a nice surprise these FJ45 NOS parts, enjoy and keep up informing our community! 👍

PS. I understand that you were on tight schedule mate, hopefully there will be another chance to meet up in Greece or in the Kingdom, inshallah!

Last edited:
@Honger Joel, thanks to you and the photos you posted in this thread I realized that I'm not missing an A/C bracket. I just wasn't looking close enough. :cheers:

All the lights work on this Troopy except the turn signals. Even the hazards work. So today I decided to replace the turn signal stalk with a new one. I would have done that anyway even if they worked; nothing like new parts, especially those you have to touch all the time. Unfortunately that didn't fix the problem. Guess I'll have to pull out the Fluke.

Replaced the steering column clam shell as well and tried to wash everything up as best I could. Lots of dust in old vehicles over here.

View attachment 2733582

I got a little excited when I found this cut wire on the old stalk harness. Was positive that was the problem. Guess not.
I was poking around the fuses a few weeks back and noticed that they fell apart (end came off) when I took them out. Tried several places in Riyadh to get the old Bussmann style fuses and couldn't find them. Obviously they are here somewhere but I gave up and got one of my colleagues to bring some back from the US.

Unbolted the fuse holder assembly this morning and cleaned everything good with contact cleaner front and back. Replaced all the fuses and to my great joy my turn signals work! In fact all the lights work now except for the driver's side brake light. The running light part works but not the brake. Played around with the bulb a bit but gave up. Just happy to have the Turn Signals!

Took it for a drive. Didn't go too far as I'm still waiting on seatbelts. I had a set custom made from Seatbelt Planet but the retractors were too big to bolt into the space and those are the smallest retractors they have. Everything else worked so I have a center lap belt and two female ends waiting on shoulder harnesses. They made a set of non-retractable (manual adjustment) shoulder harnesses for me. Just need to get them from the US.

It does drive very well. Tons of low end torque and the brakes don't pull too bad (drums all around). Steering is a little loose for my taste so I will probably replace the tie-rod ends and maybe have the steering box rebuilt in due course.

Bit of a mystery I haven't been able to solve. Clearly from the photo there was something mounted to these three tabs at one time. I'm assuming that something plugged into the connector shown in the photo. It looks like the right place for the Emissions Control Computer but the Saudi spec FJ4x models didn't come with any emissions controls.

I have looked at 3 FJ40s, two 1981 models and a 1982 and they don't have any mounting tabs in this location. I guess I need to find a 1983 or 1984 model and see if there is something there.

Any information appreciated. Thanks.

C435B2BB-FF0D-4999-9C76-FF72705CC2A4.jpeg

My guess, based on the connector would be speaker. I’d look at the wires and try to find the colour code in a wiring diagram.

43773935-BA7F-44DA-81FB-AE3A7F30C5E3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom