Keeping my FJ40 & Starting 3FE RestoMod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GeoW5

SILVER Star
Threads
Wife & I decided to keep FJ40 and are doing the restomod using the 3FE engine, 5 speed transmission, and 60 series axles with disc brakes! I just got back from a trip from NC to VT to Cruiser Parts to get my stuff; see pics.

I also picked up a small AL gantry crane to roll in and out of my garage.

What easily obtainable engine works for a fully assembled 6 cylinder?

How do you guys assemble the drive train? I need to mock up the drive train to the frame to ensure all the mounts work and move the cross member aft. I heard that you have to put the engine on the ground and slide transmission and transfer case together?

Any tips or hard lessons learned on the 3FE will be appreciated.

George
769985C9-2CC1-4B4A-A0B2-FB72C4406BDB.jpeg
247A9F37-C07D-4EAF-913C-D13EACDF367F.jpeg
49416BDF-673E-4AF1-B3EC-35AFA16EF6C0.jpeg
AC6E3FCF-A153-46D1-858E-3508BB5C5C3F.jpeg
7D56BFA1-D667-4AF8-8002-31AB9A545CDC.jpeg
9FD31C8F-8095-420D-94C4-0FEE51710CDD.jpeg
15A957CB-6C58-4429-BA9A-40F3D3CAE6B8.jpeg

Step 1, put axles under vehicle, step 2, bolt bellhousing to engine, step 3 assemble clutch and flywheel, step 4 install transmission, in vehicle or on floor or in air, somewhere in there you set motor in chassis. Then clearance for the 5spd shift tower. 3fe's are wiring nightmares but not impossible. Planning to reuse 40 engine mounts? Or try and retain 62 mounts? There is a width difference. I think I assembled it all then stabbed the whole drivetrain. Swapped to the h55f later in the frame before I set the cab on for the last time. Good luck, nice pile of parts, good start

Step 1, put axles under vehicle, step 2, bolt bellhousing to engine, step 3 assemble clutch and flywheel, step 4 install transmission, in vehicle or on floor or in air, somewhere in there you set motor in chassis. Then clearance for the 5spd shift tower. 3fe's are wiring nightmares but not impossible. Planning to reuse 40 engine mounts? Or try and retain 62 mounts? There is a width difference. I think I assembled it all then stabbed the whole drivetrain. Swapped to the h55f later in the frame before I set the cab on for the last time. Good luck, nice pile of parts, good start
That’sa good sequence of steps. Thank You.

can you zoom in on this section? Looks like you might need a bit of frame repair for safety depending on what style of steering you plan on going with.

photo_LI.jpg

Might want to reach out to @OTRAMM about the 3FE swap I believe he did one for a customer a few years ago and might of done the hard work for you so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Curious your plans for a hand brake? Frame looks to be a E-72 based on the torque tube behind the where the transfer case sits. I was able to get an H42 into my 68 FJ40 without cutting the torque tube or the tub.

The biggest pain when I did mine was the wiring, it will test your patience. The second biggest pain is the exhaust. The problem I have with my 3FE is alot of the parts are very hard to get. I figured by modernizing my 73 to an engine almost 20 years newer would make it easier to get parts, wrong. When you have it in and you turn the key and it starts instantly everytime it is worth the effort. Cruises at highway speeds effortlessly and it's a cruiser motor not some off brand thing.

can you zoom in on this section? Looks like you might need a bit of frame repair for safety depending on what style of steering you plan on going with.

View attachment 3062233
Thank You for noticing that. That is where the Saginaw gear box was placed. It seems they compensated by using the plate to connect the bumper to the lower radiator cross member. They also used a 3/16” winch plate/Trey that bolts all of that together.

I am considering boxing in that missing section by using 1/4” plate steel to go under the steering gear box if it doesn’t hit the pitman arm.

634C164B-3EC1-495D-97AD-B0E77D8DA7DC.jpeg

3CAF1DD6-FC12-4042-A1E9-E769FD1FF09D.jpeg

D8CD761D-F71F-4AAA-B2DE-0357D691052D.jpeg

64BA1AA9-D73C-49D7-B244-1E4FDFDB1A59.jpeg

1126D8B6-C24C-49E1-86F8-6F243FBF04D0.jpeg

6EC9218B-524A-4B80-8C03-439F8499C85E.jpeg

1A1ADDE2-D2C4-4435-A9D2-75DBD0662719.jpeg

02A4A6E3-65AE-4561-AC25-686ED5897630.jpeg

7D4A4EF5-579F-4DAF-BB28-A3B663074AD7.jpeg

84FD747D-7190-4E35-B581-3E045F7B7648.jpeg

I would start the search for a new front frame cross-member now. That looks like an angry beaver attacked it and took out all structural integrity. Saginaw can be invasive if done incorrectly. Can also be wonderful if done correctly. If you decide to go back with Saginaw, there are many options that are less invasive than what someone did to the front of that frame.

I’d get a carb 3f manifold and use a Holly sniper

That won't work on a 3FE head.

What rear axle is that? looks like OEM locker, disc, full float? 70 series?

I would start the search for a new front frame cross-member now. That looks like an angry beaver attacked it and took out all structural integrity. Saginaw can be invasive if done incorrectly. Can also be wonderful if done correctly. If you decide to go back with Saginaw, there are many options that are less invasive than what someone did to the front of that frame.
Do you have any pics of a better way to mount the Saginaw steering box?

That won't work on a 3FE head.

What rear axle is that? looks like OEM locker, disc, full float? 70 series?
Those are 60 series axles and the rear has an electric locker I had installed. I got them for the disc brakes.

one of the best ones out there for a saginaw mount (in my opinion)
different version
a different version
and the cheap cast version, i am not a fan and have seen them break off the frame at times that are very inconvenient. many people have great luck with them

Plenty of saginaw conversions documented here in this forum if you use the search button at the top right hand corner of the page.

Other types of power steering conversions are fully documented. FJ60/80 style

Minitruck power steering option

Plenty of options out there to meet the end goals of your vehicle. Time, money, fab skill are the only things that will change on the different versions.

one of the best ones out there for a saginaw mount (in my opinion)
different version
a different version
and the cheap cast version, i am not a fan and have seen them break off the frame at times that are very inconvenient. many people have great luck with them

Plenty of saginaw conversions documented here in this forum if you use the search button at the top right hand corner of the page.

Other types of power steering conversions are fully documented. FJ60/80 style

Minitruck power steering option

Plenty of options out there to meet the end goals of your vehicle. Time, money, fab skill are the only things that will change on the different versions.
I really like that first one you sent me from 4 x 4 labs.

I did the same swap a few years ago FJ62 Axels, 3FE, H55 and split case, FJ 60 power steering. It is a great combo. nothing is too difficult. Just time and patience. I did move my rear crossmember back a bit to aid in clearance. (4+ has a relocation kit, not advertised but send an email or call). Feel free to reach out with questions.

I did the same swap a few years ago FJ62 Axels, 3FE, H55 and split case, FJ 60 power steering. It is a great combo. nothing is too difficult. Just time and patience. I did move my rear crossmember back a bit to aid in clearance. (4+ has a relocation kit, not advertised but send an email or call). Feel free to reach out with questions.
Thank You so much!

What did you guys do to rebuild your existing leaf springs? I plan to keep stock height as I have no interest in trying to climb into a vehicle. My springs are rusty but still have a good arch. I have no idea of how to take them apart and open the clips without breaking something. I did by new shackles with grease fittings and poly bushings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom