Builds It was the Prospector's Idea (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Absolutely! Wagon wheels are cool, but not my thing. You ready for a visit?
I need to get you a list or hop in when you go see Paul the Montana grand master parts guru!

Absolutely! Wagon wheels are cool, but not my thing. You ready for a visit?

this weekend or next would work

I need to get you a list or hop in when you go see Paul the Montana grand master parts guru!

let me know what you need.

Roll Bar Questions: Hoping some of you can help us out. @3_puppies ?

Was there a stock roll bar that was offered in 1971?
We have a roll bar but thinking it's not stock. Post #69 shows the roll bar in our rig.
Can we fit "long" seats back there with the roll bar we have? Or do we have to find "short" jump seats to go with that roll bar?
Do the long seats fit with any roll bars?

Roll Bar Questions: Hoping some of you can help us out. @3_puppies ?

Was there a stock roll bar that was offered in 1971?
We have a roll bar but thinking it's not stock. Post #69 shows the roll bar in our rig.
Can we fit "long" seats back there with the roll bar we have? Or do we have to find "short" jump seats to go with that roll bar?
Do the long seats fit with any roll bars?
I don't believe that a roll bar was stock in 1971. However, SOR makes a bracket specifically to allow installation of longer jump seats. The seats are moved out about 2" or so to clear the roll bar. New supports are needed for the bumpers on the bottom of the jump seats to land. I recently purchased 3" x 3"x 2" angle iron brackets for this purpose.

Example of Roll Bar Mounting Keeping Long Jump Seats.jpeg

Roll Bar.1.jpg

Roll bar didn’t come out until late 73, maybe early 74.

Don’t put that in stone though, I’m not old enough to remember.

Here is a photo of the SOR brackets that we used.

View attachment 2781920
Thanks for the pic. That is super helpful. The Prospector and I had a long talk last night and after a lively discussion we're going with stock jump seats in the rear.
Now if I can just find a set of reasonably priced long jump seats...

Last edited:
Your roll bar looks to be aftermarket probably made by smittybuilt. Similar to the one in avatar, except w/o the frt bars. Its dimensions might be slightly different from stk.

Vacuum what?

To be honest, I hadn’t heard of a vacuum retard distributor prior to having our 40. It doesn’t seem weird now that I know why the vac ret version was installed but just have never considered anything but vac advance was even available.

Relaying this info back my fellow 40 owners, they keyed me in to the dizzy swap for a non-USA spec version which wasn’t worried about meeting “low” emissions. So we’ve been loosely looking for a vac adv type.

We reached out to @4Cruisers who we found through the classified here on MUD. Holy cow! What a find! And now we have this work of art under our hood. A rebuilt early F dizzy with vac advance! Perfect for our Montana rig.

1A1E8738-AD12-40AD-9E83-84B851F37D37.jpeg
70850439-CA88-4FD0-8DBF-5029BFCD7B2C.jpeg
8210147C-FC9A-4122-BE21-6C2815D3714D.jpeg

Please remain seated.

Our 40 didn't come with original seats or frames. The two front seats (from the 70s?) were ripped, stinking and full of more seeds (we had found the mouse previously). We were able to get covers on them to keep the foam from totally disintegrating but it was never meant to last long term. The passenger side was bolted to wood wedges. The drivers side had no slide catch mechanism, which meant the seat slid back and forward depending on hill angle or hard braking. Sketchy at best.

After looking over pics of other rigs and talking to other 40 owners, we decided to wait for something cheap and for something Toyota made to drop in.
Shout out to @hygge who donated some FJ60 seats, @3_puppies for sourcing the seat rails, and to Sailor at Heliarc Design for fabricating the mounts. Both seats recline and slides are operational. Sailor was even able to keep the drivers side tool box functional! I'm sure the seats will get recovered some day, but for now, it's just perfect for us. Smells better, looks better, and solidly mounted. A big improvement.

Before and after:

IMG-6018.jpg

IMG-8597.JPG

IMG-8598.JPG

Please remain seated.

Our 40 didn't come with original seats or frames. The two front seats (from the 70s?) were ripped, stinking and full of more seeds (we had found the mouse previously). We were able to get covers on them to keep the foam from totally disintegrating but it was never meant to last long term. The passenger side was bolted to wood wedges. The drivers side had no slide catch mechanism, which meant the seat slid back and forward depending on hill angle or hard braking. Sketchy at best.

After looking over pics of other rigs and talking to other 40 owners, we decided to wait for something cheap and for something Toyota made to drop in.
Shout out to @hygge who donated some FJ60 seats, @3_puppies for sourcing the seat rails, and to Sailor at Heliarc Design for fabricating the mounts. Both seats recline and slides are operational. Sailor was even able to keep the drivers side tool box functional! I'm sure the seats will get recovered some day, but for now, it's just perfect for us. Smells better, looks better, and solidly mounted. A big improvement.

Before and after:

View attachment 2794949

View attachment 2794950

View attachment 2794951
Wonderful upgrade. Nice score on the seats and rails!

Air: more or less.

In Montana, everyone starts buttoning up the house/car projects right after Labor Day knowing that snow is right around the corner. Every week you get without snow feels like an extra special treat. (Except if you love snow, then you're miserable waiting around for the white stuff). This year, first snow was last week, mid-October. The Prospector and I commuted in the 40 as we had a window busted out of our main ride. That highlighted a few problems that moved up to the top 10 list.

With the help of Mrs. 90WT, we got both doors/hinges adjusted and finally eliminated the 1 inch gap at the top of both doors where snow was getting in. Snow on my face is fun while skiing, but not so fun driving in traffic. Those top hinge bolts on the inside are a pain to get to for sure. Wishing I had some extra long metric wrenches.

Our 40 was missing the drivers defrost duct. We found some flexible 2-1/2 inch hose meant for dust collection systems for woodworking equipment. Worked pretty sweet and doesn't interfere with the e-brake or transfer case shifter after a little massaging. Added a defrost lock-out device too. :hillbilly:

Offroading with the 40s only group this summer, we drug the exhaust off some rocks. That caused an exhaust leak at the manifold to pipe joint that needed bending back flat. Upon closer examination, the intake/exhaust manifold had been reefed on the engine and leaked there too. So a new intake/exhaust gasket went on.

The aftermarket Temro rear heater developed a leak, so it got removed. We're on the lookout for a rear heater. Might end up with an aftermarket Maradyne type unit. Haven't figured that out yet. For now, the rear lines are plugged with 3/4 inch diameter brass plugs from ACE.

Not much major work for what felt like a major impact. Thankfully, the snow was mostly gone this weekend so work wasn't done in the cold. That'll change soon. Winter is coming...

IMG-8738.jpg

IMG-8755.jpg

Reading your signature line gave me a good laugh with respect to the dog hair and goldfish crumbs?
Reminded me of step #1 for cleaning our old minivan was opening the doors and letting our yellow lab in to eat all those goldfish crumbs, French fries, etc. Made him so happy.

Reading your signature line gave me a good laugh with respect to the dog hair and goldfish crumbs?
Reminded me of step #1 for cleaning our old minivan was opening the doors and letting our yellow lab in to eat all those goldfish crumbs, French fries, etc. Made him so happy.
Haha. For sure. I do my best to dirty the outside. Can't blame the groms and fido for dirtying up the inside. It's all good.

Air: more or less.

In Montana, everyone starts buttoning up the house/car projects right after Labor Day knowing that snow is right around the corner. Every week you get without snow feels like an extra special treat. (Except if you love snow, then you're miserable waiting around for the white stuff). This year, first snow was last week, mid-October. The Prospector and I commuted in the 40 as we had a window busted out of our main ride. That highlighted a few problems that moved up to the top 10 list.

With the help of Mrs. 90WT, we got both doors/hinges adjusted and finally eliminated the 1 inch gap at the top of both doors where snow was getting in. Snow on my face is fun while skiing, but not so fun driving in traffic. Those top hinge bolts on the inside are a pain to get to for sure. Wishing I had some extra long metric wrenches.

Our 40 was missing the drivers defrost duct. We found some flexible 2-1/2 inch hose meant for dust collection systems for woodworking equipment. Worked pretty sweet and doesn't interfere with the e-brake or transfer case shifter after a little massaging. Added a defrost lock-out device too. :hillbilly:

Offroading with the 40s only group this summer, we drug the exhaust off some rocks. That caused an exhaust leak at the manifold to pipe joint that needed bending back flat. Upon closer examination, the intake/exhaust manifold had been reefed on the engine and leaked there too. So a new intake/exhaust gasket went on.

The aftermarket Temro rear heater developed a leak, so it got removed. We're on the lookout for a rear heater. Might end up with an aftermarket Maradyne type unit. Haven't figured that out yet. For now, the rear lines are plugged with 3/4 inch diameter brass plugs from ACE.

Not much major work for what felt like a major impact. Thankfully, the snow was mostly gone this weekend so work wasn't done in the cold. That'll change soon. Winter is coming...

View attachment 2815372

View attachment 2815374
With snow and inside windows freezing youll want that rear heater to get enough heat in the cab to keep your breath from freezing on the inside of the windows. At least thats what I learned on my 74 fj40 living in Flagstaff so many decades ago.

With snow and inside windows freezing youll want that rear heater to get enough heat in the cab to keep your breath from freezing on the inside of the windows. At least thats what I learned on my 74 fj40 living in Flagstaff so many decades ago.
I hear ya there. I'm gonna have to pull the trigger on a heater soon. I don't wanna be scraping both sides of the windows. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom