Finally got some free time to check my work. It's 5 degrees and full on winter Sunday. Mrs 90WT gets the garage for her car, so the 40 is chillin' outside for a while 'till this snow and cold go away.
Plugged in the coolant heater for about an hour while I shoveled snow and helped the kiddos build snow forts. Replaced the distributor rotor, which I broke last week. Pulled the choke, hit the key, and it started right up! After setting timing, idle mix and speed adjustment, I was super happy to see 14 inches of vacuum! I'll take it.
I had to dig out the rig, since the street plow went by Saturday. But it was worth it. Cruised the hood for a bit with a big ol' stupid grin. I love this 40.
After waiting 5 weeks for my appointment with the vehicle registration office, I was able to transfer the title and more importantly, register some sweet old 1971 license plates under Montana's Original License Plate program. I'd post pics, but I'm gonna wait to put them on for a few days, until temps climb above 0 again.
The Prospector and I got a little garage time this weekend. And for once, no engine work.
Replaced the grade 5 bolt hinge pins with proper hinge pins donated by @Purpleaction (Super cool! Thanks again!) Only got to the Driver's door side and it solved the rattle issues. Now you can really tell the passenger side is rattling at both hinges and the strike plate. Just used the plastic bushings for now. Got some bronze onces too, but will most likely wait until summer to dig into cleaning the hinges, repainting, and re-aligning the doors.
Installed some used bumperettes we picked up from @3_puppies a few weeks ago. We were hoping to pick up some vintage looking ones since our rig really has no shiny parts. I'm diggin' em. Required tapping the old holes since they were all rusty inside. I find cleaning rusty bolt holes oddly satisfying.
And the original plates got slapped on. I lucked out and found a matching pair from Cascade County. Pretty cool since the rig was sitting in Cascade County when we found it.
One trick on tapping is to use a cordless drill with the clutch set about 1/2 of its power and a good tapping fluid on the tap. I agree it is oddly satisfying, right up there with using a steel tubing bender.
Back in the garage this weekend to adjust the valves. A little bit of a pain to get the cover off since the threaded studs from the head are long, and I've got a coolant line above the valve cover which restricts how much room I have to work. 9 of 12 valves needed adjustment. Several exhaust valves had no lash. Easy enough to adjust.
It was the install that took me on an adventure. In addition to the coolant line making it a pain to reinstall the valve cover, I had a engine lifting hook that was bent over the valve cover edge, just enough to pinch the valve cover between the lifting eye and valve rocker above the No 1 cylinder. I put some aircraft gasket sealer on the valve cover side of the cork gasket. And for the life of me, that stuff would not hold the gasket to the cover, and as I would try to thread the cover into place, the gasket would drop off. It was frustrating.
During this frustration, I decide the lifting hook needs to be straightened out of my way with a BFH. Easy enough. After a couple of whacks, from the corner of my eye I saw something go shooting off into space. I looked at my hammer. It looked at me. Back to work we went. (I should've paid a bit more attention).
With the lifting eye out of the way, and waiting overnight for the aircraft gasket seal to get more tacky (garage temp was 40), the valve cover went back on in minutes. While connecting the battery terminal, I noticed the retaining clip for the end of the valve rocker assembly. . Everything apart. Clip installed, Everything back together.
Now for the startup. Engine sounded smooth, except for a new knock. Definitely a new knock. At the No 1 cylinder valves. A long crowbar for sound transmission confirmed a tink valve sound above the No 1 cylinder. As I stared dumbfounded at the block, I noticed another valve spring hiding out on the water pump. It was the round one to go between the valve rocker arm and the retaining clip. .
20 minutes later (I'm getting faster, like nascar pit crew faster). Engine is purring again. No valve knock. Adjusting the valves gained 1 inch of merc, for a total of 15 inches vacuum. Hell yeah! (Beofre we started the tuneup in January we had only 7-8 inches vacuum!)