July Hurricane Creek Trip (aka Estoy Perdido trip) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

..... it's okay... I'm not going :)
Don't feel bad, James. I've been "that guy" on a couple of these trips too! Fingers crossed for an issue-free trip this time.

Sounds good, we will meet u guys there.

What about meeting at the 7-11 on Billy Graham (near the airport). There is a McDonalds & Bojangles close. We can then jump on 85 and head to Asheville. It's 2 hours to the brewery. Meet up at 9:15? Gives us a time for road issues or to tour the brewery before lunch.

View attachment 1746193

I think that is out of the way for @roadstr6

Don't feel bad, James. I've been "that guy" on a couple of these trips too! Fingers crossed for an issue-free trip this time.
Yeah I'm starting to sweat putting off my knuckle rebuild for..hmm...25 years. Hurricane Creek, in the rain, front bearing failure, no parts, no cell, warm beer - this has been keeping me up at night this week.

One day to go. Wanted to confirm a couple things:

-meal list is current. Please confirm everyone's items. Looks like all gaps filled. If we are light on something, we can grab in Asheville
- the CLT group of @Roxx @fj40alex @joyRidaz @roadstr6 are meeting at 9:15am to caravan
- @forrest5000 will meet group later in afternoon/evening at Wolf Creek Falls. If we aren't there, we will be at nearby Round Mountain campground like prior years.
- rest of group mtg at Sierra Nevada at noon. Please confirm @AUGuy @BillWright @gaap master

There are 8 trucks so let's use FRS channel 8 and CB channel 8. Different frequencies so we can decide which device is preferred at lunch.

My cell is(325) 370-8121.

See everyone tomorrow.

One day to go. Wanted to confirm a couple things:
- rest of group mtg at Sierra Nevada at noon. Please confirm @AUGuy @BillWright @gaap master
Can confirm @gaap master and I are leaving w-s around 9:30, should be at Sierra Nevada around Noon.

Also, I'll be making a Wal-Mart run tonight, if anyone needs something let me know.

My Cell: 334-319-7744
Voicemail message is for Guy's House of Latex and Lingerie', don't worry about that.

Does anyone have gps coordinates for the potential camp sites? Just wanted to add them into my route plan in advance.[/QUOTE]

I am still in. I will probably lunch with you if not I'll touch base and await you at the last rest station.
I had my little chainsaw tuned up and sharpened. Do we need a chainsaw d'ya think?
I have a little propane fired baking rig I will make blueberry muffin pie in the mornings and cornbread in the evenings. Anything else anybody wants baked it cooks pretty well for minimalist backpacker stuff, just doesn't brown (sort of like a microwave).
If the chainsaw is unnecessary I won't bring it.

I am still in. I will probably lunch with you if not I'll touch base and await you at the last rest station.
I had my little chainsaw tuned up and sharpened. Do we need a chainsaw d'ya think?
I have a little propane fired baking rig I will make blueberry muffin pie in the mornings and cornbread in the evenings. Anything else anybody wants baked it cooks pretty well for minimalist backpacker stuff, just doesn't brown (sort of like a microwave).
If the chainsaw is unnecessary I won't bring it.
Someone should have a chainsaw ,just in case .went up a couple months ago, and had to turn around due to a down tree.

Someone should have a chainsaw ,just in case .went up a couple months ago, and had to turn around due to a down tree.
Agreed. I suggest bringing. Last year there were a couple downed trees that required effort to get around.

I got slapped on this forum by a ONSC person when I posted GPS coordinates - since this is a public forum and somehow sharing publicly available areas was a no-no. Whatever. Anyway, I have a few GPS markers of random areas but I'm old school and bringing a marked up map showing all the major areas.

OK will do.

Any body bringing fire wood. I have no room for it.
I have all the meats for saturday guac, and tortillas.

Forgot about fire wood. Too late now for me to try to round it up and pack it in. Danggit...

We can get wood - hopefully- at the last Gas stop north of Asheville. Bill's chain saw will help there too

I've got a couple of those little hardwood bundles from home depot in my pack. Enough to heat up a dutch oven or two if we need it.

Also going to bring my coleman camp stove just in case since i've got a nice little spot for it available in the back.

When we find camp if some dead wood is handy or picked up along the way I can convert to fire wood rikki-tikki.
I don't have an axe or splitter at the moment but the saw should cut I'll check it first thing in the morning.

Home and dry.
Great expo, thanks everyone.
@fj40alex for road boss on any future adventures he cares to undertake. And son Luke for head aide-de-camp/radioman.
Where to next?

Safe paths, happy trails see ya there.
BB&Z

Great trip. Got home safely and started the dry out process. Good trails, great people, and new spots explored. Will post pics later tonight.

Day 1: Sierra Nevada Brewery rally point for lunch. 7 rigs. Checked out the garden & the self-guided brewery tour. Drove Hurricane Creek trail, past Max Patch, kids swam, fajita dinner, fire, and sleepy sleep at Wolf Creek Falls. Had entire place to ONSC. 8th rig met up there. Heavy rain started at bedtime and didn't let up until the morning. Waterproof capability of gear field tested all night.

Day 2: camp breakfast, hiked Max Patch, quick midday stop in Hot Springs, picnic stop along the French Broad, and overnighted at the Paint Creek campground. More rain in the evening.

Day 3: breakfast, tossed wet tents in wet bags, drove Hurricane Gap Road (unrelated to Hurricane Creek Trail), found Rich Mountain fire watch tower (recently redone and open), group picture on trail, then south to Asheville (in the rain) where rigs parted ways. CLT group made a pit stop at New Belgium Brewery, more intermittent rain, then home.

Rigs ran good with a couple hot-running / hot braking incidents. Nothing major except maybe a trail mod of exhaust removal.

Theme was good attitudes overcome any weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom