July Hurricane Creek Trip (aka Estoy Perdido trip) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj40alex

SILVER Star
Threads
The July OSNC Hurricane Creek trip will be July 20-22. @Roxx and @fj40alex will share blame in any missed turns or upside down map reading.

This is an Expo style trip in which self-reliance is the subject: Limited/no bathrooms, no gas stops, no showers, no guaranteed camping sites as we will be miles from paved roads at times. We will be seeing a mixture of mostly gravel roads, some paved, and even some 4x4 only roads. Along the way you can expect short mountain hikes, scenic views, refreshing mountain streams, cool nights spent around a campfire and maybe a bear or two. Expectations are that any Toyota with 4WD will do fine on the terrain we'll be covering. (Read here: You don't need lockers, a lift, mud tires, etc.)

As far as equipment, gear, etc., those attending will coordinate so we don't have more than 2 of most things (campstoves, etc) and yet ensure we have firewood, tarps, rope, saws, shovels, potable water, etc. At a minimum, an attendee would need a lightweight sleeping bag, tent, and cooler/fridge, and $ for the group meals.

This trip will be open and limited to 8 paid members of ONSC. We require that attendees have an active membership before signing up to give our club members a fair shot, given the fact that these trips are extremely popular and that they are official events. PM @erymer with any questions or clarifications needed.

We'll meet by noon at Sierra Nevada brewery in Asheville for lunch Friday July 20th. After lunch, we'll head down the road to HC (aka Widowmaker Turn off I-40) and make our way up to camp- either Wolf Creek Falls Camp or a nearby National Forest campground. Expect to hike Max Patch (and fly kites), tour the nearby 4x4 hot spots, and swim. More trip details to come.

Check out last year's August trip thread. @lumbee1 took some amazing pics.

August Hurricane Creek Trip - August 25-27, 2017

Update:
1. @fj40alex + Luke
2. @Roxx + Ava & Max
3. @roadstr6 + Nathan
4. @joyRidaz + a couple kiddos
5. @BillWright
6. @gaap master
7. @forrest5000
8. @AUGuy

Waitlist:

Last edited:
I’m in assuming I can bring a couple little lady campers.

Too bad,I can't go to both trips.

I thought you went on every trip?
Not on all hurricane creek trips . Got to let others get a chance, I would only go if it doesn't fill up,which is unlikely.

Put me on the waitlist on the slim chance you don’t fill up.

Operation “get 60 ready for Hurricane Creek” aka OHCP (operation hurricane creek prep) has begun with a long todo list that came out of a multi-day long planning session...

Realistically will likely only check off a few of the necessary items but good to have a list to refer to and think about while going through the motions of the day job...

Must do’s:
- resolder cb, and rewire cb to work reliably
- fab Tuffy Console Mount bracket
- inspect front brakes/rotors/bearings
- fab battery tie-down bracket

Should do’s:
- tcase bypass hose
- rebuild carb
- hibeam switch grounding
- possible brake job
- possible knuckle-job
- redo fire extinguisher mount
- phone mount

Impactful nice to do’s:
- r12 recharge after inspection of ac
- flush mount front bumper spotlights
- led reverse lights
- shovel/axe roof rack holder
- new paddle latches for cargo drawers
- weld handle on huge nut for spare tire
- inspect exhaust leak

Glamour items:
- repaint roof rack
- brown carpet cargo drawer system
- interior led (dome, cargo, dash)
-exterior led (brake, running lights, not signals?)
- jerry cans on roof rack
- sea foam air lines because it’s fun to get rid of the mosquitos in my neighborhood

Cheers

Last edited:
I want to come. i believe I paid up at Christmas but if not I will.
Also I had to bail on the Relic Run so I'm still owed a T-shirt (and sticker) from that. Marshall made me cry over the axe he won.

I want to come. i believe I paid up at Christmas but if not I will.
Also I had to bail on the Relic Run so I'm still owed a T-shirt (and sticker) from that. Marshall made me cry over the axe he won.
#axes #recount #oneforeachhand

Put down ,since I had to bail on the first trip due to my ankle .but will be headed out Friday after work .so just tell me the planned first campsite..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom