Builds Katit's LX470 2001 restoration/maintenance thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Check the wire harness block connection. I'd then clear the code and see if it comes back. But likely it just was old & weak, exhaust leak taxed it (not good for CAT), disturbing taxed it and it just gave up. Fortunately you can pick up Denso O2 fairly cheaply.
Got 2 upstream sensors from Amazon today. Installed, reset ECU, drove for 15 miles. All monitors resets and ready. No CEL all is well.
O2 sensors best replaced with wheel and plastic cover off. Wheel off so you can have 2 hands under and cover off so you can see sensor.

Side Note: One thing that concerns me is the with reusing any crush washer i.e: A/F (VVT engine), O2s, spark plugs, drain and fill plugs is the crush washer never work well a second crush. So I picked up some: ACDelco O2 G18mm.
I'm same way. I feel like if you have it off - washer need to be replaced, especially on plugs.

IMG_1045.jpg

Project "AHC" completed. I already did leveling adjustment to set pressure and L/R side via torsion bars, fluid change. But this was before. Too high pressures (on a border) at rear were detected. Decided to replace rear springs. I got LC springs, Left stronger than right.
Set of new spheres from UK.
2 more quarts of fluid. Total 4.5, when I was bleeding AHC clear fluid comes out. Level set, fluid clean, hopefully I'm done for a while

Results:
Spheres I took off pass "pencil" test. If somebody wants them - PM me.
Springs I took off were much shorter.
Rear pressure improved by 0.3

Ride quality got better. Rear end much more compliant. I cannot tell if it's springs or spheres. I also see improvement in general ride but it's minimal.

I also almost put engine cover on and noticed something. Can you see it? :)

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

Got 2 upstream sensors from Amazon today. Installed, reset ECU, drove for 15 miles. All monitors resets and ready. No CEL all is well.
O2 sensors best replaced with wheel and plastic cover off. Wheel off so you can have 2 hands under and cover off so you can see sensor.

I'm same way. I feel like if you have it off - washer need to be replaced, especially on plugs.

View attachment 2112274
So Denso including anti seize now?

I had no idea Canada coil spring are different. I wonder why. Do you have the tech spec on LH & RH - US & CA springs for comparison?

Last edited:
This is awesome stuff. Great job! Waaaay too advanced for someone like me. I just did the Heater T's, evaporator box seal, Antenna mast and Bluetooth install and felt so proud of myself.

You went through so much trouble with the AHC overhaul. I would be so disappointed that changing the rear coils, globes and AHC fluid does not result in a markedly smoother ride. Makes you wonder where is this "lexus like ride" everyone talks about?

I have a 10 graduation difference on my truck and can feel most bumps and cracks in the road. Ah well...It is a tank

This is awesome stuff. Great job! Waaaay too advanced for someone like me. I just did the Heater T's, evaporator box seal, Antenna mast and Bluetooth install and felt so proud of myself.

You went through so much trouble with the AHC overhaul. I would be so disappointed that changing the rear coils, globes and AHC fluid does not result in a markedly smoother ride. Makes you wonder where is this "lexus like ride" everyone talks about?

I have a 10 graduation difference on my truck and can feel most bumps and cracks in the road. Ah well...It is a tank

I hated my ride a month ago. Got new tires. Changed the sway bushings. Love it now.

I had no idea Canada coil spring are different. I wonder why. Do you have the tech spec on LH & RH - US & CA springs for comparison?

Not Canada, LC springs (from LC with AHC)
See this post for all PNs: Coil springs for AHC

I got those 2 and installed xxx80 on left side:
48231-6A780 Coil Spring $103.76 1 $103.76
48231-6A770 Coil Spring $96.22 1 $96.22

They are
a. Cheaper than LX ones
b. Taller and I guess little stronger. However, according to pressures not that much. I was thinking they will drop rear pressures all the way, but they did not.

Well, I never said ride was bad to begin with. I just wanted to make sure it's how it should be to begin with. Fluid is not to improve ride, it's maintenance item. Springs is mostly to get pressures under control and hopefully prolong live of AHC(along with front torsion bars adjustment). Globes should improve ride and they did but as I said not drastically. But noticeable. If someone in STL with "perfect" ride reads this message - maybe we should get together and compare?

They are
a. Cheaper than LX ones
b. Taller and I guess little stronger. However, according to pressures not that much. I was thinking they will drop rear pressures all the way, but they did not.
Learn something new everyday.

I buy most large or heaver parts from my local Toyota parts guy. So I just order w/ or W/O AHC. Which in past orders of coils were for LC. I even have a new set in the shop now I just picked up. I never thought there was a difference.

Thanks!

They are
a. Cheaper than LX ones

What is your pressure before and after springs?
Will you add spacers now?

Was 6.7, now 6.4
No, won't add spacers, don't see a reason. I'm not towing and whatever I carry hunting/fishing gear is not heavy

Ok I thought spacers drop the pressures even lower. But no need?

Ok I thought spacers drop the pressures even lower. But no need?
They would. But my question is why bother? As far as supporting trucks weight - all is in spec. New springs is what holds weight and this is how it was designed by Toyota to begin with. Adding spacers will change ratio but I like how it rides now and this is not factory setup. I understand adding spacers when you keep old springs.. Or when you modify truck adding extra weight.

It is in spec now and it was in spec (on top border) before. To me it's good enough. Pressure we measure is also not "precise". It's what computer reports. Pump maybe lazy with age, etc. Many variables. Ideally gauges need to be hooked up but I'm done with AHC :)
Or maybe not done. Maybe I will adjust height :) Right now it's 19 1/4 front and 20 on rear. Should be 1/2 higher. Who knows, maybe after making those adjustments pressures will change? Also, I'm planning to do suspension work with bushings, etc. Maybe that will make difference. Ride will improve for sure.

You can adjust sensor, to drop pressure a bit putting more on coils.
I don't think this is how it works. Are you talking about height sensor? If I adjust height lowering truck than YES, it will(probably) drop pressure. But in my case I'm already .5inch low, raising truck by 0.5 will increase pressure most likely.

It depends. You can just loosen the sensor slide in the rear just leave to loosen for this test (mark position and don't drive). Then more weight shifts to coil. But you loose rake and front pressure will change.

I had one I just worked on. It been in and accident and sensors where bent. After straightening senors, I had to play with their position/setting in the slide in rear, along with turnbuckle and slides in fronts to adjustment pressures. It was a bit of a balancing act with sensor and T-bar to keep rake and not get front pressure out of desired range.

In the end I drop rear pressure, keep about 3/4 rake and interestingly the reservoir went from IIRC ~8 graduation to ~12.

It depends. You can just loosen the sensor slide in the rear just leave to loosen for this test (mark position and don't drive). Then more weight shifts to coil. But you loose rake and front pressure will change.

Wait a sec. What you did - you lowered truck. Sensor's job is to tell AHC at what height to keep truck. So, pump will add pressure until desired height reached (reported by sensor). So yes, if you let truck sit lower at N - it will put more weight on springs/t-bars and yes, it ill lower pressure. But your ride height will not be correct.

So, even though you did lower pressure - you changed bunch of other things. Weight distribution, handling characteristics, bushings preload(twisted). There is specs on how high truck should sit at N position. PADDO recommends 19 3/4 front and 20 1/2 rear measured from center of hub to fender edge. I assume this corresponds to factory specs which measured differently (and not as easy as hub to fender)

When you check your pressures, are you checking them with the AHC fluid temperature sensor unplugged like the FSM manual says? On my LX my pressure reading is 1.0 Mpa lower with the temp sensor unplugged.

When you check your pressures, are you checking them with the AHC fluid temperature sensor unplugged like the FSM manual says? On my LX my pressure reading is 1.0 Mpa lower with the temp sensor unplugged.
Wow! Didn't know that one. I will re-check FSM today. I measure looking in TechStream with full tank, I'm out of truck. I push from L to N and then once stabilizes I read pressures

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom