John Deere HIR bulbs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just ordered 4......hope they last but at $75 won't be out too much. Thanks all

e the ones we are all recommending. They are less than $9 each on rockauto.com. Buy six of them, install four (low and high beams) and carry two as spares (so that when one g
Cancelled the order and ordered 6- 9011's

Last edited:
9011's are the ones we are all recommending. They are less than $9 each on rockauto.com. Buy six of them, install four (low and high beams) and carry two as spares (so that when one goes out you can just replace the pair).

View attachment 2155784
Have part #? When I search rock auto for this it appears to show the halogen version.

Have part #? When I search rock auto for this it appears to show the halogen version.
BFF5ABD8-3036-44A4-BDA2-AC80B6DD7839.png

So what’s the advantage of these over other halogens?

Price/performance ratio is great. I'm sure there are some other halogen bulbs on the market that are better but they are also significantly more expensive.

In addition these are "normal" headlight color rather than the blue or whatever other trends are in at the moment.

On those LED bulbs mentioned above - I think its important for people to apply logic here. Look at the 9011 bulbs and see how the filament puts out light in all directions? Well the entire lamp was built around that assumption and the reflector was shaped to focus the light down the road in the areas the engineers wanted it.

Now look at the LED. Notice it is directional and uses two light emitters pointed 180 degrees from each other, with weak areas to the sides, and obviously some large dark areas because of the plastic stick they're stuck on? Now use your brain and decide if the beam pattern will be "the same" or something else.

By and large, it is a VERY unsound and VERY bad idea to use an LED bulb in a lamp that was not designed for it. Almost all of the people who try it spend a lot of money, and have to screw around making room for the heat exchanger on the back of the bulb. With rare exceptions, these folks are not predisposed to say things like "I spent a lot of time and money on these LEDs and I'm an idiot for doing it. They suck." Usually folks say things like "These are the best ever and everyone should do it!" as if they are a lighting expert and carefully took before and after photos and spent time with a light meter. Don't do it. They're getting better but physics dictates that retrofitting LEDs into a non LED lamp is not a good idea.

Installed my lights last night. Bought two extras. Pretty pleased with the result. The PO had one of the LED lights in the highbeam slot. You could imagine my confusion when I saw what appeared to be ground straps hanging out of the back of my headlight. While it was bright I'm glad i went this route.
I ordered two extras for spares.

Just ordered the Wagner 9011s (2 + 1 spare) on Amazon for low beams as I rarely use high beams. I am hoping for a nice improvement as it is hard as hell to see at night here in NM with our roads and crappy reflective lines.

Just ordered the Wagner 9011s (2 + 1 spare) on Amazon for low beams as I rarely use high beams. I am hoping for a nice improvement as it is hard as hell to see at night here in NM with our roads and crappy reflective lines.

I agree! I went ahead and installed them in the highs too. Rock Auto had the best price at about 7 bucks each. I live in the Heights too. Hey Neighbor!

Installed the Wagner's last night into the low beams, its nice upgrade. They didn't fit the housing as snug as the original 9005's so after reading some more I'm going to try adding the old o-rings pulled to the base of the new lamp and see what that does. May need to run to HD and pic up some self sealing tape + a dab of dielectric grease to make sure I get a good seal.

Got around to installing the Wagner 9011 bulbs in the low beams,, the driver's side was a little irritating to fit in the grooves but ultimately it worked out fine. It's a tiny bit jiggly so not sure that should be a problem though. The difference in night time vision is very noticeable for sure and I'm happy with the advice in this thread to go with the 9011 bulbs. Thanks all!

I got these bulbs, two questions:

light looks yellow and not very bright,
and not sure which tab to clip, They plugged in the socket with a little object but are now firmly on.

I got these bulbs, two questions:

light looks yellow and not very bright,
and not sure which tab to clip, They plugged in the socket with a little object but are now firmly on.
Lol, this is tech from 2 decades ago or more. What did you expect?

So, my drivers side low beam bulb is burnt out. I replaced them probably more than 10 years ago with the John Deer HIR bulbs. Huge improvement over the almost useless stock low beam bulbs. I think I purchased the John Deer HIR bulbs from Candlepower which seems to be out of business/ sold. Going back through the last few pages dating back to 2014, the consensus was/is to use the Philips/Wagner 9011 bulbs for not only low beam, but high beams as well. Is this still the consensus as the last post seems to suggest otherwise.

So, my drivers side low beam bulb is burnt out. I replaced them probably more than 10 years ago with the John Deer HIR bulbs. Huge improvement over the almost useless stock low beam bulbs. I think I purchased the John Deer HIR bulbs from Candlepower which seems to be out of business/ sold. Going back through the last few pages dating back to 2014, the consensus was/is to use the Philips/Wagner 9011 bulbs for not only low beam, but high beams as well. Is this still the consensus as the last post seems to suggest otherwise.
what did you ultimately decide?

Went with the Philips 9011C1s from RockAuto. Realized that I really should have ordered the 9012s as I needed a low beam bulb, but I see many use the 9011s for both low and hi beams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom