John Deere HIR bulbs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, I'm the one who felt ripped off that I bought bulbs at $24 each from the ebay guy when everyone else was getting them for $10 each.

That was a year ago and my bulbs are still going strong. I've driven about 12k miles since then, but I don't know how many at night.

So far, I've been real happy with the light pattern and white light produced from these bulbs. Definitely a step up from stock.

Borg is full of it. Sorry to be so judgemental, but aluminum reflectors don't 'darken' when overheated and this is an interesting first post that leads me to believe there's a motive. Troll?

DougM

9012 HIR Lamps

I acknowledge that this post is primarily for mudder type vehicles. However, the internet is a useful tool for all to learn what may not be available elsewhere. I gave my honest and careful observations about my particular situation and clarified that this may not hold true for all cars. There are those such as me who would like to have increased nightime low beam vision when it is feasible. I do a lot of night time driving in traffic and bad weather and know the benefit of good lighting. Speculation and physics do not tell all. Testing is important. I took the time to post my observation/testing for those who might have a similar vehicle and might put these lamps in them only to suffer damage to the reflector and a worse result. It was not critical of the bulbs-only the application. I used the term darkened. What occurred was the beginning of discoloration from heat of a portion of the top center of the reflector immediately behind the bulb. I have not motive other than to be helpful by sharing my experience. I am 59 and not into playing games or putting out disinformation. If this information is useful to someone then I am glad to help. I think that a reasonable person viewing my caveats of the limited nature of this application would wonder if someone else who so quickly denigrated this post was the one having ulterior motives. I have not. Have a good day.

9012 HIR Lamp

By the way, I got my bulbs for $25 each from a JD dealer in a small town nearby but he charged me $12 to ship them to me. I am saving these bulbs in the hopes that on another car or light I may have a more satisfactory result. In the last few years I have tried to stay away from auxiilliary lights since, even when they are legal, there are less than knowledgeable officer who sometimes stop cars using auxilliary lights in Texas. And some officer don't like to let you go unless they write a ticket for something. I don't need the hassle. I used to run auxilliary fog and driving lights on another vehicle and have been stopped like that.

I have an 2006 Corolla and it has the HIRs for months now - no problem at all (and from what I know, it's not different from the earlier year).

I only installed the low beam HIRs. Did you put yours in the low beam side or the high beam side? I will check with the dealer to make absolutely sure that 2006 and 2005 have the same headlight modules. What is your voltage output at the end of the harness where it plugs into the back of the lamp? I will check mine and make sure that my voltage output is okay. If yours if working okay, perhaps mine is putting out too much voltage. I know that slight increases in voltage can affect the heat output of the lamps. If I can get it to work without further damage to my reflector, I would like to put the low beam 9012s back in and try again. Have you looked at the top center of your low beam reflectors for heat damage. The one I installed the HIR bulb in was significantly different from the Sylvanio xtra halogens on the other side. Thanks for making your post.

JC Whitney's catalog show that the CE and LE for both 2005 and 2006 have the same headlight module. But the S looks different. The only difference I see is it seems to have a smoked appearance on reflective part outside of the lamp area. I can't tell if it is structurally different than the CE or LE. I have the CE. I hope to have time to check the voltage tomorrow.

I hope I did not irritate you, but I believe my asessment was correct. Some folks here have run high power standard halogens (90/100W and more) with no adverse effects except for suffering voltage drop whne they used the stock harness.

As for the darkening, I can see two interpretations fto explain the phenomenon you are experiencing:
1 - the reflector had a light coat of oily dust and the heat may be darkening it;
2 - the darkening you are looking at is simply a part of the reflector with a very thin aluminum coating (it is depositied under vacuum after all, so its thickness may vary).

If the reflector was indeed hurting from the heat, it would probbaly become cloudy first as the plastic would lose its glossy surface. Is that what you are seeing?

Anyway, don't feel bad about the criticism. I'm in your age group and this is a pretty loose bunch of people, some of whom don't mince their words much. This is NOTHING compared to the outageous stuff one can find in Chat. Cool, Man! :D

Thanks. I am fine. Just believed the need to reply precisely as extraneous comments without knowledge of another is in poor taste and does nothing to add to the post. I understand that others have said they have not had any problems. I try to err on the side of caution since I do not want to have to replace a reflector module if damage does occur. I plan to check the voltage the first part of this week first and then check out the reflector, Since the area or patina discoloration is not too far from the lamp insertion point, I may take a soft rag to see if the discoloration is superficial. The discoloration is similar to when a stainless steel pan is discolored from high heat. Kind of a patina color which could be similar to high heat when there is a light layer of oil. I will try to eliminate that possibility first. I also have noticed some separation of the aluminum coating at the back of the reflector, similar to the effect of oil based paint separating when applied to a surface that is not prepared properly. I do believe that the HIR bulb puts out somewhat more than the standard 9006 albeit not as much as the 100 watt bulb for sure. Probably the original design of the increase size of the globe in the HIR as compared to the 9006 was to help keep the increased heat of the filament from being transmitted outside the globe. I have wired lights with a relay and heavier gauge wiring before and am thankful that this 9012 bulb does not require it. Anyway, thanks for taking time to offer helpful ideas for me to consider. I will consider them.

Thanks. I am fine. Just believed the need to reply precisely as extraneous comments without knowledge of another is in poor taste and does nothing to add to the post. I understand that others have said they have not had any problems. I try to err on the side of caution since I do not want to have to replace a reflector module if damage does occur. I plan to check the voltage the first part of this week first and then check out the reflector, Since the area or patina discoloration is not too far from the lamp insertion point, I may take a soft rag to see if the discoloration is superficial. The discoloration is similar to when a stainless steel pan is discolored from high heat. Kind of a patina color which could be similar to high heat when there is a light layer of oil. I will try to eliminate that possibility first. I also have noticed some separation of the aluminum coating at the back of the reflector, similar to the effect of oil based paint separating when applied to a surface that is not prepared properly. I do believe that the HIR bulb puts out somewhat more than the standard 9006 albeit not as much as the 100 watt bulb for sure. Probably the original design of the increase size of the globe in the HIR as compared to the 9006 was to help keep the increased heat of the filament from being transmitted outside the globe. I have wired lights with a relay and heavier gauge wiring before and am thankful that this 9012 bulb does not require it. Anyway, thanks for taking time to offer helpful ideas for me to consider. I will consider them.

The HIR lamp uses a proprietary reflective coating to help the filament stay hotter and hence put out more light than a regular incandescent bulb or halogen bulb. The design was originally developed by GE with Toshiba/Harrison making some improvements (the current bulbs). Current draw is identical to the 9006 bulb which means there should be less heat output (it either comes out as light or heat, and when more light comes out for the same current input, that means less heat). I have to wonder if you in perhaps had a defective bulb.

Checked my voltage output at the lights and it was within specs at 14.25. Perhaps the 9012 bulbs that I got from JD are different than the ones from other importers. However, I can see a coating on them that appears to be the IR coating and they look the same as the ones on the other web sites. Is there anyone out there with a Corolla or other sedan who has tried these lights? I consulted with a mechanic who said the symptoms I described indicate too hot a bulb for my headlight module. I am stumped as to whether to risk using them for several months and possibly having to replace the entire expensive module if they damage them or just save the lamps for another application such as an auxilliary light or a different vehicle. Thanks to all for your input.

Last edited:
Thanks. I corrected my last post, above, so that it now reads correctly, 9012-not 9013.:eek::)

Last edited:
You can, and should, edit your post to correct technical errors.

-B-

You go girl
Hi Mecha.jpg

Hi ya Kurt!

I'm still waiting on that One Billion US American Dollars that you owe me. Can I expect a check this week?

-B-

Beowulf said:
You can, and should, edit your post to correct technical errors.

-B-

Beowulf said:
Hi ya Kurt!

I'm still waiting on that One Billion US American Dollars that you owe me. Can I expect a check this week?

-B-

What is wrong with you guys?! Am I the only one to find your post rude? AFAIK this isn't Chat, this is a tech thread, why don't you give this new guy a break :mad:

<<<why don't you give this new guy a break>>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyRLP3rHr7A

LOL. :D That's hilarious Kurt!

What is wrong with you guys?! Am I the only one to find your post rude? AFAIK this isn't Chat, this is a tech thread, why don't you give this new guy a break :mad:

83bj60,
Kurt and I have been around for while and we're good friends. My post was not intended to be rude but I apologize to you, to the OP, and to the readers of this thread if it came off that way. Some people don't know that they can EDIT posts. When a part number or a technical detail is incorrect it is best to correct the error due to the possibility of the post being found in a SEARCH. Someone very well may read just that post and not a complete thread when they are looking for something.

As for the non-tech exchange between me and Kurt, I again acknowledge the guilt and plead for leniency.

:cheers:

-B-

As for the non-tech exchange between me and Kurt, I again acknowledge the guilt and plead for leniency.

:cheers:

-B-

As the Original Poster of this thread, I hereby grant you immunity for your off topic chat, however, further diversion may not be met with such grace!:mad:;)

I will admit, that frankly, I thought it odd, that someone would post in this thread for the first time, when they don't even have the vehicle that this forum is based on, as well as the fact, that the bulb could not possibly be hotter (unless defective), since it draws the same wattage and is brighter.:confused:

As to a question posed earlier, I have had the bulbs pictured in the original post, installed in my 96 LX for almost a year, they are working great, and there is no discoloration, and they have stayed in place as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom