Builds Jacks 40 to fake 45 build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Front housing painted. Rear in place and ready for new ubolts and goodies.

20230530_153558.jpg
20230530_153618.jpg

Look like you used nutserts for the seat brackets to bolt to. I have been wondering if that is strong enough, because it would solve some seat mounting issues I have had!

If you think you'll need/want a little more pull through protection you could always add a washer on the backside providing you have access.

Last edited:
I figure the main force is pushing down due to driver or passengers physical weight. So the nut inserts should be fine. In a roll or collision, there maybe be other forces at work. The seat belts have significant anchors and those should take the main forces in that case.
In short, good enough for me.

Rear housing is painted.
View attachment 3336216
Also, not too dissimilar from how seat brackets were fastened to floor pans with captive nuts from the factory. Obviously wouldn’t pass current safety regulations, but neither would a lot of other things on any 40/50/60 year old vehicle.

If you think you'll need/want a little more pull through protection you could always add a washer on the backside providing you have access.
It's ight where that square tube part is for the frame on a 40, where the rear mounts of front seat go... no access. I really need to learn to weld. LOL

Now I really want rear disc brakes on my 40. And a 45.

@JackA did you set up your differentials when you replaced the seals, or did you have someone do it for you? If there's one design change I could wish for, it's that Toyota would've put those seals farther outboard so that they could be replaced without tearing into the differential.

I marked the pinion nut and kind of used my feel of the pinion tightness. Then removed the nut, pulled and replaced the seal. Then retightend the nut and restalked it. It felt pretty good so I am happy.
I have done this several times and never had an issue.

Looks great Jack! Do you sleep?🤣
I’m starting to wonder if “Jack” is actually a collective - sort of like Santa’s elves. I’m good at finding projects, but I can’t even add things to my to do list, much less actually get them done, as quickly as @JackA is pounding through this. Love it! Keep up the entertaining and inspiring work. 👍🏼

Dropped off the top for glass this morning. They are fast cause I already got it back. They installed the custom rear window and the corner glass. Turned out pretty nice.
View attachment 3338545
What did you use for that rear window seal? Did they have it on hand or did they use a couple of side windows seals? Looks great!

I marked the pinion nut and kind of used my feel of the pinion tightness. Then removed the nut, pulled and replaced the seal. Then retightend the nut and restalked it. It felt pretty good so I am happy.
I have done this several times and never had an issue.
Sounds right. As long as you don't move the crush sleeve/nut relationship (that is, crush it move or not contact it) you're not changing anything. In theory. I have a leaky rear pinion seal on one of my 80s that I've been procrastinating on; this may get me off the dime.

@JackA I lost the thread where you started to paint the axles. Is it paint, or POR-15? (or some such)

What did you use for that rear window seal? Did they have it on hand or did they use a couple of side windows seals? Looks great!

They had the weather strip on hand. Last week, they were unsure if they had stuff for the corner windows. I was pleasantly surprised when I picked it up and the corners were in. Great start to the day.

@JackA I lost the thread where you started to paint the axles. Is it paint, or POR-15? (or some such)

I use Rustoleum Proffesional spray paint. It's my go too. In AZ, you don't have to worry too much about rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom